Home School Your Children In A Caravan

Doosan

This couple were disillusioned with Britain's education system so they sold their house and bought a caravan and are going on a road trip around Britain teaching their children as they go.

https://uk. news. yahoo. com/teacher-family-take-daughters-out-of-school-for-year-long-home-school-uk-caravan-holiday-133011243. html#2WFRd45

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

The Meeks have been regular contributors to the Caravan Club Story section of the forum. There is also more here http://www. theguardian. com/education/2014/sep/03/teacher-parents-kids-year-learning-on-road

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

I met an Austrailian family, parents and 2 girls and they where doing just that touring europe, but they used internet cafes to follow and take part in the school corriculum, seemed to work and the girls enjoyed the life style. That was Austrailia, where children on the big farms and ranches are to far away to attend day school and thing are oranized differently. My wife who was born into the circus was educated on the move and in a caravan, and she is no idiot, although I often wonder what went happened when she picked me to marry!

So maybe it could turn out well for the family

Knaus sudwind 500 TL C4 grand Picasso 2. 0 hdi 138 EGS Exclusive

They have cashed in on their house and given up good jobs as teachers and sacrificed their income, so that they can have a holiday for a year. Their children will not have the structured daily school life with all the responsibilities that go with it. How well will they all re-enter normal society at the end of it? Have they no sense of parental responsibility? Are they claiming benefits to support this frolic?

Ern

I dunno. I see what you are saying but it does sound like fun. Our little monsters are newish to the education system and already they are regimented and focused on targets. If they are not in the right government box at the right moment they are pressured.

I can see the appeal of this. They will learn a lot. .. but perhaps you are right and maybe a bit of both would be best. ... unlikely you woild find a school to accept it though so interesting. ..

Sometimes you have to take yourself out of the norm. You don't have to send your kids to a school, you do have to provide them with an education.

Wish I had the guts to do something like this. ...

Edited by sunshinetours

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

Great idea. I bet they'll learn more on this trip than in years at school. Teachers aren't the only people who can teach children and aren't they teachers anyway? Plenty of children are educated at home until university/college/highschool and I don't necessarily think they struggle to integrate. I doubt they will become hermits who have no social contact for a year. They'll learn to think for themselves something I don't think the current education setup does very well but something very valuable to employers, it's not just about what you know is it and it's certainly not one size fits all.

Edited by jules070603

Newbie caravan owner, loving it so far.

Mummy to 2 sweet little kids who love their mobile bunk beds :)

They have just been on Newsnight on BBC 2. They seem a pretty sound lot to me. Both girls seem very confident. Good luck to them.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels