2014 Crusader Or Rallye Problems

IanT599

Hi all,

We are currently torn between a new Crusader Storm and the Compass Rallye 644. I'm pretty sure these are the exact same caravans just with fabric/wood changes.

I'd be really interested in any issues people have had with their 2014 models.

At present we have a Bailey Unicorn 1 and the list of issues on recent Bailey Caravans seems endless. Their 2015 demos have shown us poorer build quality and they just seem to be lacking behind other manufacturers.

Watching the recent caravan finder tv show on the Elddis caravans for 2015 has led us to view a 2014 Storm and 2014 Rallye 644. Both were of excellent quality and the drawers, units and cupboards seem very strong and solid.

We have had a quick look through the Elddis topics but seems to be very few issues. Would love to hear feedback from 2014 owners faults or not.

Thanks

Car - Range Rover Autobiography and a Range Rover Vogue
Caravan - 2015 Compass Rallye 644 with Isabella Commodore, Isabella Magnum Coal 250 and Isabella Eclipse
Trailer - Sankey Mk3 Widebody

We picked up our 2014 Storm in May and initially were over the moon but since then things have gone a bit downhill :(

Just returned from Summer trip and to date -

1. Supplied shower head combined with poor pump pressure was pitiful compared to previous 2010 onboard pump but fixed by purchasing ecocamel head that I see is now standard on 2015!

2. Showering with external pump is impossible unless you enjoy being burnt every time you rinse before temperature stabilises. Using onboard pump gets round the problem.

3. External pump broke and had to be replaced.

4. Diamond wheel locks are a pain in the proverbial to fit and remove - key broke in 1 lock and nearly immobilised us but managed to sort with tool kit I carry - luckily brought spare key.

5. A spotlight has stopped working already and bulbs can't be replaced so new unit needed.

6. Radio has dropped out of slot.

7. Omnivent has started to rattle and grind when used on full.

8. Fridge appears to be faulty when used on gas - making roaring noise, clicking, and smell of fumes in caravan causing headaches/nausea.

9. 240V cable for fridge was touching flue and has melted.

10. All the fixing screws have fallen out of the bed frame.

11. Some of the catches needed adjustment to work.

I bought the Storm to replace a 2010 Cyclone with the dreaded creased side issue resulting in a big depreciation hit and outlay due to steep price increase so disappointed to say the least :angry:

However the Storm layout and interior/exterior design are a big hit with us so hoping once these problems are sorted by the dealer who has been very good so far things will get better. Just a shame that a perfect caravan has been spoiled by poor workmanship and quality of components.

The heating and hot water is fantastic. The storage space is immense. The interior feels huge and light.

Time will tell. ....... :blush:

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o

Hi we picked our 2014 mistral up at the beginning of may, we've towed hundreds of miles since and spent nearly 40 nights in it (same layout as storm but on a single axle) Sorry to hear that you are having problems Muddywheels but the Mistral is still going well, no problems with the shower or fridge (which we mostly use on gas) The heating is great, love the layout and everything still working as it should unlike our previous 2013 Elddis Affinity which we gave up on after 8 months of trouble from new! Fingers crossed that the Mistral continues to be trouble free . Good luck with whichever way you choose to go

We picked up our 2014 Storm in May and initially were over the moon but since then things have gone a bit downhill :(

Just returned from Summer trip and to date -

1. Supplied shower head combined with poor pump pressure was pitiful compared to previous 2010 onboard pump but fixed by purchasing ecocamel head that I see is now standard on 2015!

2. Showering with external pump is impossible unless you enjoy being burnt every time you rinse before temperature stabilises. Using onboard pump gets round the problem.

3. External pump broke and had to be replaced.

4. Diamond wheel locks are a pain in the proverbial to fit and remove - key broke in 1 lock and nearly immobilised us but managed to sort with tool kit I carry - luckily brought spare key.

5. A spotlight has stopped working already and bulbs can't be replaced so new unit needed.

6. Radio has dropped out of slot.

7. Omnivent has started to rattle and grind when used on full.

8. Fridge appears to be faulty when used on gas - making roaring noise, clicking, and smell of fumes in caravan causing headaches/nausea.

9. 240V cable for fridge was touching flue and has melted.

10. All the fixing screws have fallen out of the bed frame.

11. Some of the catches needed adjustment to work.

I bought the Storm to replace a 2010 Cyclone with the dreaded creased side issue resulting in a big depreciation hit and outlay due to steep price increase so disappointed to say the least :angry:

However the Storm layout and interior/exterior design are a big hit with us so hoping once these problems are sorted by the dealer who has been very good so far things will get better. Just a shame that a perfect caravan has been spoiled by poor workmanship and quality of components.

The heating and hot water is fantastic. The storage space is immense. The interior feels huge and light.

Time will tell. ....... :blush:

Hi Muddywheels,

point 2 is down to the Whale IC controller. There is a now a modified version of it which reduces the hot water spike significantly. Whale sent me one a few weeks back, I installed it myself and tested it during our recent holiday. The change in temperature is still there but barely noticeable.

Give Whale a call and they will help you out :)

Mark.

Bailey Unicorn 3 Barcelona

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 7 seater

Thanks Mark - will do :D

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Hi IanT599

We picked up our Storm in May also and have had about 27 nights away in it so far. Actually looked at the Rallye too as there weren't any Storms in the area to look at so I can confirm the layout is the same, however the price was the same but the external look of the crusader was much more impressive especially with the flush privacy glass. I also felt the interior finish was much better.

