Motorway Service Stations

rotor47

We've just come home from a trip to Devon. Great time, nice enough site, far too many cream teas, draw a veil over some of the weather.

On the way down, we had joined the M5 at Taunton and stopped at the Taunton services where the caravans parking is in the with lorries. And very scary it can be too. We have a love/hate relationship with service stations - they are horrible but sort of convenient at the same time. Mindful of all the dire warnings, we also take it in turns to nip over to the facilities. Whilst it was CaptS's turn, a lorry pulled up next to us, the driver hopped down and had a long leisurely pee up against his wheel. 'Fine' I thought, 'well it is chucking it down with rain - but even so'.

Coming home today, CaptS took an executive decision to motorway it most of the way - M5/M4. At our first stop, caravanners had their own little corral which is quite unusual I think. Our next stop was for lunch at Gordanno services where we were back in with the lorries. Quite hot and sunny by lunchtime too. Got out the car and we were hit with the overwhelming smell of hot pee - it smelt like a rarely cleaned public loo. Clearly lots of long leisurely pees up against lorry wheels there then. Holding our breath, we hightailed it out - we so didn't fancy eating our sandwiches by then.

We stopped again at Membury - starving too by now. In with the lorries again, same experience - hot pee. Lovely! This time, we managed to pull in at the side by the grass which smelt marginally better and ate lunch - but, campers, it was seriously vile. Is this a new thing, are lorry drivers fearful of leaving their trucks or is it just a nasty habit? What does everyone else do?

MrsS

Edited by rotor47

Subaru Legacy towing a Luna Clubman 475 CK2 (we hope!)

All we are saying, is give bees a chance

are lorry drivers fearful of leaving their trucks

I suspect that is exactly why owing to theft, something the same as why caravanners will not leave their units unattended at the same locations

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely

Sorry still no excuse, this disgusting behavour should be stopped!

Volvo XC90 D5 AWD, Lunar Ultima 615,Towing at 62%

You have a second chance at life it's called tomorrow!

Vote with your feet and move on elsewhere. This happens in lots of the services.

Alternative is a written letter sent to the Service Area's head office. Send it Recorded.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Vote with your feet and move on elsewhere. This happens in lots of the services.

Alternative is a written letter sent to the Service Area's head office. Send it Recorded.

The standard answer which you would receive is that you should have reported it to the site duty manager at the time. A few years ago some service areas had notice boards giving the name of the duty manager and inviting users to contact the site manager if you had problems when using the site.

They're emptying ***** containers. I thought it was water at first but then it became clear (or not) and I know that folks will frown but I've only seen continental drivers do it. Not saying home boys don't but I've never witnessed it

They're emptying ***** containers. I thought it was water at first but then it became clear (or not) and I know that folks will frown but I've only seen continental drivers do it. Not saying home boys don't but I've never witnessed it

Yep there are an awful lot of amber filled coca cola bottles littering the sides of our main carriage ways these days :(

A local industrial estate had to be painted with double yellow lines because of foreign lorry drivers. They were camping up there, often dozens of them all from the same company waiting for loads to take out of the UK. The underneath of their lorries was their toilet, urinating and defecating.

Has the revolution finally begun?

Yes, we live by The Devil's Punchbowl in Hindhead. Those who travel in our area will know that about three years ago, we were blessed with a fantastic tunnel under the Punchbowl and the old A3 was dug up. Nowadays, the road just leads to the National Trust car park and some houses have been built along it. It's an absolutely beautiful spot. One of our local councillors tells us there is now a major problem with lorry drivers using this short access road for overnight parking and using the residents' front gardens as loos! Isn't that horrible.

Not just here in the UK either of course! Judging by the smell in the lorry parking areas many drivers do relieve themselves "on the spot".

I always try to find a spot in the designated caravan parking areas when abroad but sadly very often a single car is occupying the space (by no means only Nationals either!). I have been told to move by the French police when parking amongst lorries because no other spaces available. I can understand this when you consider the rules of drive times etc HGV drivers must adhere to.

Why oh why do drivers of solo vehicles take space defined for caravans? And it's NEVER a case of there's nowhere else. There may me multiple spots free but for some reason some drivers head for caravan spaces.

How many on this forum have had to drive in and out of an Aire simply for this reason?

This year I saw an unfortunate Dutch outfit being forced to continue its journey because the one caravan spot not occupied by a caravan was favoured by a UK Range Rover!

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

Last week we travelled on the M4 to Tenby. At the Cardiff Services, we too had to park in with the HGV's - really scary when it is full, the place absolutely wreaked of urine. We went to a little grass area with a picnic table, and it was absolutely disgusting. In all of my travels - which have been substantial and all over Europe, I can honestly say I have never been on a worse service station than this. I did make a complaint, but whether anything can be done about it I dont know. In future we will only use services that have a designated caravan parking site.

If I find the caravan area is full of van or solo vehicles or its in the lorry area I simply park in the ordinary car parking taking as many spaces as needed. I've yet to be approached by a jobsworth but if or when I am I will simply point out the lack of space in the designated area and suggest he spends time in there before attempting to move me.

