Replacement 7 Seater Tow Car.........?

Gone

Ok, our 2003 Kia Sedona is getting on a bit, now that's not to say she looks untidy, or is in anyway unreliable, BUT, at some point i know we will have to consider changing her.

However, i am at a total loss as to what can fill it's place, and do what it can?

Ok, here the list,

6-7 seats that adults CAN use, (and at 6'3" even i can use the rears in the Sedona.

Sliding side doors to make easier access in car parks.

diesel and auto

reliable, easy to maintain

good tow vehicle, must be safe to tow 1500kgs at 85%

under 10k to buy

and NOT £485 road tax?

anyone got any pointers as to what could go in that list? Looks are not the most important, nor are toys and gadgets, less to go wrong is a plus in my books thanks having had an E class mercedes!!!!

Ahh should have ruled out the Galaxy, wife did not like the way it drove or towed. I was surprised at that but then we all know women know nothing about cars lol

Seat Alhambra - great 7 seater tows 1500kg easily, had ours for 6 years now and had no problems with it. The new model has the sliding rear doors.

Spannax,

Have you thought about a Citroen C8 2. 2 - the later 173 BHP model is much better than the old one. I had a Peugeot 807 2. 2 but only the 136 BHP but still towed our old Bailey really well. 7 seats, you can get a diesel auto, sliding doors, not massive road tax and a towing limit of around 1800 - 1870kg so 1500kg should be no problem. I know some people say that citroens and Peugeots are unreliable - I have had citroens for many years and no issues. Did have an issue on the Peugeot with the DPF but was resolved - then someone wrote it off for me.

There is a Citroen C8 2. 2 173 on autotrader at present - worth a look. Happy car hunting.

Chrysler grand voyager. It's what the Sedona is based on. Can tow up to 1600kgs, more if you uprate the torque converter.

7 seats that adults can sit in. Stow & go seating means it can go from 7 down to 2, or any number in between, in a couple of minutes with a few very simple steps. No lugging seats out as with the Sedona as they all just fold in to the floor, anyone can do it.

Mine is the ltd xs & has power sliding doors & boot. 2. 8crd auto. Leather trim, sat nav, DVD player with wireless headphones for the kids, so no more are we there yet questions with them watching toy story while you listen to radio 2 in the front.

Bad points: American build quality, not the most economical, but comparable with the Sedona I would have thought. New torque converter is best part of £1500!!

You'll get a decent one with your budget, probably the newer shape

Edited by Woodie106

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

what is the Grand Voyager like for reliability, friend so mine had an 02 plate one that was forever going wrong.

what is the Grand Voyager like for reliability, friend so mine had an 02 plate one that was forever going wrong.

So so. To be honest mines been fairly reliable when it's been used. It doesn't like sitting for weeks on end not moving which sometimes happens if I'm using a pool car from work. Batteries were an issue but since I've fitted a halfords own 3 years ago it's been fine. I've have had a new torque converter at a fairly hefty £1300.

As I said in my post above - one of the issues is American build quality

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

So so. To be honest mines been fairly reliable when it's been used. It doesn't like sitting for weeks on end not moving which sometimes happens if I'm using a pool car from work. Batteries were an issue but since I've fitted a halfords own 3 years ago it's been fine. I've have had a new torque converter at a fairly hefty £1300.

As I said in my post above - one of the issues is American build quality

i was considering a Jeep Commander, yes it has the £485 roadtax, but i am beginning to think that to get what we need, then i'll accept it.

Our's would be sat parked up for a while, i have a car for work, wife has her Micra, sedona is purely tow car and for when we all go out as a family. I'd even thought about a Disco, but as much as my heart loves the looks, my brain tells me it will spend more time in the garage than on my drive!

Then there is the Ssangyong 7 seater, but the wife HATES the looks, but a 4x4 7 seater mpv????? Sounds interesting

i was considering a Jeep Commander, yes it has the £485 roadtax, but i am beginning to think that to get what we need, then i'll accept it.

Our's would be sat parked up for a while, i have a car for work, wife has her Micra, sedona is purely tow car and for when we all go out as a family. I'd even thought about a Disco, but as much as my heart loves the looks, my brain tells me it will spend more time in the garage than on my drive!

Then there is the Ssangyong 7 seater, but the wife HATES the looks, but a 4x4 7 seater mpv????? Sounds interesting

I looked at one of those last year or what is it the year before? Anyroad, i was quite impressed.

Commander Dave had one before his Isuzu. I'm sure if you send him a pm he'll give you the low down on them

I've done over 100,000 miles in mine since buying it 15 months old. It had a new gearbox at 60,000 miles, but from some Googling I think (know) I was ripped off by the local Chrysler garage and could have had a cheap repair instead.

Other than that, brake pads, two new rear discs (and fronts will shortly need replacing) at 137,000 miles, suspension rubbers, rear shocks. .. all stuff that I'd expect for the mileage. Battery only lasts 2 years - if you're lucky.

No squeaks, rattles or sagging seats. No trim falling off. No rust. Everything continues to work.

Maybe I've just been lucky? No way of knowing that.

Cheers,

Tony

I ran a Grand Cherokee for 90000 miles which is basically the same running gear with a different hat.

Could not fault it as a tow car and the 4 wheel drive system is second to non.

My main advise if you did go down that route is buy one with a full dealer service history. If it has not had all it's oils and fluids changed at the appropriate time things can start to fail.

As has been said commander Dave is the forums resident expert on the GC / commander and will be able to give some sound advise.

Mike

VW Touareg 3. 0L V6 262 R Line with a Unicorn IV Segovia trying to keep up!

I've done over 100,000 miles in mine since buying it 15 months old. It had a new gearbox at 60,000 miles, but from some Googling I think (know) I was ripped off by the local Chrysler garage and could have had a cheap repair instead.

Other than that, brake pads, two new rear discs (and fronts will shortly need replacing) at 137,000 miles, suspension rubbers, rear shocks. .. all stuff that I'd expect for the mileage. Battery only lasts 2 years - if you're lucky.

No squeaks, rattles or sagging seats. No trim falling off. No rust. Everything continues to work.

Maybe I've just been lucky? No way of knowing that.

Cheers,

Tony

`

As with yours, apart from the torque converter issue, mines been pretty good. At 93000 miles now. We've had it since 2008. All the trim parts etc are still ok - one cup holder on 2nd row of seats is broken but one of the kids did that. Chrysler wanted £70 for a new cup holder as you can't buy that one piece & have to buy the entire plastic trim for the seat, so i bought a pair of seats complete with cup holders of ebay for £25. Discs still as new. had front suspension bushes replaced at service a couple of years ago as they were making a knocking noise, but apart from that its been pretty good. Battery was an issue until i ditched the chrysler recommended type & bought one from halfords. just matched the size & power & its been fine for the last 3 & a bit - actually nearer 4 years now - as it was boxing day i had to buy it - hence the halfords special as they were the only place open in Chesterfield that morning!!

Edited by Woodie106