Which Regulator

KimmyandGinge

Just had our caravan serviced, the chap said our Truma Regulator was faulty, in that when one ring is on, no probs, but put more than one on, it lessens the flames in all of them, can't remember the technical name he called it.

He said it'd be around £40 to replace, should i go for the same, or are there better??

Hyundai Santa Fe 2. 2 Premium Auto 2010 - Sterling Eccles Moonstone 2005 - Kampa Ace Air 300 2016

It is a very common problem with the Truma bulkhead mounted regulators, they get blocked by an oily residue and become useless.

There are two options.

1. New Truma ( about £40) regulator and Truma filter (about £70 plus the cost of replacement filters)

2. Change to a Clesse bulkhead 30mB regulator which is a single stage regulator and will not block. (about £30 to £40)

Yes, common fault. Your options as I see it are to buy another regulator and keep changing them every two to three years or fit one that does not suffer the issue. ..

The filter system by Truma is great and everything but at £25 per filter. .. :o

Try this site --> http://www. gasproducts. co. uk/acatalog/Caravan_Motorhomer_Gas_Regulators. html

Edited by dreadly

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

I went through two trumas in 6 months, as it happened I could only get another truma at short notice so I fitted the filter and it has been fine since - fingers crossed.

Many folk recommend the gaslow regs which I believe are guaranteed against oil contamination http://www. thegaslowcentre. co. uk/magento/gaslow/english/lpg-gas-equipment/lpg-gas-regulators. html?gclid=CJO-ndK_yMACFecSwwodxRAANQ

I'm currently using a Gasit filter on mine. They used to do one with a pol fitting that goes straight into the bottle. It's cleaned with solvent as opposed to a filter and costs about £25. Worth a call

Silly question, so is that why one burner flames lessen cuz I've got oily residue in the regulator??

Sorry if it sounds a silly question, gas just ain't my thing.

Hyundai Santa Fe 2. 2 Premium Auto 2010 - Sterling Eccles Moonstone 2005 - Kampa Ace Air 300 2016

Silly question, so is that why one burner flames lessen cuz I've got oily residue in the regulator??

Yes, and my understanding is that it cannot be cleaned as it is more like wax. Mine went exactly the same way.

Mahatma Gandhi

Oil in the regulator will restrict the gas flow through it. One burner is fine, light another appliance or burner and then the pressure will drop hence the flames get smaller the more demand you make.

I went through two trumas in 6 months, as it happened I could only get another truma at short notice so I fitted the filter and it has been fine since - fingers crossed.

Many folk recommend the gaslow regs which I believe are guaranteed against oil contamination http://www. thegaslowcentre. co. uk/magento/gaslow/english/lpg-gas-equipment/lpg-gas-regulators. html?gclid=CJO-ndK_yMACFecSwwodxRAANQ

You will find that you need the stainless steel hose to get the warranty, if you take the rubber hose out of the equation, you will not get the oily residue at all, that is the best option, gaslow hoses can be used as regular connection hoses too.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

You will find that you need the stainless steel hose to get the warranty, if you take the rubber hose out of the equation, you will not get the oily residue at all, that is the best option, gaslow hoses can be used as regular connection hoses too.

I changed to stainless hoses when the first one went hoping that would solve it, someone else said to let the bottle "settle" for an hour or two when you get on site which I've done as well since, I'm currently using the bottle that caused the problem in March but there's nothing in the filter so I don't know if letting it settle has made any difference but touch wood it's still working!

I changed to stainless hoses when the first one went hoping that would solve it, someone else said to let the bottle "settle" for an hour or two when you get on site which I've done as well since, I'm currently using the bottle that caused the problem in March but there's nothing in the filter so I don't know if letting it settle has made any difference but touch wood it's still working!

Then you have solved it, my guess that the SS hose has more to do with it, the contents of a gas bottle will settle in seconds.

Forgive my ignorance but, apart from the stainless steel braid, what is the difference. Surely the actual pipe is made of the same material.

