Transient Warranties

Towtug

This isn't really my field, but I have been commissioned to look into it for a client, so I would be interested to hear your thoughts and experiences.

I have regularly read on here that "I could have got a better deal by using Dealer X, but chose to use Dealer Y as they are closer and I don't want to travel 200 miles for servicing and warranty repairs".

My question is why are dealers for the same caravan not taking on warranty work for caravans they did not sell?

Surely, the ultimate decision and payment of the warranty costs is born by the manufacturer so it should not matter who handles the warranty repair so long as they are authorised by the manufacturer. The repairer, providing they follow the requirements and authorisations of the manufacturer are not disadvantaged as they receive compensation for the work done.

Indeed in some industries the rates paid to dealers are varied depending on training, equipment etc, with the manufacturer effectively using the warranty system to profile their dealers and improve them.

IE The more you invest in our product the more we will pay you.

EU directive 1999/44/EC introduced some quite sweeping changes across the EU (especially for automotive products) although the UK legislation such as the Sale of Goods act etc largely surpassed this. For example a manufacturer can no longer insist that a vehicle is serviced at a dealer of theirs, they can only insist that the vehicle is serviced in accordance with their schedule.

The reason for the above was to consolidate Free trade across the EU and improve competition, it would appear to me that this practice actually prevents that and could therefore be considered contrary to the free trade agreement.

The frachise agreement for caravans are very different to cars and as such the manufacturer does not have as much sway.

The usual reason quoted for not taking on warranty work for caravans they have not supplied is the hourly rate paid, out of duty to their "customer" they bite the bullet and do the work but decline any others.

The warranty for the van is with the supplying dealer, NOT the manufacturer, therefore it is the supplying dealer who is responsible for any warranty repairs.

Every dealer will prioritise customers who buy from them in preference to those who buy elsewhere and just want the convenience of not having to travel long distances to get repairs done.

It is no use comparing the car industry with the caravan industry, they are nowhere near the same.

Servicing can be carried out by any approved manufactures workshops and any member of the Approved Workshop Scheme.

Most of the inbuilt appliances can be repaired under warranty by other workshops and AWS members as they are covered by their own manufacturers warranty, it is only really the fabric of the van which causes problems.

The frachise agreement for caravans are very different to cars and as such the manufacturer does not have as much sway.

The usual reason quoted for not taking on warranty work for caravans they have not supplied is the hourly rate paid, out of duty to their "customer" they bite the bullet and do the work but decline any others.

That's sort of my point. I am not at all sure that the agreements are allowed to be so much different from those used in other industries.

All consumer goods are covered in exactly the same way. (With the exception of Energy)

Do you think this is right or should they conform in the same way as car dealers?

I have just searched the forum using the words transient and warranty which resulted in 51 finds.

Recently there was a whole topic with input from trade members which was mainly due to the experience of one contributor.

The warranty for the van is with the supplying dealer, NOT the manufacturer, therefore it is the supplying dealer who is responsible for any warranty repairs.

Every dealer will prioritise customers who buy from them in preference to those who buy elsewhere and just want the convenience of not having to travel long distances to get repairs done.

It is no use comparing the car industry with the caravan industry, they are nowhere near the same.

Servicing can be carried out by any approved manufactures workshops and any member of the Approved Workshop Scheme.

Most of the inbuilt appliances can be repaired under warranty by other workshops and AWS members as they are covered by their own manufacturers warranty, it is only really the fabric of the van which causes problems.

That's not quite how it works, your contract of sale is with the supplying dealer, the dealers agreement is with the manufacturer. So for any concerns you are always advised to go back to the dealer, unless the manufacturer agrees other arrangements.(Such as with the internal components you mention)

The GUARANTEE given under the EU law is a guarantee of the various manufacturers the benefits of which are passed on to you by the dealer.

WARRANTIES are usually paid for either separately or within the cost to you and can be many and various as per their terms and conditions.

I made a mistake in the title and should have called it Transient Guarantees as they are different.

What I am talking about is the actual guarantee that has to be given by the manufacturer.

We bought our caravan from Newport Caravans, and after checking with them, they will take on warranty work whether you bought the caravan from them or not. If you check their website, it is stated on the warranty section.

Mike.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

I have just searched the forum using the words transient and warranty which resulted in 51 finds.

Recently there was a whole topic with input from trade members which was mainly due to the experience of one contributor.

Thanks for that DeeTee, I searched for something similar on my phone and it returned no results, just did it on the PC and it did so must have a Phone browser hiccup. I will have a read through when I get a minute

The problem here is when comparing the caravan to car industry is the number of issues were legal action is taken compared to the car industry and under the SOGA it must be returned to the Seller for repair work . If I was a dealer would I want to get mixed up in a legal dispute as a third party ? . .... I dont think so .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

If this is the case, why do we allow the dealers to refer to the manufacturer for authority to do any warranty work?

Is this just an excuse not to do the work until it is convenient to themselves?

Trevor.

If this is the case, why do we allow the dealers to refer to the manufacturer for authority to do any warranty work?

Is this just an excuse not to do the work until it is convenient to themselves?

