Freelander Replacement Revealed - Discovery Sport

stevew1

I have been following this car for a few months but am a little disappointed with the forecast prices, if there are no discounts it will take it out of my price range.

http://www. autocar. co. uk/car-news

Subaru Outback 2. 0 DSE 2015, Coachman Pastiche 460/2, Lunar Ultima Extra 540,

, Pwrtouch mover, Quest Rolli awning.

I have been following this car for a few months but am a little disappointed with the forecast prices, if there are no discounts it will take it out of my price range.

http://www. autocar. co. uk/car-news

One of my friends worked on this car and it's a massive improvement from the Freelander and at launch it won't have the final entry level options. .. Once they've brought out their own ED4 diesel and mated it to the 2WD version it should be available from below £30k, combine this with a dealer discount and it might be back into your price range. .?

It's still more expensive than the Freelander, but is more like a smaller, more affordable Discovery than direct Freelander replacement. I think it looks great and hope to see plenty on the roads (and as I'm 20 mins from Gaydon I expect I will).

So who's going to take one for a test drive?

Tim
Developer | Caravan Talk

I think the prices are comparable with most other 4x4 of a similar type so it will probably do well. It gives more space than the evoque but not as stylish in my opinion. I think the extra room in the boot area is what was needed as the Freelander has always seemed a bit tight in that area. Other than that I can't afford a new 1 but maybe a couple of years down the line they may be worth a look at.

One of my friends worked on this car and it's a massive improvement from the Freelander and at launch it won't have the final entry level options. .. Once they've brought out their own ED4 diesel and mated it to the 2WD version it should be available from below £30k, combine this with a dealer discount and it might be back into your price range. .?

It's still more expensive than the Freelander, but is more like a smaller, more affordable Discovery than direct Freelander replacement. I think it looks great and hope to see plenty on the roads (and as I'm 20 mins from Gaydon I expect I will).

So who's going to take one for a test drive?

It does certainly look good & with the new Ingenium engines which are due out next week in the Jaguar XE it may be the car to have. As you say, with 2 wheel drive & the new engine it may fall into my, stretched, price range . I must admit that having owned a 4 wheel drive for nearly 6 years & having reaped it's benefits about twice a 2 wheel drive Discovery Sport is not such a bad idea.

Subaru Outback 2. 0 DSE 2015, Coachman Pastiche 460/2, Lunar Ultima Extra 540,

, Pwrtouch mover, Quest Rolli awning.

It does certainly look good & with the new Ingenium engines which are due out next week in the Jaguar XE it may be the car to have. As you say, with 2 wheel drive & the new engine it may fall into my, stretched, price range . I must admit that having owned a 4 wheel drive for nearly 6 years & having reaped it's benefits about twice a 2 wheel drive Discovery Sport is not such a bad idea.

Yes, those engines have been very hyped up, so if they can come close to meeting the previews they'll be something special. I can't wait for the release of the new XE, hoping Jaguar will finally have a car to hold it's head up high against the 3-series and C-Class.

These new aluminium cars are looking very efficient and well-rounded, but I hope that in the future they don't limit the choice of towcars too much, or that the caravan manufacturers find a way to follow suit with equally impressive weight savings without compromising integrity.

Tim
Developer | Caravan Talk

I think the 9 speed ZF would be a no brainer, even for me who has never owned an auto.

Not that impressed with fitting the old carry over engine though, I think waiting a couple of years would be sensible. A run out Freelander would give a lot more for the money, and with the same engine.

I like the use of alli for some panels and some suspension parts, and a large 8" screen on some models.

Don't really see the point of pulling the range down to accommodate a 2wd version with less power. it just losses residuals for the more upmarket versions?

The Indian owners are certainly showing they know how to market cars that buyers want to buy.

Edited by xtrailman

Looks nice, our local paper had a picture,they said it starts around £32K. Bit steep but they will sell I'm sure.

