I Did It!

Grev

Hi all,

Today we picked up the new caravan! 23 feet of gleaming sprite loveliness. After a rushed run through of the caravan and how to work everything by the dealer followed by a bunch of flowers we were sent on our way.

The trip back was brilliant felt a little twitchy at times and a little bouncy but on looking at the way the van was sitting when hooked up I think it may have been a little backside heavy so looking forward to loading up and having another go. Was terrified about the drive back as I'm sure I mentioned previously however: the car pulled well and was a lot better than I was expecting returning 31 mpg and happily sitting at 60 on the motorway. My first encounter with an overtaking lorry was a bit of a squeaky bum moment but by the end of our first 120 mile trip I was able to take on my first overtaking manoeuvre.

Upon reaching our selected storage site we were welcomed by the owner who told me that if I needed help placing the van on the pitch, having never reversed a van before, he said to find him and he would do it for me. With that I got in the car and promptly reversed it onto the pitchon my first attempt, there was initially some confusion over left or right but I soon overcame this and placed the van exactly where I wanted it (I bet I won't be able to do that again!!) I was well chuffed with this. With van parked and legs down we are now looking forward to trying it out on the next available weekend we have.

I want to thank all of you that have given me advice and support over the last couple of weeks I will admit, you were all right. ..

Thanks guys we are now looking forward to many years of happy caravanning.

post-69395-0-43816600-1409691816_thumb.jpgpost-69395-0-35668000-1409691827_thumb.jpg

We only went in to have a look!!!

Very happy for you, hope you have many more years caravanning. It's a lovely feeling picking up your new van, and a nervous one too. ... Glad you and your new purchase made it home safely, happy vanning 😁

Citroen ds4 2. 0 hdi 163bhp Lunar Venus 500 2012.

Congratulations on your new caravan, get to enjoy it as much as you can.

This isn't meant to dampen your spirits, but yet again, a rushed run through of the caravan and how to work everything and sent on your way.

When are dealers actually going to take the time to do a proper handover especially for those who are buying for the first time. It's as if right, we've had your money now get lost.

Well done, it's easy isn't it!

With regards to the bouncy feel did you increase the tyre pressures to their max pressure plus the extra 3 psi in the rears? I find it makes a huge difference as to how the Smax behaves when towing.

31 mpg is outstanding, we hardly see that solo with ours, although Mrs G drives it unles we are towing and she has a lead foot 😉

Enjoy, we were where you were 5 years ago and have not looked back.

Mike

VW Touareg 3. 0L V6 262 R Line with a Unicorn IV Segovia trying to keep up!

Brilliant well done Grev, bet you can't wait to go off on your first trip. Watch out tho it's addictive, as soon as you get back from one trip your itching to get away again.

Nice caravan BTW.

Cheers

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG

Think about a Caravan Club manoeuvring course. Well worth it and the cost can be recouped somewhat by discount on your insurance.

I'd been caravanning for 16 years when I did one and still learnt a lot.

Volvo XC60 Momentum Pro D4 pulling an Elddis Crusader Mistral

The trip back was brilliant felt a little twitchy at times and a little bouncy but on looking at the way the van was sitting when hooked up I think it may have been a little backside heavy so looking forward to loading up and having another go.

Remember to check the nose weight is within specified limits - like you say, you don't want too much load at the back but be careful of placing too much on the towbar

This isn't meant to dampen your spirits, but yet again, a rushed run through of the caravan and how to work everything and sent on your way.

When are dealers actually going to take the time to do a proper handover especially for those who are buying for the first time. It's as if right, we've had your money now get lost.

Isn't that why we pay our extra delivery charge - £545 in this case is the 'recommended' sum - to cover the Pre Delivery Inspection (10 minutes in some cases!) and the handover (sounds like another 10 minutes) - real value for money ! !

Think about a Caravan Club manoeuvring course. Well worth it and the cost can be recouped somewhat by discount on your insurance.

I was caught out here as I did the Camping and Caravan Club training (at their HQ in Coventry) as it was more convenient at the time, but then the Caravan Club wouldn't recognise it when it came to set up the insurance - they only discount if you do their own course. With hindsight if I had realised, I would have had different training or different insurance !

Having made those three points - - - well done and welcome to the world of caravanning . . . . . . . .

Edit - corektion ov pore spelllin

Edited by DerbyClubman

Nice one. Hope your pick inspection & run through was long enough for you to get all the basics covered. Our last one was well over 2 hours & i was getting a bit yawny by the time he'd finished!!!

thats a good distance to get to know your van on. remember that at the moment its as empty as its ever going to be & when you do load it it up, it will feel better on the road with proper loading.

Above all - Enjoy it. :D:D

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................