Insurance / Axle Locks

Hello This is my first post after introducing myself in the new members section. We have now chosen our van and pick up a new Lunar Sussex Loxwood on the 19th. I have been getting quotes for insurance and it seems that most companies are insisting on a secure axle lock of an approved maker. I have been looking at the al-ko wheel lock but on reading reports it appears to be a pain to fit . I priced this up on the Lunar website as an optional extra and it was £229, I then phoned the dealer I am purchasing the van from and he quoted me £429, although that was from the secretary as the sales manager wasn't available so that could be wrong.

Do you all have wheel locks or is there an alternative ? I think this is going to be a steep learning curve since I caravanned 30 years ago.

Peter

I use the Caravan Club for insurance and they insist on one secure device so I fit a simple hitch lock. Other companies often insist on a wheel lock which I believe can be a pain to line up.

EDIT: Tis an Alko Hitch Lock.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

My insurers will only accept the Alko hitch lock or wheel lock to gain 10% discount on each. ..I have alternative Safe Secure devices fitted but they don't earn me any discounts but do give me peace of mind. ..

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

How is the Alko lock a pain. ..I have one fitted. .just remember to line it up whilst van and tug are still attached then slot into place. ...much much easier than crawling on hands and knees in the dirt tryingbto slot Twp halves of a heavy wrap around wheel clamp.

Just switched to CC insurance, as they ask for just a hitch lock or a wheel lock! Alko lock going in the bin! Such a pain to fit!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

How is the Alko lock a pain. ..I have one fitted. .just remember to line it up whilst van and tug are still attached then slot into place. ...much much easier than crawling on hands and knees in the dirt tryingbto slot Twp halves of a heavy wrap around wheel clamp.

If you reverse the nearside up a ramp in order to level the axle then locating the lock is not possible. I just use the hitchcock which is OK with CC insurance, and fit the wheel lock in storage.

I would have considered one of these or similar if I did not have the Al-ko

http://www. towsure. com/product/Full_Stop_Excalibur_Receiver_Wheel_Clamp?catargetid=520002630000002094&cadevice=t&gclid=CIHm8YONxsACFdLKtAodWlIAkg

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

Hello This is my first post after introducing myself in the new members section. We have now chosen our van and pick up a new Lunar Sussex Loxwood on the 19th. I have been getting quotes for insurance and it seems that most companies are insisting on a secure axle lock of an approved maker. I have been looking at the al-ko wheel lock but on reading reports it appears to be a pain to fit . I priced this up on the Lunar website as an optional extra and it was £229, I then phoned the dealer I am purchasing the van from and he quoted me £429, although that was from the secretary as the sales manager wasn't available so that could be wrong.

Do you all have wheel locks or is there an alternative ? I think this is going to be a steep learning curve since I caravanned 30 years ago.

Peter

Peter, welcome to the forum. You make some valid points or misconceptions.

1. You should search on ebay for the alko wheel lock, or other such websites. I obtained the alko 24 for my Lunar for the exorbitant sum of £50, hardly the charge of purchasing new. There was no problem in registering the device with alko.

2. The old chestnut of "it's too hard to fit". If I may say, that is a load of b. ..s. It takes less time than the other wheel locks I have tried. As "Barrychas" mentioned above, all you need to do is ensure that you keep your motor mover on, or your car still attached so that you can line up the bolt, hardly a difficult skill to master!

I often wonder about the common sense of some of the alko wheel lock knockers, ok it does not suit every one, but it seems that the general argument is that "whatever I use is the best" and these spurious arguments are just for trying to justify their choice.

Any way, whatever you use, I hope it works for you.

regards

"Those who ask no questions, learn nothing"

Dick & Rona. ...........Honda CRV & Lunar Quasar 462

Hi

I use a Full Stop Excalabur which utilises the Alko receiver. It is easy to fit as it does not fit snugly in the hole in the alloy wheel hence accurate alignment is not required. Towergate insurance were quite happy to accept it. You could also look on ebay for the Bulldog equivalent.

Sandy

Peter

Have you contacted ALKO direct and asked them the price of the lock as you probably require the whole assembly assuming that there is a receiver. I doubt if you will pick up the complete lock including the locking mechanism off eBay for £50 as that is normally the cost of the insert only, but you never know your luck. However as it is a new caravan this second hand may be difficult to source as there are many different types of inserts.

:welcome: Like the profile pic :D

As others have said Caravan Club Insurance do not require wheel locks so I went with them because I can't fit them in storage. I've been fitting them on sites but not sure I'm going to bother anymore as they are such a pain to fit and remove :rolleyes:

They were happy to accept hitch lock and alarm :)

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o

Peter, welcome to the forum. You make some valid points or misconceptions.

1. You should search on ebay for the alko wheel lock, or other such websites. I obtained the alko 24 for my Lunar for the exorbitant sum of £50, hardly the charge of purchasing new. There was no problem in registering the device with alko.

2. The old chestnut of "it's too hard to fit". If I may say, that is a load of b. ..s. It takes less time than the other wheel locks I have tried. As "Barrychas" mentioned above, all you need to do is ensure that you keep your motor mover on, or your car still attached so that you can line up the bolt, hardly a difficult skill to master!

I often wonder about the common sense of some of the alko wheel lock knockers, ok it does not suit every one, but it seems that the general argument is that "whatever I use is the best" and these spurious arguments are just for trying to justify their choice.

Any way, whatever you use, I hope it works for you.

regards

Easy I agree, but what method do you adopt if you need to raise the nearside wheel?

