2015 Challenger Upgrade.

xtrailman

Am I the only one that's confused when Swift TV shows the 2015 range and proudly say the door has now been upgraded to a solid one piece door?

Or am I the only one that actually uses the stable door?

To my mind its like going backwards in time.

Edited by xtrailman

Am I the only one that's confused when Swift TV shows the 2015 range and proudly say the door has now been upgraded to a solid one piece door?Or am I the only one that actually uses the stable door?To my mind its like going backwards in time.

Quite agree with you and the door doesn't have an opening window either.

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

I think it looks good.

We normally use our door flyscreen . .. therefore have the whole door open as the door mounted bin would be in the way.

The one piece door feels very solid.

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design

I

The one piece door feels very solid.

And this I guess is why they have done it.

A split door is surely just another water entry point. If you need ventilation then that is what a full size fly screen is for?..

I remember stable doors being a tad 'flimsy' in the old days and perhaps they haven't moved on much?

Martin. ..........

Nothing wrong with our split door. Solid!

Solid door with opening window would be acceptable.

Edited by Jslocks

John

Would a opening door window make it more easy for a would be thief?

Thief yanks on door window, breaks catches, opens window, leans inside and unlocks door, and in they go. ...

Beats them going through the window then?

Edited by Scaramanga

Am I the only one that's confused when Swift TV shows the 2015 range and proudly say the door has now been upgraded to a solid one piece door?

Or am I the only one that actually uses the stable door?

To my mind its like going backwards in time.

Completely agree. We would be lost without the stable door as it allows to get plenty of fresh air in the van whilst keep the dog secure. He would just walk through and destroy the fly screen.

Crackers!

Education is important but beer is more importanter.

I suspect it has to do with the grade 3 insulation, as a one piece door gives a much better seal than a stable door. I agree though that the stable door had definite benefits in the summer if you have a pet.

2020 VW Touareg R line towing 2019 VIP 565 with powertouch mover.

I suspect its more to do with cost saving?

Unicorn has grade 3 with a stable door.

Completely agree. We would be lost without the stable door as it allows to get plenty of fresh air in the van whilst keep the dog secure. He would just walk through and destroy the fly screen.

Crackers!

That's important to us as well.

Opening window in door could be an alternative, but it would need to slide down into door, like a car window, otherwise I can see Open Window, followed by Open Door, and Broken Window!

I suspect it has to do with the grade 3 insulation, as a one piece door gives a much better seal than a stable door. I agree though that the stable door had definite benefits in the summer if you have a pet.

My 2014 sprite has a stable door and is grade 3 insulated. Stable door essential with toddlers as fly screen would be destroyed by our delightfully considerate children!

We only went in to have a look!!!

Well the full door is now on the 2015 challenger range as well as the smart HT range where I first saw it.

In fact I'm sure the early HT models didn't even have a door window?

Edited by xtrailman

split doors are actually easier to get into than solid doors for thief's, having a join is actually a weak point which makes them very venerable to attacks if they are that way inclined, split doors are usually cheaper to buy compared to the Solid doors

also the solid door has a 3 point locking system, so not thief proof, but certainly better than the regular setup.

So you could kind of say its an upgrade in security and the solidness of the door its self, but maybe not as user friendly depending on if you use the stable door or not.

Edited by Caravantech

More secure?

Its a caravan which must have a security score of one out of ten.

I once viewed a caravan which had obviously been stolen, people were the traveller type.

Every locker and the door locks had been forced, so entry had been gained with a screwdriver or similar.

To get into my Valencia all I would do is force the under bed locker and get in that way.

Edited by xtrailman

• 2 weeks later...

As any caravan is about as secure as a wet paper bag I'll throw that argument away. We have a stable door at home and in the current van, as as far as SWMBO is concerned that is the way it will stay. It is probably the most used form of ventilation we use.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

In all the years I've been caravaning I've never used a stable door as it is intended because I can't abide flys and fly screens can't be used with them.

I would prefer a single piece door as it feels more solid.

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o

In all the years I've been caravaning I've never used a stable door as it is intended because I can't abide flys and fly screens can't be used with them.

I would prefer a single piece door as it feels more solid.

You can use the fly screen if you remove the bin which is what we do. Opening the top door when making toast or cooking allows the smells to disipate more quickly. Not too sure we would miss it much though and would probably get used to it. As I said before, an opening window would solve all the problems.

John

split doors are actually easier to get into than solid doors for thief's, having a join is actually a weak point which makes them very venerable to attacks if they are that way inclined, split doors are usually cheaper to buy compared to the Solid doors

also the solid door has a 3 point locking system, so not thief proof, but certainly better than the regular setup.

So you could kind of say its an upgrade in security and the solidness of the door its self, but maybe not as user friendly depending on if you use the stable door or not.

Great idea If its got a three point locking system. Most caravans are still broken into via the door. Mind you it would destroy the side wall if they try to enter it but there again the side wall would be damaged with either door. Good security if travelling abroad to stop any scum getting at the folk inside the caravan.

We never use our stable door and to be honest I cannot remember the last time I saw one been used.

A full solid door is good for me. ;)

We prefer the stable door as we have pets and security does not come into the equation as just as easy to jack open the solid door instead of the stable door.

On the Sport Range they have removed the ATC which was a standard fit indicating the Swift have no interest in safety. The ATC is now an option at additional cost. On the current Challengers they have the Tracker Retrieve instead of Monitor whereas I am told that before it was a proper tracking system. Seems Swift are going backwards instead of forwards. The only thing that has moved forward is the prices.

You can use the fly screen if you remove the bin which is what we do.

Even that's a design choice. You used to have fly screens that were pulled down from the top to meet the stable door in the middle.

Given that the security angle is probably a bit spurious, I do think we may have a bit of an "offside bbq point" faux pas here. It's going to be seriously undesirable for dog owners and parents of toddlers, and I suspect together they make up a large minority of caravan owners.