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

Looks good, but too light

If I'd have known I was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more last night

Ok I am biased I work in land rover Halewood were these are made . hopefully they will do well . they are nice motors & think it may steal some évoque custom . what confuses me is land rover are giving pictures to the press etc yet we still ship all the cars out for testing full of camouflage at the moment . DOH !!!!

2012 Static Willerby Severn, Sitting in Hidden Valley Welshpool . B)

Cars are coming down in weight to meet the ever-tougher EU emissions regulations - the new Range Rover and Range Rover Sport lost a huge amount of weight compared to their predecessors, they're not much over 2000 kg and the next Discovery will be similar weight. The Discovery Sport is 1800 kg but that class of car will only go down in weight - the Jaguar CUV will be a lot less thanks to it's aluminium platform.

If 1800kg is too light for you - you won't have very much choice in 5 years time !

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

The Smax is heavier. ...

VW Touareg 3. 0L V6 262 R Line with a Unicorn IV Segovia trying to keep up!

I bought one of the last of the old Sports because the new model would cost me £20k more for the same spec :o

This trend started when the Disco 3 came out and I moved from Disco 2's to Freelander 2's because of the price increase - I love my LR's but over the last 14 years I've watched the prices and sales rocket - good luck to them but at some point I want to retire and will be lucky to afford any of them :lol:

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o

Nice Video B)

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

I prefer the look of the old box version.

Looks like half way between the original and the flat top evogue

Isn't the heading wrong -

New Freelander Revealed

The Freelander 2 production will stop. JLR - Land Rover, have revealed the first of its new Discovery model range the Discovery Sport. The Freelander is no more! Which is a shame the freelander 2 was a good car, it also had the "Land Rover" name on the bonnet, something that once the Freelander and Defender production stops no model will have.

New Freelander Revealed - should read Freelander Replacement Revealed

Land Rover has had a confusing mix of pseudo brands for decades - time to let that name go and build three new brands based on their heritage - Defender, Discovery and Range Rover - add to that Jaguar and eventually Rover and JLR starts to look like a proper automoble group.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Isn't the heading wrong -

New Freelander Revealed

The Freelander 2 production will stop. JLR - Land Rover, have revealed the first of its new Discovery model range the Discovery Sport. The Freelander is no more! Which is a shame the freelander 2 was a good car, it also had the "Land Rover" name on the bonnet, something that once the Freelander and Defender production stops no model will have.

New Freelander Revealed - should read Freelander Replacement Revealed

Land Rover has had a confusing mix of pseudo brands for decades - time to let that name go and build three new brands based on their heritage - Defender, Discovery and Range Rover - add to that Jaguar and eventually Rover and JLR starts to look like a proper automoble group.

Agreed, topic title updated :)

I prefer the look of the old box version.

Looks like half way between the original and the flat top evogue

Nah, new version is much nicer, though agree it's reminiscent of the RR Evoque.

Not sure why they didn't call this one the Land Rover Evoque, or Land Rover Discovery Evoque, as the "Sport" implies it's quicker and more sporting, whereas the full Discovery is a lot quicker. .. Would have created a nice parallel map for them to follow between the three sub-brands; Defender, Discovery, Range Rover.

Sport suffix means quicker and more road-focused

Evoque suffix means more stylish(?!), compact and affordable

Overfinch suffix means you have too much money, so please send some this way

Tim
Developer | Caravan Talk

LR seem to be making it up as they go along - Evoque was supposed to be LR but launched as RR - this looks like the Grand Evoque they teased but is now badged Discovery which replaces LR and the Freelander disappears :rolleyes:

http://www. topspeed. com/cars/land_rover/2014-land-rover-grand-evoque-ar111589. html

In America Freelander was LR2, Discovery was LR3 then LR4 but I guess the use of Discovery 3 & Discovery 4 names by owners caught on. RR were badged LR then RR and now LR again :unsure:

All I know is the brand is aiming squarely for the luxury market now and pricing will result in die hard Landy Lovers only buying older models as they wont be able to afford the newer ones - I paid around £20K each for my 07 & 09 FL2 GS New and they now start at £33K - very nice but ouch :blink:

Edited by Muddywheels