Winter Carvanning Abroad.

I am eager to get away from our bleak winters now that I am retired.

Does anyone travel abroad with their caravan in winter to seek warmer climates?

The old sapper.

Loads of our members do and I've been doing it for twenty years. Out at beginning of November and back at the beginning of March. Favourite spots are Costa Blanca, Costa del Sol and Portugal. Some travel from Calais to the southern coasts which is around 1200 miles whilst others go from Portsmouth/Plymouth to Santander/Bilbao which just about halves the mileage. Where are you thinking of going?

Edited by Jaydug

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

I am happy to go anywhere that's warm.

I've never been to Portugal. Can you recommend a site for me to consider please?

The old sapper.

I am happy to go anywhere that's warm.

I've never been to Portugal. Can you recommend a site for me to consider please?

camping Turiscampo near Lagos, excellent showers and toilets, very efficent friendly staff, good onsite shop, cracking restaurant and bar and close to some really good beaches

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2020 Kia Sportage GT line S

Campismo Ria De Formosa, just outside of Tavira. Easy journey down from Bilbao/Santander, motorway (or very very good roads)all the way, about 17km from the border of Spain, so best of both worlds. Excellent site, great showers, loo's, restaurant and helpful staff.

Got to be done but just check all your insurances car and home to check you have the long period of cover while away .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

We too are thinking of escaping this coming winter and have been discussing the house.

Assuming you have no friends or family close enough to look after the house, what do you reccomend as regards heating, electric and water? If you drain the heating and pipes and turn the juice off does the house survive the cold? Or do you need to give it some heat at regular intervals?

I would like to hear the views of the seasoned experts.

From experience in the property world I wouldn't recommend having no heating at all during the winter, I've seen perfectly good houses that were repossessed turn into mould riddled, paint peeling squats after 8 weeks with no heating on. Depends on your style and build of house, ventilation, windows etc but better to keep the internal temp ticking over rather than let it go cold.

Check your insurance as some policies exclude leaving the house for periods in excess of 30 days, if there really is no-one who could inspect it for you in terms of family/freinds you could consider using a letting agent/holiday changeover company/cleaning contractor to carry out a monthly inspection for insurance purposes.

camping Turiscampo near Lagos, excellent showers and toilets, very efficent friendly staff, good onsite shop, cracking restaurant and bar and close to some really good beaches

I have been to Turiscampo and would agree it is a good site but if you have never been to Portugal before it is a superb country to spend the winter touring there are hundreds of good sites and thousands of places and things to see and do. We have spent the last two winters touring there never needed to book anywhere in advance and loved every minute.

Wether you decide to stay in one place or tour round Portugal is a fabulous place to spend the winter.

Steve

Steve (BroGoat)

travel blog - www. adventure-before-dementia. co. uk

If you drain the heating and pipes and turn the juice off does the house survive the cold? Or do you need to give it some heat at regular intervals?

I would like to hear the views of the seasoned experts.

I wouldn't recommend draining the heating over the winter. Your drain cock may not be at the lowest point of the system so some water may be left behind to freeze. . I'm away from early November till early March so I turn my heating off on the programmer but I also have a frost stat situated near the boiler so that when the kitchen's temperature falls to around 12C, it switches on the boiler long enough to circulate some warm water to the under-floor piping. The boiler doesn't usually stay on for more than 5 minutes.

Two days before I arrive home, a daughter comes in and switches on the programmer. She also visits from time to time to check security and mail.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Thanks for the advice re the house. I will take it all on board

And make sure your car's MoT doesn't expire during your stay.

Why as it's not as major problem? Nobody will ask for it whilst abroad. If you forget and it does expire whilst away book a test by phone at a garage near the port of re-entry into the UK for your return date.

Why as it's not as major problem? Nobody will ask for it whilst abroad. If you forget and it does expire whilst away book a test by phone at a garage near the port of re-entry into the UK for your return date.

I think you will find that if you do not have an up to date MOT your insurance company will invalidate your insurance.

Edited by not so big john

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

I am eager to get away from our bleak winters now that I am retired.

You will find literally thousands doing this. The British refer to them as the 'Snowbirds', the Dutch call it the 'Grey Plague'.

Basically there are two options. Pick a site and sit there happily for the winter, or wander around from site to site, seeing the sights. I suppose we are split 50/50 on this. Most of the 'stay-putters' have their favourite sites and it is all down to personal preference. I am not keen on many of these bigger sites, whilst some of those who are look down their nose at the sites I prefer! Each to his own. If you are uncertain, check out the winter rallies run by the Caravan Club or the Camping and Caravan Club. Popular sites are, as mentioned above, Turiscampo in Portugal, Racal near Benidorm, La Manga on the Mar Menor.

To be reasonably sure of warmth you need to be south of Valencia. The stretch of coast between Gibraltar and Cadiz, the Costa de la Luz, is comparatively uncrowded, warm, but can get very windy in January & February. The Algarve is nearly always pleasant, whilst the western coast of Portugal is back with the Atlantic rollers, but again, wonderful.

Inland Spain is relatively high and can get very cold. We were in Madrid in January and the night time temperature was -10. Inland from the Costa Del Sol is the Sierra Nevada, snowcapped mountains and ski resorts, but even there the daytime sun is warm.

We, like BroGoat, prefer to wander. Armed with an ACSI discount card and a Camping Cheque silver card we get good deals for overnight stops or stays of a few days. We have never booked a site yet. If you stay longer than a week you might get a better discount, and if you stay on one spot all winter there are some incredibly cheap deals.

Plan your travel to Spain carefully. You will need to decide between the drive through France or the long ferry to Spain. There are pros and cons for both. If you do drive through France remember that most French sites close for the winter. There are enough open to provide a bit of variety in your journey though.

Only if you have a major accident and the police will go through their procedures, they will certainly check then for all documentation.

I emailed DVLA about this last week and was given the following reply :

if a UK registered vehicle is outside of the UK and its MOT expires, then the only journey that the vehicle can make on entering the UK, is directly to a pre-booked MOT test.

I have in the past had the cars MOT'd before I went if there was any chance of not being back before the old one expired the DVLA reply email also stated :

You can take your vehicle for an MOT test at any time, and as many times as you wish, but if you have your vehicle tested more than one calendar month before the current expiry date (or date that the first test is due) then the expiry date cannot be extended and you will be issued with an MOT certificate which will run for 12 months from date of issue.

My vehicles first MOT falls due before we plan to return to UK next spring so I will get it done before we leave in November.

Steve

Steve (BroGoat)

If you take pills, as do I, make sure you've got enough until you get home

If you cannot get your doctor to prescribe enough, take your repeat prescription forms. Most Spanish and Portuguese chemists will provide you with what you need and the prices are not always unreasonable.

If you cannot get your doctor to prescribe enough, take your repeat prescription forms. Most Spanish and Portuguese chemists will provide you with what you need and the prices are not always unreasonable.

Hi,

Our doctor will give us one month holiday medication only and no more so we bought enough in Portugal last winter to last us through our trip to North Cape, Norway this summer.

We have been told that that if we keep the receipts we can claim 80% of the costs back from the NHS but as the cost of our drugs in Spain/Portugal is so low we have never bothered to try.

Steve

Steve (BroGoat)