Buying Back An Insurance Write-Off?

fatgit

Our caravan is probably going to be written off after a blowout yesterday followed by a wheel detachment after the spare was fitted by a recovery service.

The assessor hasn't looked at it yet, but due to its age and value he seems set on writing it off even though it looks like only minor damage.

The wheel hub neeeds replacing, as does the plastic/fiberglass trim around the wheel arch and there's a small dent in the side of the van where the wheel scraped as it headed off across the M6. As far as I know, nothing else is damaged but we won't know for sure until the assessors report.

As the caravan is 21 years old it already has a few dents, and the other repairs would cost less than £100 for me to get fixed, then get it checked over.

What do people think about buying it back or should I just take the settlement and look for another caravan? (Assuming they don't repair it, which I'd prefer).

I know it would make the caravan harder to sell later as CRiS would show it had been written off but we just bought an awning for it (only a used one but cost us £150 and weer can't afford another), put in new carpets and some other cosmetic fixes.

Thanks.

fatgit, on 03 Sept 2014 - 09:15 AM, said:fatgit, on 03 Sept 2014 - 09:15 AM, said:

Our caravan is probably going to be written off after a blowout yesterday followed by a wheel detachment after the spare was fitted by a recovery service.

The assessor hasn't looked at it yet, but due to its age and value he seems set on writing it off even though it looks like only minor damage.

The wheel hub neeeds replacing, as does the plastic/fiberglass trim around the wheel arch and there's a small dent in the side of the van where the wheel scraped as it headed off across the M6. As far as I know, nothing else is damaged but we won't know for sure until the assessors report.

As the caravan is 21 years old it already has a few dents, and the other repairs would cost less than £100 for me to get fixed, then get it checked over.

What do people think about buying it back or should I just take the settlement and look for another caravan? (Assuming they don't repair it, which I'd prefer).

I know it would make the caravan harder to sell later as CRiS would show it had been written off but we just bought an awning for it (only a used one but cost us £150 and weer can't afford another), put in new carpets and some other cosmetic fixes.

Thanks.

I suppose a lot depends on how much they offer you in settlement and whether you could get another van in the same condition as yours for the money. Plus if the assessor finds anything else substantial of course.

As to the awning - you always have the option of getting it altered providing the replacement van isn't too far away in terms of size of course.

I must admit given what you have said about the damage so far, I would be inclined to explore buying it back and repairing it.

Edited by The Dog House

Martin. ..........

A friend of mine had a blow out and this caused a hole in the floor as well as the wheel cover damage. I know he did not go through the insurance, but got it repaired by a local mobile workshop.

The hub will cost you around £180 to buy if its an Alko (bought one last year).

I would keep photo's of the damage and the repair receipts, if you need to sell it on and show how minor the damage was.

Thanks.

I did this, you can request a payment in lieu of repairs. My van was written off, I was of erred the market value of £3000 or £1200 in lieu of repairs. I took the £1200, went down the road and part exchanged the van getting £2700 in part exchange against a newer van that was already at a good price! The problem with my old van were dents in the side which were pointed out to the dealer when he assessed it for valuation etc.

One other issue to consider is that if you keep it you *may* have an issue getting it insured again! I was told they wouldn't cover my van if I repaired it (safeguard insurance) it was listed on CRiS as a write off.

Many years ago my Sprite Musketeer was shunted by a builder's lorry as we drove through Carlisle on our way to Scotland. The panel below the rear window was badly pierced and the bunk across the rear of the van was pushed forward. A local caravan dealer covered the damage with plastic and we continued our holiday. On our return the insurance assessor wrote off the van but I bought it back and repaired the damage. We kept the van for a further eight years.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

It doesn't necessarily have to be written off. Ask for money in lieu of the repair and do it yourself. Insurers like this option as they basically give you a lump of money to go away.

Cheers for the suggestions. I'll see what the assessor says and what the insurance company say.

The dealer I purchased the caravan from have said that they'd do the repairs for cost, which I think is decent of them, and if the damage is only as described it wouldn't come to much more than a couple of hundred, plus two new tyres and one rim, so the money in lieu of repairs could be a good option as we would rather not have to go looking for another caravan, as we'd then have to replace the awning etc all over again!