Hob Igniter Wiring

Rifleman

Hi guys.

I have a 1997 2 berth Challenger.

Earlier this year one of my tyres gave way and the separating tread ripped through the wheel arch causing a lot of damage.

It has now had this area rebuilt and I am rewiring and plumbing it.

I have come across 2 yellow wires which are hanging down the back of the cooker hob.

I traced them up to a single connector on the electric spark ignite.

Can anyone let me know where these wires connect to please?

I see a blue box fitted to the outer wall with some thin wires which run to the fridge, so I assume this is for the gas ignite for this. But the cooker ones are thicker and I don't have any damaged ends for them anywhere to show me where they go.

Many thanks.

Keith.

If they are coming from the igniter/sparker then i would imagine they would go to where the switch/button you press to activate the sparker.

Have you tried on the swift forum?

You'll have to find the wiring anyway otherwise there could be a live supply dangling somewhere or other when you power the van back up, not ideal. Is it possible to chase it from the fuse panel end from the fuse that says cooker or is it on the same fuse as a number of other things and tricky to see?

Just fitted a smev oven in a horsebox and that had a 1a supply required for the oven light and igniter, basically two wires from the fuse panel on its own fuseway run to the small choc block connector on the back of the oven. Had to use 10a cable suitable for high temperature from memory due to the distance and volt drop. Just thinking it might be easier to wire it straight back to the panel.

Maybe the blue box is the right place and the cable used is a bit thicker because it is designed to be used in an area where it gets quite hot, could be mineral insulated for instance, if it only powers the spark it isn't going to be carrying much juice.

Yeah I was thinking the same way Sleepyfolk.

I think Iwill try to fit them to the blue box as there is a spare fitment on it.

If it doesn't work, I may just run a fused feed to the wires hanging from the spark button.

I'll look around to see if I can see anything in the little manual that came with the van.

I may also contact the Swift dealer which is about 20 miles from me.

Thank you both for your replies, and I will let you know how I get on.

Keith.

• 2 months later...

Well I managed to find a feed to splice into and join to the ignite wires. All fine now.

Well I managed to find a feed to splice into and join to the ignite wires. All fine now.

Glad to see we have ignition, did you remember to make sure there is a fuse protecting the igniter circuit?