They are trying to cover their backs by getting the manufacturer to agree to covering the cost before commencing the work, in reality they have to do the work regardless of whether the manufacturer reinburses them or not.

You have a manufacturers warranty under the terms of the purchase which the dealer will claim on on your behalf for any warranty work but legally your contract is with the supplying dealer who you handed over your money to under SOGA IF it became a legal battle .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Consumer rights, ie SoGA and EU Directives, obligations lie with the selling dealer - but warranty is over and above that and can have whatever conditions the provider chooses - it's no different in legal term for cars but the car industry chooses to allow warranty work at any franchised dealer, the caravan industry chooses not to - although one or two dealers will do warranty work on caravans not sold by them.

They are trying to cover their backs by getting the manufacturer to agree to covering the cost before commencing the work, in reality they have to do the work regardless of whether the manufacturer reinburses them or not.

If a dealer says "no, the manufacturer won't authorise it" most customers accept it - but under SoGA the dealer has to fix it at their own expense if the manufacturer won't pay.

Sometimes the manufacturer will back the dealer in private and reimburse them after any court case.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

You also have to remember the caravan warranty is made up of the individual component manufacturers warranties that the caravan manufacturer uses against his warranty .

Dave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

That's sort of my point. I am not at all sure that the agreements are allowed to be so much different from those used in other industries.

All consumer goods are covered in exactly the same way. (With the exception of Energy)

Do you think this is right or should they conform in the same way as car dealers?

PM sent

How long is the usual manufacturers Guarantee given for a Caravan?

They are all different and vary from component to component.

It quite an exercise to compare them. I suggest you visit each individual manufacturers web site.

poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

They are all different and vary from component to component.

It quite an exercise to compare them. I suggest you visit each individual manufacturers web site.

poolebob

I am talking about the manufacturer guarantee which covers everything as supplied. All consumer goods have to have the same minimum guarantee.

Are you saying that when you buy a caravan you expect to have a different length guarantee on the cooker to that of the chassis or the air con?

Your first sentence contradicts your last sentence.

Proposals cuurently under consideration to consolidate and improve consumer rights are for a 30 day full refund and a one attempt at repair

We bought our caravan from Newport Caravans, and after checking with them, they will take on warranty work whether you bought the caravan from them or not. If you check their website, it is stated on the warranty section.

Mike.

Yes, I'll second that. Bought our caravan from that excuse of a dealer in Carmarthen. I refused to take my van back to them anymore, because it used to come back with more faults than it went in with.

Newport caravans have kindly taken over the warranty on our caravan and were more than happy to do so. Elddis were also happy for this arrangement to go ahead.

I am talking about the manufacturer guarantee which covers everything as supplied. All consumer goods have to have the same minimum guarantee.

Are you saying that when you buy a caravan you expect to have a different length guarantee on the cooker to that of the chassis or the air con?

It's not what I expect it's what manufacturers offer. For example Bailey only warrant microwave for a year, most other components have 3 year warranty, body has six. Swift are probably different.

I don't wish to sound awkward but i don't want to spend time on doing something you are being paid to do. The answers are on manufacturers web sites.

Poolebob

It's not what I expect it's what manufacturers offer. For example Bailey only warrant microwave for a year, most other components have 3 year warranty, body has six. Swift are probably different.

I don't wish to sound awkward but i don't want to spend time on doing something you are being paid to do. The answers are on manufacturers web sites.

Poolebob

I am pleased you took the time to respond Poolebob. I am not really interested in what is on the manufacturers website I was asking what peoples impressions were of the warranty service they receive. From what I have seen so far it seems hugely inconsistent and possibly in need of a shakeup. The work I do does tend to be for the benefit of the consumer more than the manufacturer who generally ends up being the one paying for it.

So thanks for your input anyway.

I am pleased you took the time to respond Poolebob. I am not really interested in what is on the manufacturers website I was asking what peoples impressions were of the warranty service they receive. From what I have seen so far it seems hugely inconsistent and possibly in need of a shakeup. The work I do does tend to be for the benefit of the consumer more than the manufacturer who generally ends up being the one paying for it.

So thanks for your input anyway.

Apologies. I misunderstood your question.

However, just to point out, some of the inconsistencies arise because of confusion over manufacturers warranties. You would expect them all to be the same but they are not. For example BaIley cover fridges and windows for three years, Swift cover Fridges for one year and windows for three, Elddis cover fridges for three but windows for one. It would benefit the consumer if the industry adopted a standard warranty across the board .

poolebob

Apologies. I misunderstood your question.

However, just to point out, some of the inconsistencies arise because of confusion over manufacturers warranties. You would expect them all to be the same but they are not. For example BaIley cover fridges and windows for three years, Swift cover Fridges for one year and windows for three, Elddis cover fridges for three but windows for one. It would benefit the consumer if the industry adopted a standard warranty across the board .

poolebob

I agree but a standard minimum is already a given under EU law, and that is surpassed by our own SOGA. Ive sent you a PM Poolebob with a bit more info.

It would benefit the consumer if the industry adopted a standard warranty across the board .

poolebob

No! Competition will benefit the consumer, not "me too".

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES