New To Caravanning!

ric71

Hi all. After reluctantly accepting that I’d rather sleep in a comfy, warm, watertight caravan than under a few square feet of flapping canvas (which has been the case for the pat 10 years), I’ve decided to ditch the tent and bought a cheap caravan (the kids are underwhelmed – I think they prefer tenting)! It’s a ’92 Abbey Piper 14. 5 5-berth, although in reality it’s a 3. 5-berth at best. I’m really pleased with it, especially given it only cost me £730!! However, not surprisingly, there are a few issues…

When viewing the van I tapped, knocked and tugged at every surface I could find (including the back of cupboards, under beds, shower room etc) and everything is firm and dry (with no damp smell) other than 2 small areas where damp has crept in. Given the condition of the rest of the (1-owner) van as well as the price, I decided to go for it anyway. I’ll post a few questions re the damp in a separate post, but thought I’d say hi for starters! Until last week I’d never towed anything before so its been an interesting learning curve, although the caravan is only 750kg and the car has plenty of power. I even reversed round a corner at the weekend without killing / destroying anything, so I’m feeling pretty chuffed! Cheers

Welcome to the Forum

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I can only repeat F185s reply. You'll just love it! Stick with it and a whole new world will open up in front of you. I have been around caravans now for about 27yrs and I still bust a gut to get away in it. Welcome.