2015 Ford Kuga CDTI Titanium X, towing an Elddis EX2000 Hurricane.

I too stopped on the M5 going to Taunton a coupe of weeks ago, the caravans were told to use the HGV area, the smell of wee was overpowering, we did what we needed to do and left, it was disgusting. It was Michael wood services southbound.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

I too stopped on the M5 going to Taunton a coupe of weeks ago, the caravans were told to use the HGV area, the smell of wee was overpowering, we did what we needed to do and left, it was disgusting. It was Michael wood services southbound.

Whenever I have stopped at that service area I have been fortunate, despite the best efforts of my caravan users who seem unable to follow the caravan direction signs to the dedicated area, to find a parking space in the area. If used properly the dedicated area can accommodate about ten caravans, if the motorhomes use their dedicated area instead of using the caravan area. Unfortunately, as you have discovered, the overflow parking is in the LGV area.

I could see the caravan area, it was full, as were the entire services, it was very busy, there was a temporary sign to go to the HGV area, which was surprisingly empty, 2 artics and 4 caravans.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

I could see the caravan area, it was full, as were the entire services, it was very busy, there was a temporary sign to go to the HGV area, which was surprisingly empty, 2 artics and 4 caravans.

Was the temporary sign on the slip road ?

When I have parked at Michaelwood there appears to be a more permanent sign which leads back to the slip road and the LGV parking. Some caravanners enter the dedicated area against the direction signs and if they find the spaces full the overflow direction signs are behind them out of their sight. Quite often they will block the area hoping that someone will leave and create a space.

The last occasion I parked there with the 'van one outfit before me drove straight through a parking space and attempted to park his outfit across the limited length Motorhomes spaces. Whilst he was trying to extricate the outfit no-one could enter or leave the dedicated area. I only stop there if I can see spaces from the slip road otherwise I drive through back onto the motorway.

Well we were obviously lucky and there was only us in the dedicated caravan area to start with. Another outfit arrived as we were leaving. The whole service station was absolute chaos, even though we were there reasonably early. That's what I mean about a love hate relationship. They can be very convenient, but generally aren't of course and we are left swearing that we will never use motorways again - until the next trip.

We have tried driving on if the only caravan area is with the HGVs, but on one occasion that meant passing through about three service stations. And we got a bit desperate . .. (Tho' not enough to wee all over the parking area obviously!).

MrsS

Is it Gordarno services southbound on the M5 where the caravan area is just a rough potholed area? I wouldn't use it last time I needed to stop

Gordarno North bound. The HGVS/caravan area is by the HGV fuel area. For once, quite a short walk from the parking into the service station. It is bounded by a grassy bank and we were able to get alongside that for as long as it took to eat a couple of sandwiches and then move on as swiftly as possible.

I noticed that there is another thread discussing Chobham services where we have stopped a number of times. It actually has a large dedicated caravan area, although it is a real trek across to the service station.

MrsS

I have absolutely no idea. But given Health and Safety's obsessions with - well with most things, surely there must be some sort of ruling. CaptS says he thought he had heard that lorry drivers were allowed to pee up their wheels, but why just lorry drivers? Why not caravanners or Reliant Robin drivers or tandem riders? Why don't we all just cheerfully pee wherever and whenever? Because it is disgusting for everyone else that's why.

MrsS

We avoid parking with the lorrys whenever possible due to this issue but due to the size of the outfit in some service stations have no choice, at one service station we had no choice but to park in the lorry area and came back to a driver doing exactly this but not very pleasent for our daughter who had to witness it. I made my feelings known i no certain terms, i beleive that if caught doing this in a service station they should be done for indecent exposure! A few hundred yards wouldn't hurt anyone, absolutly no excuse.

Volvo XC90 D5 AWD, Lunar Ultima 615,Towing at 62%

You have a second chance at life it's called tomorrow!

Having spent quite a few friday nights at motorway services whilst towing, I can honestly say I have never yet actually seen a HGV driver peeing against his outfit, but I can concur that they must as we too have experienced the overwhelming smell of urine in the lorry parks. Most trucks are emblazoned with the company contact details & I would recommend anyone seeing this practice to phone the company & report the driver to the transport/traffic manager ( if it's a UK firm ). I know my employer would take a very dim view of such practise & discipline the driver. It is also worth while speaking to the staff at these service areas & asking if it's ok to park elsewhere.

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "

Perhaps the lorry drivers aren't allowed to leave their rigs unattended?

2017 BMW 520d GT. 2012 Pegasus Milan

O wad some power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as others see us

It wad frae monie a blunder free us, An' foolish notion.

Perhaps the lorry drivers aren't allowed to leave their rigs unattended?

I believe they are. Most insurance policies under RHA conditions allow for "comfort breaks " & usually specify that the vehicle must not be left unattended for more than 2 hours. As others have said, there is really no excuse for this type of behaviour at service areas where toilets are provided.

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "