Disconnecting Gas Whilst Traveling

Yorkshireman

So, my question is, when travelling, do you just turn off your cylinder at its valve and isolator near the bulkhead reg or actually remove the hose from the cylinder?

So, my question is, when travelling, do you just turn off your cylinder at its valve and isolator near the bulkhead reg or actually remove the hose from the cylinder?

I turn off appliances, stop valve inside van, main stop valve at regulator and screw down valve on bottle. I leave hose connected.

Tom

Just turn off at the bottle . . it ain't going anywhere then.

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

I turn off the valve on the bottle (like F185 - if I remember!) nothing else.

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

I take the regulator off when travelling and when the van is parked up not in use, I had a faulty regulator once and lost all the gas in a nearly full bottle!

I was going to post. ... " I leave my gas on, how's the wife going to make a brew on the motorway at 60MPH with the gas off"...but thought someone on here may think I was serious. :)

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG

It is my understanding that the bulkhead regulator does not have a stop valve. What appears to be a stop valve is actually a test point to allow a gas technician to carry out a pressure/ leakage test.

I simply turn off the gas supply by closing the gas bottle valve.

I turn off appliances, stop valve inside van, main stop valve at regulator and screw down valve on bottle. I leave hose connected.

Tom

Wow. ...........in the old days we used to travel with the gas on till we got to the ferry!...these days simply turn off at tap.

]

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I just shut off at the cylinder valve

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

I just shut off at the cylinder valve

Me too. If that's closed then there's no point shutting anything else off.

:goodpost:

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

+1, at least when you get to site you do not have the task of bleeding the system through.

When you go on the tunnel all they are interested in is the bottle is off, they do not check anything else.

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

1288275170_2019VIP.jpg.775f2d8ce7b26db242e04a2e77903cd0.jpg

I was going to post. ... " I leave my gas on, how's the wife going to make a brew on the motorway at 60MPH with the gas off"...but thought someone on here may think I was serious. :)

You slow down while she's brewing up then? Very considerate.

How do your wastemaster and aquaroll cope with those speeds?

Same as most others, we just switch off at the regulator (though have forgotten in the past).

I thought there were many types of bottles, connectors and regulators these days so compared with mine most of you seem to say turn off the bottle valve, giving me the impression your all on the old type bottles, when I thought most here were on light weight bottles.

Regards, David
Peugeot 308 GT Premium, 1.5 diesel 2021

I thought there were many types of bottles, connectors and regulators these days so compared with mine most of you seem to say turn off the bottle valve, giving me the impression your all on the old type bottles, when I thought most here were on light weight bottles.

Most modern caravans are fitted with bulkhead regulators. There is normally a stop valve valve on the bottles. A pigtail connector links the bottle and the regulator. One end of the pigtail is permanently connected to the regulator. The other end of the pigtail connection is connected to the bottle after the bottle's stop valve. The lightweight bottle such as the Calorlite has the same connection fitting as other propane bottles. Bottle top connectors and regulators may sometimes require a different shut off procedure.

Edited by DeeTee

Leave everything connected here.

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Or fit a Truma Secumotion and heat the caravan whilst travelling http://www. truma. com/int/en/gas-supply/duocontrol-cs. php

Edited by Pebble

2019 Adria Adora Thames

The auto switch over is good, but fail to see need for for the crash bit . . if you close the cylinder(s) valve(s) it serves no purpose . . if you don't, damaging the pigtails will still release gas . . advertising takes precedence over logic

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

Turning off at the bottle and disconnecting the pipe was recommend so the oil would drain from the pipe when bulkhead regulators first started causing problems.

I dont have a bulkhead regulator so I just turn off at the bottle

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

How does she get the brew from the van to you in the car when she has done it ? lol. ....

I turn off bottle valve but leave hose connected also. .

Edited by Crown 60

How does she get the brew from the van to you in the car when she has done it ? lol. ....

I turn off bottle valve but leave hose connected also. .

We stop on the hard shoulder and she gets out and hands it to me. ;)

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG

We stop on the hard shoulder and she gets out and hands it to me. ;)

Had visions of her climbing out of van door along draw bar and into car like something out of movies lol :lol:

No, she opens the front window and climbs through the rear hatch on the car, silly.

;)

Edited by TonyJover