Be Vigilant If Returning Through Calais - Update

The migrant problem in and around Calais appears to be getting worse, with thousands of mostly young men trying to get to Britain. There are reports of people being offered large amounts of money, or threatened with violence by desperate migrants who will try almost anything. One motorhomer apparently found someone hiding under the cover on his bike rack, a lorry driver was threatened at knife point, and others have found people attempting to get into their vehicles when stopped at petrol stations.

The Mayor of Calais is threatening a blockade of the port so be aware on two counts:

1. Take every possible precaution before arriving at the port that no one has managed to get into your car/caravan/motorhome.

2. Leave extra time for security checks and watch the news for updates to the situation to make sure no blockade has taken place.

The UK did not sign up to some EU agreement or other,

so we end up with these migrants, even when caught

and returned they try again and again.

Some use the human rights "get out of jail free card"

when will the government get this sorted so drivers are not

put at risk by these desperate people.

They are in France illegally, they should boot them out! We don't want or need them. No room at the inn! :angry:

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

We saw a group of them walking towards Calais on the motorway hard shoulder near Dunkirk last Friday whilst returning home.

We thought at the time that security would be tighter at the check in and customs but for us at Dunkirk it was free and easy (unlike some previous times) with only a cursory check.

Maybe the migrants don't bother with Dunkirk as it is too small, miles from anywhere and very open country?

What's funny is they want to blockade Calais because 'we' have made it easy for them to enter France. .. hang on. .. we have no control over the borders France has with Spain, Italy, Switzerland, Belgium, Germany and Luxembourg. .. are they blockading those borders too?

2013 Sprite Major 4FB Excellence (Dealer Special)
2005 Nissan Pathfinder T-Spec

What's funny is they want to blockade Calais because 'we' have made it easy for them to enter France. .. hang on. .. we have no control over the borders France has with Spain, Italy, Switzerland, Belgium, Germany and Luxembourg. .. are they blockading those borders too?

No because of some agreement we did not sign up to!

Arrived back in Dieppe Monday afternoon for the 6. 00pm crossing to Newhaven. After clearing both kiosks we were directed to the waiting lane. I got out of the car to stretch my legs and looking around noticed two young men standing on a barbed wired fence, their shear confidence in standing on this fence initially had me believing that they were carrying out maintenance works (white van parked nearby) any way it soon dawned that they were attempting to climb down to the secure ferry boarding waiting area. I walked back over to the passport kiosks and informed the officers, who thanked me and said that they would be informing the security. By the time I had walked back to the car the security guy arrived with a very large dog. The two young men got down off the fence their side and just simply strolled off!

SCHENGEN

As GB is an island outwith mainland EU it acts as if it is a boundary of the EU which is why the UK has cross border entry requirements which are rigidly enforced. Those countries that you mention cannot do much once those people are WITHIN THE EU. . Do you want to see check points within Europe again or enjoy travelling within the the EU without checks? I have just travelled through France, Belgium, Holland and into Gerrmany with being stopped and will return equally unchallenged.

There will be a vote soon EU or out :( . ..so will you vote. ..and how? Think carefully ;)

If I was in the situation of those you denigrate I am sure that I would do every thing to get myself and/or my family out of the cesspits of humanity that exist elsewhere,.

Whole can of worms there Beejay, but if it meant a stop to the illegal flow of immigrants and terrorists, then I'll gladly line up behind Nigel and his boys!

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her

Slightly OT, went out of the UK via Poole last week on Barfleur and the car and van were searched.

Obviously looking for midgets as they looked in every overhead locker. They also checked the bunks, wardrobe and washroom.

Used to it being looked at when coming back from Dunkirk, but never on the way out before.

2010/60 Honda CRV ES-T i-DTEC (Deep Sapphire Blue) and a 2009 S7 Bailey Provence.

Val,

I'm rather disappointed you posted this and gave an opportunity for the assorted xenophobes and racists lurking in the forum.

I have to say I have nothing but pity for these people who have risked their lives, been exploited by criminals and given up their homes and families for the slight chance of better lives.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

SCHENGEN

As GB is an island outwith mainland EU it acts as if it is a boundary of the EU which is why the UK has cross border entry requirements which are rigidly enforced. Those countries that you mention cannot do much once those people are WITHIN THE EU. . Do you want to see check points within Europe again or enjoy travelling within the the EU without checks? I have just travelled through France, Belgium, Holland and into Gerrmany with being stopped and will return equally unchallenged.

There will be a vote soon EU or out :( . ..so will you vote. ..and how? Think carefully ;)

If I was in the situation of those you denigrate I am sure that I would do every thing to get myself and/or my family out of the cesspits of humanity that exist elsewhere,.

All I am doing is saying it's not our fault. .. we have like you say border controls in place those that border non EU countries need to police their better and the various entry points the immigrants are using. I can remember European border controls and the queues to get into those countries. I far prefer it how it is. ..

2013 Sprite Major 4FB Excellence (Dealer Special)
2005 Nissan Pathfinder T-Spec

What is the point of road border controls when they can just walk across fields and no-one will notice?