We have also had a few issues these being:-

Stereo loose due to clips not being secured properly

Fridge freezer not secured properly

Bed frame installed incorrectly

These were all corrected promptly by our dealer

However latest problem being one of the front windows almost hanging off allowing water to pour inside during the heavy rain. Thankfully we were away in it at the time and it wasn't sat in storage when it happened so we were able to take immediate action to stop it getting worse and stop the ingress of water. We dropped it off at our dealers on the way back.

These issues aside . .... we wouldn't change it. We love the space, the luxury, the admiring glances (especially when people can't see you watching them because of the privacy glass). The layout is ideal for us.

Sorry to hear of your problems too Muddywheels.

Jeep Grand Cherokee S Limited

2014 Crusader Storm :D

I am bemused by your comment "list of issues on recent Bailey caravans endless". If you read the other manufacturers forums you will find they all have issues! You are lucky to have seen the new Bailey Unicorn, our first viewing will be at The Lawns Exhibition this coming Saturday.

As regards Elddis v Compass the 2014 Elddis is based on a BPW Chassis with Winterhoff stabiliser whilst the Compass is Alko based. I don't know if it is significant but for 2015 Elddis has moved to Alko.

My friend with a Crusader Shamal has had endless trouble with the winterhoff having had 2 separate call outs in France because he could not unhitch. His caravan (2013) was delivered with a potentially lethal gas leak, Since then he has had water ingression problems at the front.

Buy the Caravan you like that suits your needs but it seems a bit of a lottery whether you will have problems.

It may be that as a Bailey owner I am on that section more often and therefore see people commenting daily about issues. Lots of the U2 issues could have been easily sorted at manufacture or PDI (showers leaking, awning rail full of mastic/sealant, front lockers leaking). The reason I never bought a U2 was because of these issues. They were't random and it wasn't a lottery. Nearly all showers leak on the U2 out of the factory. Who on earth would by a new caravan knowing that the shower was going to leak from the start? Another reason we didn't get a U2 was the fact that the brand new demo vans always had a fault or damage due to poor manufacture quality. Locker catches hanging off, doors not closing. The U3 seems no better. First van we seen had half of its lights not working internally and again locker catches broken on a 3-4 day old caravan doesn't fill me with confidence.

That is why I posted this topic. To ask present customers if they were having any common issues or issues in general and what they were. We already feel that the 2015 Rallye 664 will be our next caravan as we have ruled out Bailey, Swift and Coachman. We still need to view Lunar and Adria but we are pretty much set on the Rallye.

As the new Compass caravans are only 12 months old or thereabouts I extended the search of information to the Crusader models as they as both similar and almost identical.

A couple of issues already mentioned on 2014 models have been changed for the 2015 models. To me this is encouraging that the company has identified a fault and set about to fix/correct it. 2-3 years Bailey customers have had to live with a leaking showers because they didn't bother to change it.

Caravan - 2015 Compass Rallye 644 with Isabella Commodore, Isabella Magnum Coal 250 and Isabella Eclipse

His caravan (2013) was delivered with a potentially lethal gas leak,

Surely the dealer should have picked this up on the PDI before handing it over to the customer.

Thanks Mark - will do :D

In fact Whale called me today to see how I was getting on with the new controller. I said that it was far better but there was still a small occasional temp change.

It turns out that the controller they sent me was a prototype just to see if it helped. They now have a production version which they will send me next week. Hopefully this is the one you will recieve.

Mark.

Bailey Unicorn 3 Barcelona

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 7 seater

• 9 months later...

We have a Crusader Mistral 2014. Lovely design and layout, very comfortable and high spec. BUT quality and attention to detail fall short.

To start with, a minor thing, the cutlery tray is not the right shape for the drawer it goes in!

There are two brackets for the TV, but the fittings are not interchangeable so you can't move the TV from one position to the other.

The fridge has failed twice and has needed a new control unit each time.

The cutlery drawer is incredibly stiff - Elddis have supplied new runners which are the wrong ones (still waiting to sort this out).

The PIR for the alarm was faulty so the alarm kept going off randomly.

Three of the catches on cupboards stick - at present I can't get at the saucepans. The dealer says they have had a lot of problems reported with these catches and it looks as if they are using a different design this year, but nobody has contacted us to suggest replacing the bad ones.

Given the price of the van, I am extremely disappointed!

Took a while to get mine fully sorted.

Just a bit miffed one of the 4wd motors on the mover has now failed. Ok it isn't a Elddis/Compass issue but it is only 9-10 months old too.

Hi Mark

The Mistral and the Storm I had are superb caravans but agree totally on the disappointment :(

I sold mine after a year partly because we are moving house but also because I spent the 12 months I owned it sorting poor workmanship/quality control issues :o

In the end I sold it how it should of been when I bought it but completely ruined my enjoyment and worrying about future issues meant it had to go. I would love a Mistral in the future but Mrs Muddy has said No - NEVER AGAIN :blush:

I hope you get sorted - my dealer shut down and Elddis Customer Service are useless so I ended up dealing direct with suppliers to get things sorted. The catches are garbage - on my 2010 Cyclone they were metal but price jumped £1000's and they are now plastic and break if you look at them. The cutlery draw doesn't fit like you say and we had to get the fridge fixed too :angry:

Edited by Muddywheels