Kia Sorento Towbar, Advice.

rowets

Hi all,

I've just ordered a new Sorento KX-3 and I'm in the process of getting some quotes from towbar fitting companies and the feedback I'm getting is that I will be wiser to go for a detachable one as a fixed towbar may well interfere with the rear parking sensors. Are they just saying that to make me go for the most expensive option or is this right? I requested prices for a swan-neck fixed towbar with vehicle-specific wiring, one company told me that swan-necks are not available for the latest Sorento's but all the others happily quoted me for one! I've had prices ranging from £350 to £540 for a fixed swan-neck, and from £420 to £650 for a detachable one, all with dedicated wiring and a single 13-pin socket.

Anyone able to give me the benefit of experience?

Many thanks,

Tim

Hi

I have the latest model Sorento (Dec 2013) with a fixed tow bar and can confirm that this does not interfere with the reversing sensors, I went for a fixed unit as my bike rack bolts onto the face plate behind the ball.

Sandy

I have a fixed towbar on my Sorento KX2 it does not interfere with the parking sensors.

Make sure the wire the electrics so it disconnects the parking sensors when connected to the van.

2015 SorentoKX2 pulling a 2011 Sterling Eccles Moonstone

I have a 2013 KX-2 fitted with a Kia (AlKo) detachable towbar. I never detached the towbar and have not had any problems with the rear parking sensors.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Verona + 2013 Kia Sorento KX-2 Auto

I have a fixed towbar on my Sorento KX2 it does not interfere with the parking sensors.

Make sure the wire the electrics so it disconnects the parking sensors when connected to the van.

I only asked for quotes only on 'dedicated vehicle-specific' wiring which I believe does disconnect the rear parking sensors when the van is hitched up.

Thanks both for your comments, interesting!

Not disconnecting the sensors is no big deal - you don't spend that much time reversing with a caravan on the back.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

We bought a 2014 KX2 and chose not to have the Kia tow bar so they fitted a Whitter which doesn't interfere with the reversing sensors at all. Hubby just turns the sensors off when reversing. One good thing is you can see the tow ball on the reversing camera so makes for easy line up to the van.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

I'm getting a fixed tow bar fitted on Tuesday to my 2014 KX 2. I'm going for the fixed option because I'm led to believe all detachables require the bumper to be cut and I really don't want that. Also my experience with the detachable on my previous car was that it was total pain in the bottom.

I'm not fussy whether the reversing sensors are disabled when hooked up as long as the camera still works.

I' being charged about £465 including VAT for Bar with Alko towball and 13 pin electrics.

2017 BMW 520d GT. 2012 Pegasus Milan

O wad some power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as others see us

It wad frae monie a blunder free us, An' foolish notion.

I'm getting a fixed tow bar fitted on Tuesday to my 2014 KX 2. I'm going for the fixed option because I'm led to believe all detachables require the bumper to be cut and I really don't want that. Also my experience with the detachable on my previous car was that it was total pain in the bottom.

I'm not fussy whether the reversing sensors are disabled when hooked up as long as the camera still works.

I' being charged about £465 including VAT for Bar with Alko towball and 13 pin electrics.

That's not true - many models need no cut - and even on those that do you may find that some suppliers towbars don't need a cut.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

We bought a 2014 KX2 and chose not to have the Kia tow bar so they fitted a Whitter which doesn't interfere with the reversing sensors at all. Hubby just turns the sensors off when reversing. One good thing is you can see the tow ball on the reversing camera so makes for easy line up to the van.

Is it possible to actually turn the rear parking sensors off?

Edited by rowets

I have a 2013 KX-2 fitted with a Kia (AlKo) detachable towbar. I never detached the towbar and have not had any problems with the rear parking sensors.

Suggest you remove the towbar at regular intervals to make sure the locking mechanism has not seized, then just put it back on again. If the locking mechanism seizes it is almost impossible to remove the towbar if you wish to.

Is it possible to actually turn the rear parking sensors off?

Yes there is a button on the centre consol near the Eco button.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

Just got my car back from the towbar fitters.

Fixed flanged fitting towball (Alko), Thule brand.

No cutting required, looks relatively unobtrusive, doesn't interfere with the parking sensors, can see the towball clearly with the reversing camera.

All that remains now is to make sure all the electrics (13 pin) are functioning correctly. I've used the same company 5 times previously so I don't have any real concerns on that, but mistakes can happen.

All in £461 incl. VAT

I'm happy with that.

2017 BMW 520d GT. 2012 Pegasus Milan

O wad some power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as others see us

It wad frae monie a blunder free us, An' foolish notion.

There is a button on the gear lever console that does that - can't see the logic ;)

Willerby Avonmore previous kit VW Splitty Camper,Ford Transit Camper, Commer Highwayman, Sprite Alpine Caravan, Rapids Export Folding Caravan, Fiat Autosleeper Harmony, Ci Granduca Motorhome, McLouis Glen 432 Motorhome, American RV Trail-Lite twin slide outs 8.2ltr petrol/lpg, Lunar Solaris Limited Edition Caravan.

• 4 years later...

I am undecided whether to get the Fixed Flange Towbar or Detached swan as they don’t do a Detachable Flange towbar for the 2016 KX3. Does anyone have the New model KX3 2016  with Fixed flange Towbar how does it look ( Pic would be good) and does it effect the Rear sensors many thanks