Recently got a Dorema awning for our 2014 Unicorn Barcelona. Size quoted by Bailey and Dorema 1093, Isabella quote 1097. Both these sizes fit into the size 17 awning from Dorema.

However, once we put it on the van found the mud flaps only just flap across the ground.

Have done a lot of measuring since as Dorema are adamant the awning is the right size for the van. Our a-frame measurement is 1108, Even if our pitch was perfectly level it would be 1104. Dorema say there is something wrong with our van and refuse to exchange to size 19.

We did measure the awning rail height before we bought van to make sure our existing porch awning fitted. It measured 149. 5cm. Since thiss problem I found Isabella have an awning rail height in there guide. It shows 145, so 4. 5cm higher. I have also measure the distance from ground to bottom of draught skirt rail. Ours is 41. 5 cm. Went to a local dealer that had a 2014 Barcelona in, theirs measured 37. 5cm. This is 4cm less than ours.

Baileys say that if our suspension had an issue we would have known about it towing it. It towed fine down M4 at 60mph and through the windy roads to the site we have our caravan sited on.

Am waiting for a mobile eng to come and take a look at chassis to confirm nothing wrong, but still now stuck as Dorema refuse to accept awning back. Any one else had problems with full awnings on Unicorn Barcelona II. Anyone got any ideas why ours is this much higher? (These are measurements with wheel on the ground.)

I do not understand how you are measuring your van for an awning, with mention of A frame measurements and height of draught skirt rail from ground???????

The normal way is with a long piece of string, starting on the ground at one end of the van, up through the awning rail and along the van, down the other end to the ground.

I measured a-frame, ground to ground around awning rail.

But for porch awning I measured ground to awning rail

What I'm getting at is that our van seems to be approx 4 - 4. 5 cm higher than the other Barcelona I looked at. This would add 8 - 9 cm onto the a-frame measurement, so put the awning into the next size up.

Wondering if anyone has had similar, or if anyone with a Barcelona 2014 could measure the awning rail height or ground to bottom of draught skirt, so I can see if it is just my van.

I am of course assuming the actual awning rail length itself is the same

1093 and 1097 are Dorema size 18. I would have gone for the size19 to allow for if the nearside of the van needed lifting to level it up.

17 1050 – 1075 18 1075 – 1100 19 1100 – 1125

Lunar Zenith Citroen C5 2. 2 HDI Citroen Picasso 1. 6 HDI. , Vauxhall Vectra Design 150 bhp Soon to be, 2014 Sprite Major 4 sr. With ATC.
The Internet has had no effect on my life whatsoever. com

I agree with wigelywoo. .. the Bailey/Dorema sizes you have quoted are within the size 18 size range, not 17. Have you made a mistake in the info you have provided?

It looks to me as though you need a size 18. Unfortunately Dorema do have quite a strict policy on returns. .. once opened they do not accept them. They state that all liability for ordering the correct size is with the owner. I had a dilemma over sizing for my new van last year but was lucky that my dealer had a spare Dorema canvas I could try out.

Mark.

Bailey Unicorn 3 Barcelona

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 7 seater

I bought a new Dorema Porch awning last year from Glossop caravans, I know it's not the same issue you have but. ... I didn't want the awning to sit across any of the windows so I asked the salesman if this awning would clear the windows on my van and gave them van details, "yes" you'll be fine with this. 1st time we put it up approx 2months later it did just that, no matter how I adjusted it it still had to be fitted across one, I rang them and they were adamant that I had the correct awning and would not accept a return. I bagged it up and took it back to Glossop, they showed me on the computer that it was the correct awning, I pointed out to them that the details on the computer were provided by Isabella, not Dorema. I don't really know what difference it made but the staff went and chatted out of earshot, then came back to me and gave me a free upgrade to the Safari XL, which fits very nicely clear of the windows.

If I was you I would inspect every single bit of the awning to find a fault. They can't refuse a return in these circumstances, even if they offer a credit note that will surely help you out.

Phil

Sportycara - did the van which you measured at the dealer have the same wheels and tyres as yours? I can't see tyres raising the van by 40mm but larger wheels could.

Tony

Is the ground perfectly level?. if the wheel is on a bump or high spot of 4 cm, it will make your awning seem to small

Lunar Zenith Citroen C5 2. 2 HDI Citroen Picasso 1. 6 HDI. , Vauxhall Vectra Design 150 bhp Soon to be, 2014 Sprite Major 4 sr. With ATC.
The Internet has had no effect on my life whatsoever. com