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

I have absolutely no problem in fitting the Alko wheel lock, (single axle), however, I understand that there are problems with fitting on a twin axle.

I'm not being dismissive or clever, but can somebody please explain why people find it so difficult to fit the Alko to a single axle van.

Regards, Mike,

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

I have a twin axle - first time I used the locks I didn't have a block of wood and jack sunk into ground damaging pitch, second time was a sloping gravel hardstanding and caravan must have slid sideways because when I wound jack down it got trapped under van and damaged skirt, third time I used them a key jammed in lock and snapped - I then had to find tools to remove broken key and was an hour late leaving site :angry:

In addition I have to jack up to fit and remove locks as once lowered they jam and can only be removed by jacking again. At first I wanted the peace of mind but as CC don't require them fitting I'm probably going to rely on the hitchlock and alarm - I still have the wheel clamp from last van if I need it which takes seconds to fit :unsure:

So far I've not had to raise the other side to level which will be even more fun :rolleyes:

Edited by Muddywheels

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Easy I agree, but what method do you adopt if you need to raise the nearside wheel?

I use planks of wood to give steps of height, with enough length to move the wheel to the correct position.

Which I have to admit is a bit of a faff and - without a mover - would be far from easy.

I find that I have to tweak position ever so slightly until the locking bolt will screw in easily. I then chock that wheel to prevent movement before applying the brake and releasing the mover.

This is on a single axle of course. Those with TAs require two locks to be fitted and that requires jacking up to fit the second!!

Of course all this hassle and the professional thieves can still cut them off in a short time! Had Bailey not provided one 'free' in the package then I'd not pay for one - even to get the 10% discount.

Edited by Rodders53

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

At first I wanted the peace of mind but as CC don't require them fitting

The CC club told me that they won't insure a twin without both alko locks fitted, I have scaffold board to jack on wet sites and a LocknLevel - guess you've heard about them on here? Which is a very good piece of kit that inflates under the wheels.

Here's a bit of small print from the CC -

** Please note that twin-axle caravans must have two AL-KO Secure or BPW Diamond Wheel Locks fitted on the same side.

Not sure why we have been told different unless it is down to storage site but this is cut and paste from my CC Insurance policy :unsure:

Security fitted Tracker, Hitchlock, Corner steady alarm

According to my policy I'm not insured for -

4. Theft or attempted theft of the Caravan if left unhitched from a towing vehicle
for a period exceeding 8 hours, if it is not immobilised or protected against theft
or unlawful removal by the use of one of the following: hitchlock, wheelclamp,
heavy duty chain or immobiliser or an alarm system.

Edited by Muddywheels

Not sure why we have been told different unless it is down to storage site but this is cut and paste from my CC Insurance policy :unsure:

Not saying you're wrong muddy, just that I double checked after reading on here and they said yes - both wheel locks at all times when the van is to be left unattended for 8 hours or more, that's why you can't get a wheel lock discount on a twin axle because it's a condition of the insurance not an option.

This page says it as well http://www. caravanclub. co. uk/insurance/caravan-insurance/caravan-insurance-benefits might be worth another check unless you like me are 100% happy with what we've both been told!!

Could have cursed them a few weeks back when my old KoJack scissor jack failed, the top plate flipped and sent the jack flying sideways out from under the van towards my face and the van landed with quite a thud - no harm done to either party but frightened the life out of me, I've changed to KoJack bottle jack now - that was easy after moving the waste pipes!

I'm not being dismissive or clever, but can somebody please explain why people find it so difficult to fit the Alko to a single axle van.

Regards, Mike,

I have, twice, read previous posts please.

John

OK John, I was talking about using the thing on level ground. My mistake.

Mike

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

I am with the CC insurance and have a twin axle. If you claim the wheel lock discount you need to have two approved locks fitted. I never claimed the discount and fit a bpw lock to front axle and a nemesis to rear which doesn't require to be lined up, more for my own piece of mind. All I am required to do is fit the hitch lock and arm the alarm if left unattended.

As we have steel wheels we can't use the alko wheel locks. We have opted for two Nemesis ultra wheel locks, one on each axle. Luckily our insurance company, Adrian Flux, is happy with this. They are really easy to fit and use and, after the initial setting up, can be fitted and locked in seconds.

Thank you one and all for your replies, our dealer has contacted me and will fit the al-ko wheel lock at the factory fitted price.

I have decided to go ahead with it. I know the c/club don't insist on it but if it's there I can at least shop around for insurance .

I'll keep you updated as to how easy it is to fit, if it's to bad i'll probably lob it over the nearest hedge.

Any way looking forward to touring again .

Peter

Thank you one and all for your replies, our dealer has contacted me and will fit the al-ko wheel lock at the factory fitted price.

I have decided to go ahead with it. I know the c/club don't insist on it but if it's there I can at least shop around for insurance .

I'll keep you updated as to how easy it is to fit, if it's to bad i'll probably lob it over the nearest hedge.

Any way looking forward to touring again .

Peter

We have a twin axle and have no issues with fitting the lock and we are old and decrepit! :D

DeltaT - are you fitting 1 or 2 locks?

1 lock on a level site simples, 1 on a sloping site with lock n level should still be a doddle but if you're fitting 2 locks on sloping sites and don't have locking receivers both sides please post how you do it with no issues - I would love to find an easy method and I'm not old and decrepit yet but I feel it every time I fit these locks :lol: