Caravan Insurance Refused

ribs99

We have our newly (new to us) purchased caravan in storage at Medway Marina and as part of the terms we had to have it insured. We did this and used a comparison website to find the cheapest insurance on offer. We paid £33. 00 for a year so I was happy.

They have just sent me an email saying that the insurance has been cancelled because the storage site is in a high flood risk area. The site has a CaSSOA gold award so I'm quite suprised by this.

This is not a complaint, it's just to let anyone know if they plan to store their caravan in the same location. For me I don't care as the site thinks we have insurance and we don't plan on keeping it there for very long anyway.

So if your caravan explodes and destroys everyone else's property, then that's OK.

CPDavis Fordingbridge

£33 per year insurance !!! cant be much cop for that sort of money, how old is the caravan?

plus dont forget insurance is not only cover for your own van, for for damage cover for others if you are at fault

IMHO irresponsible not to insure a caravan of any age and value

Edited by SP1

ribs99, on 03 Sept 2014 - 11:40 AM, said:

We have our newly (new to us) purchased caravan in storage at Medway Marina and as part of the terms we had to have it insured. We did this and used a comparison website to find the cheapest insurance on offer. We paid £33. 00 for a year so I was happy.

They have just sent me an email saying that the insurance has been cancelled because the storage site is in a high flood risk area. The site has a CaSSOA gold award so I'm quite suprised by this.

This is not a complaint, it's just to let anyone know if they plan to store their caravan in the same location. For me I don't care as the site thinks we have insurance and we don't plan on keeping it there for very long anyway.

I don't think the CaSSOA has any thing to do with flood risk. It is to do with the level of site security. So the flood risk thing wont really have any bearing on it's rating.

Sounds as if wherever it is, is going to start losing business. .

Insurers are indeed getting very 'jumpy' about postcodes that fall into a theoretical flood risk area even when somewhere hasn't flooded in recent memory.

Martin. ..........

Insurers are indeed getting very 'jumpy' about postcodes that fall into a theoretical flood risk area even when somewhere hasn't flooded in recent memory.

I would have thought they would have picked this up at the application stage, the site was listed on their site and I just selected it from the list supplied. Also, Medway Marina kind of makes it obvious that it's near water :D

We don't plan to keep it their too long, just waiting for a place to become available at another location.

So if your caravan explodes and destroys everyone else's property, then that's OK.

Yes I hear that caravans often spontaneously explode, they're like sitting bombs waiting to go off :unsure:

Please don't make this a debate about insuring a caravan, if you want that go here: http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/98096-caravan-insurance-yes-or-no/

Edited by ribs99

£33 per year insurance !!! cant be much cop for that sort of money, how old is the caravan?

plus dont forget insurance is not only cover for your own van, for for damage cover for others if you are at fault

IMHO irresponsible not to insure a caravan of any age and value

Just need to add caravan to household insurance and any claims against you will be covered under 3rd party liability.

It helps to think outside the box occasionally.

If you have household insurance and car insurance, you don't need caravan insurance

Pete
Range Rover(s) towing Buccaneer Caravel

I had this problem too, my caravan storage is close to a flood area and the insurance company declined insurance. I just went elsewhere (safeguard and now caravan club insurance) and there wasn't a problem.

ribs99, on 03 Sept 2014 - 12:50 PM, said:

I would have thought they would have picked this up at the application stage, the site was listed on their site and I just selected it from the list supplied. Also, Medway Marina kind of makes it obvious that it's near water :D

I don't think that makes a lot of difference in the wacky world of insurance - I participate in a boating forum and somebody on there has just had their boat insurance renewal declined because - guess what?

It's moored in an area considered a flood risk!!

You couldn't make it up.

Martin. ..........

We don't plan to keep it their too long, just waiting for a place to become available at another location.

Yes I hear that caravans often spontaneously explode, they're like sitting bombs waiting to go off :unsure:

No, they only explode once usually, as happened in a compound near Southampton two or three years ago, taking eight other caravans with it.

The compound you use have their T&C's to use their facility. a shame you feel above complying.

Please don't make this a debate about insuring a caravan, if you want that go here: http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/98096-caravan-insurance-yes-or-no/

CPDavis Fordingbridge

The compound you use have their T&C's to use their facility. a shame you feel above complying.

The compound forces you to take insurance to cover themselves, if it's stolen or damaged whilst on the site you claim off your own insurance. If they have to move your caravan and damage it in the process, guess what, you claim off your insurance.

I'll take my chances.

I still can't believe £33 a year. ...£200 a year less than mine, which isn't stored on a site. ...........BUT I have had numerous claims including total loss, damage to a French car and a lost wheel damage. ........but still cannot accept that £33 covered much. ...

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Am I the only one thinking that you've now had insurance refused once, it could cause a big problem?

I know I am asked every time if I've ever had insurance refused or cancelled so I guess you have to declare that when your car, house, life insurance comes up for renewal and they ask. ... might cause problems? Or might be nothing.

Just need to add caravan to household insurance and any claims against you will be covered under 3rd party liability.

It helps to think outside the box occasionally.

If you have household insurance and car insurance, you don't need caravan insurance

Is this correct? My wife doesn't seem to think so and she's worked in motor and household insurance for almost 30yrs, she is advising that you check with the policy provider if this is how you insure your caravan. Of course she understands that different companies do have differing policies and it could be one that she's not heard of. But worth checking anyway.

Am I the only one thinking that you've now had insurance refused once, it could cause a big problem?

I know I am asked every time if I've ever had insurance refused or cancelled so I guess you have to declare that when your car, house, life insurance comes up for renewal and they ask. ... might cause problems? Or might be nothing.

I don't plan on getting caravan insurance so this wouldn't be an issue for me and I certainly won't be mentioning this when the car insurance is renewed.

I still can't believe £33 a year. ...£200 a year less than mine, which isn't stored on a site. ...........BUT I have had numerous claims including total loss, damage to a French car and a lost wheel damage. ........but still cannot accept that £33 covered much. ...

geoff

I very much doubt the insurance was worth much more than the paper it was written. The point was we needed insurance as it's a requirement of the storage site so I just picked the cheapest I could find.

I don't plan on getting caravan insurance so this wouldn't be an issue for me and I certainly won't be mentioning this when the car insurance is renewed.

That is the point though. You may not mention it, fair enough.

But if an insurer asks you have to answer honestly. Or you potentially invalidate any policy.

Insurance companies share information.

Martin. ..........

Is this correct? My wife doesn't seem to think so and she's worked in motor and household insurance for almost 30yrs, she is advising that you check with the policy provider if this is how you insure your caravan. Of course she understands that different companies do have differing policies and it could be one that she's not heard of. But worth checking anyway.

No I think you are right. You can theoretically add caravan insurance to your home insurance but in my experience this is a bolt on subject to additional premium.

its easy to think its automatically included as often it appears in the policy document but with a caveat that it also needs to be on your policy schedule. .. which it probably wont be unless you call up and pay the extra.

This would in effect operate as a normal varavan insurance at this point. .. but do check its not a bolt on and check its actually on ypur hoisehold schedule.

Usual rules apply I. e liabilities and accidential damage under the caravan or household add on. .. any motor liability under your car insurance.

Do be a bit careful with the household route. It can be done but you need to add it on and chex those terms.

That is the point though. You may not mention it, fair enough.

But if an insurer asks you have to answer honestly. Or you potentially invalidate any policy.

Insurance companies share information.

Hmmmm yeah. .. do be a little careful as insures openly share information. The claims underwriting exchange is used for all claims information. .. not sure if it holds rejected cover but probably one to be careful about.

I don't think that makes a lot of difference in the wacky world of insurance - I participate in a boating forum and somebody on there has just had their boat insurance renewal declined because - guess what?

It's moored in an area considered a flood risk!!

You couldn't make it up.

I can direct you to many photos of boats that suffered damage from flooding. Whilst boats float they can be washed away. It's not as simple as you seem to think it is.

The compound forces you to take insurance to cover themselves, if it's stolen or damaged whilst on the site you claim off your own insurance. and damage it in the process, guess what, you claim off your insurance.

I'll take my chances.

If they are a commercial organisation, charging fees, they will need liability insurance to cover property belonging to others.

as they can be sued for any loss resulting from their actions. Unfair terms & conditions legislation would apply if their contract sought to exclude them from liability in such cases

I can direct you to many photos of boats that suffered damage from flooding. Whilst boats float they can be washed away. It's not as simple as you seem to think it is.

So could I you. I boat, I know the risks.

Other boaters found it a little curious that a boat which floats could not be insured against a risk against flooding.

Edited by The Dog House

Martin. ..........

If they are a commercial organisation, charging fees, they will need liability insurance to cover property belonging to others.

as they can be sued for any loss resulting from their actions. Unfair terms & conditions legislation would apply if their contract sought to exclude them from liability in such cases

Maybe I'm wrong then, maybe the insurance they insist on is to protect the other vans stored there in case you do something stupid. The terms still state that they aren't liable if they move your van and damage it within the compound.

So could I you. I boat, I know the risks.

Other boaters found it a little curious that a boat which floats could not be insured against a risk against flooding.

Just because a boat floats doesn't mean it's invulnerable.

Think Thames floods 2012. ........ think Lloyds. ......

A storage site owner or a dealer who takes in caravans for repair is not legally obliged to take out insurance for each and every caravan they take into their facility, hence the signs which often state at owners' risk.

If a caravan is damaged whilst in the storage site or in a dealer's workshop the caravan owner would normally make a claim on their caravan insurance and the insurers may attempt to mitigate their loss by making a claim against the dealer or site owner where the damage occurred. However, if the dealer or site owner was not negligent whilst the caravan was in their care the insured's insurance company would take the hit. If the owner has not insured their caravan against such risks they would have to sue the site owner or dealer if they had a strong case of negligence. That would cost the owner far more than one year's insurance premium, without any guarantee of success.

If an uninsured caravan was at a storage site when the caravan was damaged or it caused damage to another caravan and a condition of storage was that the caravan owner insured the caravan, the owner would not be able to claim against the site owner as they are in breach of contract. The site owner could sue the caravan owner for damages.

Where a storage site or dealer who has taken all reasonable precautions to prevent theft of caravans from their site is "ram raided" by tractor to gain entry to allow the thieves to take away as many caravans as they can tow. the site owner is unlikely to be found negligent and the burden of claims would fall on the insurers.

A friend of mine runs a vehicle repair garage in a country village. Some years ago a fire totally destroyed his workshop and destroyed a number of high value customers' cars which were in the garage for repair. The fire, which was deemed to be accidental, started in an adjoining small office which belonged my friend's landlord and soon destroyed the whole of the building and contents. My friend claimed on his insurance for his losses. Only half of the vehicles were insured by their owners as the rest were off the road for repair. None of the owners affected could claim against my friend.

Edited by DeeTee