Air In Tyres

Grev

Good evening all,

Just an observation, I pumped up the car tyres today to their fully laden pressures and noticed how beautifully the car drove, how nicely it sat on the road and how smooth the ride became, the car was solo with only myself and Mrs P in the car.

My old car a 2000 Y reg Alhambra was the same pump up the tyres for being loaded and enjoy a much nicer ride, I may keep them pumped up slightly higher than normal in the future.

Has anyone else noticed this?

On a separate note we get to go and pick up the new van tomorrow and we are very excited (can't sleep excited)

This is our first van and it will be the first time I have towed so I am ever so slightly nervous but can't wait to put all that theory into practice.

A huge thanks to you all so far who have been very helpful and supportive in my thirst for knowledge and reassurance hopefully you will all be sitting beside me tomorrow as I pilot it back from the midlands.

Thanks again

We only went in to have a look!!!

You'll be fine Grev. Take your time and all will be great.

Ref the tyres yes I tend to leave mine up a bit higher. Economy is slightly better too!

I always find that having air in the tyres makes the ride that much better!! :D

Seriously though, I keep mine at their top level 36psi in the voyager & 80psi in the motorhome. When driving I can tell if one is low on pressure & normally which one it is. Yes I do have an anorak!!

Sure you'll be fine on your tow tomorrow. As Milkymarsh said - take it easy & take your time. Above all enjoy it. If your anything like me you'll enjoy the towing as much as getting there!!

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

The correct tyre pressures give the best tyre performance.

However you can put the pressures up for carrying heavy

loads and towing. The penalty is extra wear, as you never

get owt for nowt.

I remember during the petrol shortages and when the first

motorways came on tap there was a recommendation that

tyre pressures were raised by a couple of pounds.

One for economy and the other to stop the tyres overheating

by reducing sidewall flexing.

I find the fully loaded pressures gives a much harder ride solo, but just a couple of extra psi sounds like a good idea. My car seems to handle speed humps much more smoothly with a bit extra in the tyres, It's also a little more susepctable to grounding at the front end with the tyres at or a fraction below their specified unlaiden presures.

. ......When driving I can tell if one is low on pressure & normally which one it is. ......

Now come on Woodie, your talkin' to us here. ;)

Stay safe ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Now come on Woodie, your talkin' to us here. ;)

Sadly Griff I normally can!! It's knowing your car I suppose. I've owned the voyager since 2008 & done 60k + in it, so you get a feel for which corner doesn't feel quite right.

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Only kiddin' Woodie :)

Can't beat a good Anorak, got the set! :P

Stay safe ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Don`t be alarmed if the journey home is a little uncomfortable.

Many caravans can be a bit twitchy when they are unladen (when I picked our last new one up I wondered if I`d made an expensive mistake),, but absolutely fine when loaded up.

Make sure that you check the noseweight before you tow it unladen. Some vans eg Bailey Olympus 534 are really nose heavy unladen and need ballast behind the axle to counter balance the van.

On the other hand,my Adria PX needs ballast near the front to give correct noseweight. A good heavy awning is good as it will lay flat and be stable. Some suggest an Aquaroll filled to a suitable degree but I would not recommend it as it would not be so stableand would cause major problems with stability and damage if/when it rolled around.

Good luck!

Don`t be alarmed if the journey home is a little uncomfortable.

Many caravans can be a bit twitchy when they are unladen (when I picked our last new one up I wondered if I`d made an expensive mistake),, but absolutely fine when loaded up.

:goodpost: Mine always rides better packed for a holiday (not excessively!). :) John.

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?