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

Val,

I'm rather disappointed you posted this and gave an opportunity for the assorted xenophobes and racists lurking in the forum.

I have to say I have nothing but pity for these people who have risked their lives, been exploited by criminals and given up their homes and families for the slight chance of better lives.

I think we all feel pity for them but what's the answer? What do we do, let them all in?, send them back?

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG

Yes I feel sorry for them, but if you're castigating me for being a Zenophobe well I own up, and a NIMBY

Yes I feel sorry for them, but if you're castigating me for being a Zenophobe well I own up, and a NIMBY

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her

Val,

Call me a closet racist or xenophobe if you like but the majority of these intended immigrants don't just want a better life but the best they can get. I too feel sorry for the majority of them but international law is quite clear. They are just as safe in Italy or which ever other country they have used to gain illegal entry to the EU as they are in the UK. Why make such a supreme effort to get from one safe EU member state to another if it's not to take advantage of the different benefit arrangements? Why does the problem appear to be predominantly young males? Surely they are just as capable of working in any other EU member state as they are in the UK.

We were over in Calais a couple of weeks ago and two of them just calmly walked in front of us and climbed over the fence into the port area - made easier by the convenient steps built all along the fencing ( horizontal strengthening ribbing which formed perfect toeholds).

It took them 30 seconds to get over. As it happens a security patrol picked them up about two minutes later and gave my Wife a b*llocking for taking a photo of them doing it. It was blatant and there's no way the fencing is adequate to keep them out.

Walking around Calais town centre and the parks there were loads of them about but the French seem incapable or unwilling to do much about it - perhaps it's to their advantage when a few more get across the channel.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Val,

I am sure Val can speak for herself but she was in fact only reporting on a

situation that could affect members of this forum that are travelling through

and around Calais.

At no point did she mention the rights and wrongs of the situation and until

you posted your comment I, and I am sure others on here, were unaware we had

xenophobes and racists lurking on the forum and just read it the way it was intended,

that was as an informative comment which may be of help to others.

Edited by DTH

Dave & Annette .

07 Kia Sorento 2. 5 CRDi XE --- 2012 Lunar Clubman CK

According to bbc radio 2 a woman coming over to uk in her fiat panda with 2 dogs in the back discovered an immigrant in the back of her panda when she got to the uk, must have been a Pygmy!

Strange how folk that think we should have more secure borders to protect against child trafficking and human slavery as well as deterring rapists and hardened criminals from entering the uk might be considered racist, funny old world

Val,

What's all this about then? Why do the politically correct automatically start calling people names like xenophobe, racist, homophobe, nimby, sexist etc as soon as someone questions or mentions something that might be slightly controversial - a bit like that Nice Mr Brown who called the lady names when she mentioned immigration.

It's this PC attitude that takes over from common sense and make people afraid to question what's going on and to sweep stuff under the carpet for fear of being labelled or castigated - look at Rotherham at the moment.

I think that the OP was just trying to impart some information and did not deserve to be criticised. Of course we all feel some sympathy for some (not all) of these immigrants, but they should be properly dealt with by the authorities in the country that they arrive in.

There doesn't seem to be the same problem at the borders between the other European countries. You'd think they would be flocking to Holland, Germany or even wanting to stay in France. Why do you think that is?

Is it because we are viewed as soft touch and the immigrant don't want to stay in mainland Europe or are they encouraged to move towards the channel in the hope that they'll escape and we'll end up with them.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

What's all this about then? Why do the politically correct automatically start calling people names like xenophobe, racist, homophobe, nimby, sexist etc as soon as someone questions or mentions something that might be slightly controversial - a bit like that Nice Mr Brown who called the lady names when she mentioned immigration.

It's this PC attitude that takes over from common sense and make people afraid to question what's going on and to sweep stuff under the carpet for fear of being labelled or castigated - look at Rotherham at the moment.

I think that the OP was just trying to impart some information and did not deserve to be criticised. Of course we all feel some sympathy for some (not all) of these immigrants, but they should be properly dealt with by the authorities in the country that they arrive in.

There doesn't seem to be the same problem at the borders between the other European countries. You'd think they would be flocking to Holland, Germany or even wanting to stay in France. Why do you think that is?

Is it because we are viewed as soft touch and the immigrant don't want to stay in mainland Europe or are they encouraged to move towards the channel in the hope that they'll escape and we'll end up with them.

:goodpost: I look at all the people suffering, because of the pressure on the UK's limited resources,

and there are all these migrants (that I do feel sorry for) who are illiterate and unemployable.

I had to look up xenophobe (PC people always know the big words?)

They do indeed flock to other countries. The reason people are trying to get to the UK is usually because they have family here or can speak English rather than any other language. If you look here http://data. worldbank. org/indicator/SM. POP. REFG you will see where people try to seek asylum; and attempts to enter the UK (scroll down) have diminished dramatically.

We saw them all round the Carrefour camper van park earlier this year, and they were perfectly polite to us. It's nothing to do with 'benefits' - it's to do with family or perceived opportunity.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Thanks BFM. This shows the facts, amongst which France and particularly Germany have many more than the UK.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion