Smartflo To Surge Damper Connector

ChrisUK

There is a connector between the Smartflo internal pump and the surge damper which I can not work out how it works (not wanting to damage it.) see photo, how do you disconnect and is there an O ring in there? I note that with no pressure you can push it in a couple of mm, but once the system is pressurised it pushes out to its limit and is then solid, with no leaks.

My reason for asking is that at the end of the holiday last week, I was draining down to come home and I noticed a small patch of water (egg cup full?) under the pump / drain down area. I've been to the van in storage today, connected the water, bled and pressured the system, and no leaks. OK, but being a DIY type I would like to know how the connector works, I have a suspicion that there must be an O ring in there somewhere.

post-13194-0-16920700-1409741085_thumb.jpg

post-13194-0-43066300-1409741097_thumb.jpg

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

Some of these connectors rely on the system pressure

to make the seal initially, Most of these push fit fittings

use a key that simultaneously depress either lugs or the

end ring. I have used a thin spanner to do this before now.

Looking at the bottom photo it appears to me that there's a ring (pale green on the photo) that would need to be pressed towards the left (into the black bit). That's assuming that it works like most of the John Guest type fittings.

Tony

Looking at the bottom photo it appears to me that there's a ring (pale green on the photo) that would need to be pressed towards the left (into the black bit). That's assuming that it works like most of the John Guest type fittings.

Tony

Thanks for the replies, I did wonder if pressing in the lugs? would then permit the connector to come out, if this is the case I presume there must be a O ring on the insert? I have left the system pressurised over night (but pump off) and will go to storage today to see if I have any leaks.

Generally I believe in "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but as an old DIYer I do like to know how things work in case I have to do something on site. I must remember to put some O ring spares in my already overloaded spares / tool bag!

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

Thanks for the replies, I did wonder if pressing in the lugs? would then permit the connector to come out

My guess (and it is only a guess) is that pushing in the ring would depress the lugs as part of its function.

Went to the van tonight and no leak, water still pressurised with pump off. So I probably will never know. I'm still intrigued as to how the connector works but I don't want to investigate further as it is not leaking. I'm convinced there must be an O ring in there that perhaps leaked a bit when I released the pressure to drain down for travelling. Next time out I shall carry a selection of O rings.

Thanks for the replies.