Ooooops!

Ich

So since getting the van I've always carefully inspected the tyres but never really been able to find their age.

However after some friends going to Cornwall had a nightmare journey (set off from Manchester and got no more than 100 miles and had a "blow out" on a S/A van, needing recovery & 3 new tyres. I guess from age and condition) I decided to just change them.

So called in a a local tyre depot today, tyres in stock at £55 each. looked at one of those on the van and I can find absolutely no sign of the expected age markings so suspect they are much older than I thought.

Good job as we're heading down to Cornwall ourselves in a few weeks

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely

. . had a "blow out" on a S/A van, needing recovery & 3 new tyres.

How does that work, Ich ?

. .. I can find absolutely no sign of the expected age markings so suspect they are much older than I thought.

They must be very old then, as I was under the impression that tyres had been date-stamped since the 90's, if not before.

John

Edited by Johnaldo

Sometimes the tyres are marked on the inside so then very difficult to check when they are on the van.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Got to admit i was pleased that a local company had tyres in stock and was prepared to hold them for me until Saturday.

Despite what the on-line sites say they do not provide full coverage of the UK this area being one of those not covered.

Definitely worth the cost, otherwise you could end up like me with the caravan at the insurance assessors and a probable write-off :o (although age of tyres might not have caused the blowout & detachment of spare as I believe they weren't that old)

As soon as we get another van/our van repaired, I'll be getting 3 new tyres

Which tyre dealers was it by the way?

Not too bad, 2 tyres balanced & fitted £100-

I looked at the mystery tyre with the tyre fitter and it had no decipherable DOT marking to show the date as he said " I've never seen one like that before" and it was a Hankook so not a rare make.

The other tyre dated from 2008.

Interestingly the two steel wheels are different designs as well, though the same size. But that's what wheel trims are for!

Interestingly the two steel wheels are different designs as well, though the same size. But that's what wheel trims are for!

Does the spare perhaps match one of them?

Does the spare perhaps match one of them?

The spare came from another source, but that could be a point to check.

To be honest I'm seriously thinking of not carrying the spare and getting a tin of tyre sealant, as the tug has no spare either. We've got recovery so I doubt we would get stranded

Looking at this

http://www. tirerack. com/tires/tiretech/techpage. jsp?techid=11

The one that had a date marking (158) was actually a 1998 tyre!

Looks as though I may have had some of the oldest tyres in use! There was not a mark or crack on them