Edited by Disco Kid

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

Forgive my ignorance but, apart from the stainless steel braid, what is the difference. Surely the actual pipe is made of the same material.

No, the gaslow pipe has no rubber in it at all, it is an all stainless construction, with a gasproof layer inbetween the SS layers. A braided hose is just a rubber hose with a woven SS braid over it. I have the gaslow hose below. .....

http://www. gaslowdirect. com/epages/cyujrhdmmu67. sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/cyujrhdmmu67/Products/01-6020-SS/SubProducts/01-6020-SS

Edited by Marks

If I fitted the regulator myself, I'm assuming I'd still need it testing by someone in the know??

No, the gaslow pipe has no rubber in it at all, it is an all stainless construction, with a gasproof layer inbetween the SS layers. A braided hose is just a rubber hose with a woven SS braid over it. I have the gaslow hose below. .....

http://www. gaslowdirect. com/epages/cyujrhdmmu67. sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/cyujrhdmmu67/Products/01-6020-SS/SubProducts/01-6020-SS

Oh . . I see they are saying the oily residue that screws up regulators is from the plasticisers . . I thought that conventional wisdom was that it came from somewhere in the production of the gas and was in the cylinder . .

Whatever, maybe I am lucky, but I have never had regulator problems using bog standard cheapest I could find pipes from the days of make your your own to modern pigtails . .

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

If I fitted the regulator myself, I'm assuming I'd still need it testing by someone in the know??

Of course you should. But every time you change / disconnect your gas bottle do have that professionally checked? Can you smell gas ? if you put detergent or snoop on the joints does it bubble? It the answer to last to questions is no then I would suggest that the actual risk is vanishingly small.

Of course you should. But every time you change / disconnect your gas bottle do have that professionally checked? Can you smell gas ? if you put detergent or snoop on the joints does it bubble? It the answer to last to questions is no then I would suggest that the actual risk is vanishingly small.

I would highly recommend a drop test. cheap for piece of mind.

Mahatma Gandhi

I would highly recommend a drop test. cheap for piece of mind.

Which particular drop test do you have in mind ?

The rocket one ? :rolleyes:

The lift one ? :rolleyes:

The drop test to a concrete target ? :rolleyes:

The packaging drop test ? :rolleyes:

Which particular drop test do you have in mind ?

The rocket one ? :rolleyes:

The lift one ? :rolleyes:

The drop test to a concrete target ? :rolleyes:

The packaging drop test ? :rolleyes:

I'm sure they would all uncover numerous design weaknesses but they may introduce some small structural problems also. ..

I had more this type of thing in mind -->

mWT8tIe9hXF4Ug482h3cQIg.jpg

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/MONUMENT-30mb-MONUMENT-GAS-TEST-GAUGE-MON257-/290852543549?pt=UK_DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&hash=item43b8299c3d

Mahatma Gandhi

I find it interesting that to the best of my knowledge no-one ever fits a bubble tester to a caravan. They're really common on inland boats.

http://www. gasproducts. co. uk/acatalog/Marine_Gas_Leak_Testers__Bubble_etc_. html?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=feedmanager&gclid=Cj0KEQjw4aqgBRCvwLDi_8Tc54YBEiQAs6DLvIdrtjt_OekFZBVFQTTTizjv1QZwWvkaqoxkDT4-TJwaAjK18P8HAQ

Tony

It could be that with a caravan having gas drop holes they don't think they're necessary.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Spoke to my service chap today, told him i wanted a gaslow regulator, he advised me not to go for one as they are only single stage and all the oil deposits will clog up my burners!!!

I'm sure i'm gonna be told otherwise!!!!

Spoke to my service chap today, told him i wanted a gaslow regulator, he advised me not to go for one as they are only single stage and all the oil deposits will clog up my burners!!!

I'm sure i'm gonna be told otherwise!!!!

Never heard of an appliance being effected, just the regulators. ...

Mahatma Gandhi

Did you ask for the gaslow system, this is the regulator and the stainless hose or did you just ask for the regulator.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)