Discounts Buying A New Van At The Nec Show In October

tony80

Hi all

Sorry if this post is in the wrong section couldn't see anything under shows.

I'm currently in the market to buy a new van. I've narrowed my choices down to the Adria Altea or Swift Sprite range. Both have updates coming for 2015 albeit the Sprite range is only small.

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys have bought new at the show and were the discounts significant? We have had a few offers on the last of the 2014 sprite vans saving around £1000 on rrp in end of season sales. Million dollar question- do you think I could pick up a 2015 van at the show for similar money to a 2014 end of season sales? I've been told by several dealers that swift haven't released prices for 2015 but all indications are they won't be too different.

If you have bought at a show before could you give me tips in order that I try getting the best deal possible and what if any discounts can be expected?

Thanks in advance:)

You'll find many dealers doing 'show' prices whilst not at the show. I'd also expect you to get more than 1k off the previous years model tbh. Try a few dealers out, they vary massively on the deals available

You'll find many dealers doing 'show' prices whilst not at the show. I'd also expect you to get more than 1k off the previous years model tbh. Try a few dealers out, they vary massively on the deals available

Quite right Milky :)

Shop around beforehand.

Ive ordred my new van from a dealer, where ive had other dealers tell me they couldnt match it. So there ARE deals to be had before the show. And i believe it wouldnt get beaten at the show. I did by a Lunar though a few years ago at the NEC. I just went round all the Lunar dealers to see what prices they were giving and then played them off against each other.

Im going to the NEC show this year and im hoping i might be lucky to find a good deal on a motormover and automatic satellite dish. Still worth a punt

I bought my last two vans at the show but I'd already had a good phone around beforehand to see what sort of deal I could get and established my "cost to change" . I don't get hung up on the price of the new one or the allowance on the old one - it's how much money I have to hand over with my old van which is important

I'd then use this to see if I could better it by playing the various dealers off against each other. It was surprising how different the deals could be - sometimes a difference of over £2k especially if a dealer has targets to achieve or want's your old van.

If you haven't got a p/x then you need to see what kit you can get added as sometimes you can get quite a lot of equipment thrown in, some of which can be quite expensive (a motor mover for instance or waste & water tanks). Make sure you get written quotes which will enable you remember what you've been offered and by whom.

Bear in mind though that buying a van from a dealer 200 miles away, might not be so much of a good deal if you have to lug it back and forth to get any warranty work done

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Don't forget when you are comparing the price of that 2014 van that when you come to sell it is already a year old as the length of time you had it doesn't count when selling so £1000 off isn't such a good offer. Go to the show armed with your nearest dealer's phone number for what you think that you might want to buy and then ring him and tell him what you can get it for at the show. We got about £1200 off our local dealer price doing that.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

SWIFT have preview days on at moment and are at The Lawns this weekend,so prices will be known. .

I have bought twice at showtime. ..once on a new model and saved £900, the other was on a new model but post show at a dealer and saved £400. ........but remember if on a part exchange their rates may change on inspection. ....mine did on the first model. ..

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

It's not unusual for a dealer to look at your van and then reject it at the agreed trade in price because of discovered damp. Make sure you disclose EVERYTHING that's wrong with yours and be there when they check your trade in to make sure you have the correct deal.

Another thing to remember is that a good dealer near to where you live can be worth a lot of money if you have to have remedial work done in the future.

Reads did post that they always look after their own sales first, can't blame them, others will obviously do the same. ......Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

Some dealers carry on the show discount after the show, much easier to deal with as they can see your p/x and give a firm value - it's also a lot less pressure to "sign now".

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

I don't get hung up on the price of the new one or the allowance on the old one - it's how much money I have to hand over with my old van which is important

Bear in mind though that buying a van from a dealer 200 miles away, might not be so much of a good deal if you have to lug it back and forth to get any warranty work done

:goodpost: Absolutely!

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Are these displays and sales at these shows always by a dealer?

Do the makers never display themselves?

I would only want to deal with the maker if show out of my area and make sure the maker is arranging after sales things trough my local dealer.

Regards, David
Peugeot 308 GT Premium, 1.5 diesel 2021

Are these displays and sales at these shows always by a dealer?

Do the makers never display themselves?

I would only want to deal with the maker if show out of my area and make sure the maker is arranging after sales things trough my local dealer.

I think that manufacturers have stands at the shows and provide the caravans for display. I believe that dealers have to pay to have their salespeople on the manufacturer's stand. The dealers can be from all parts of the country and clearly will want to sell as many caravans / finance as possible to recoup their outgoings, regardless of where the buyer lives.

Sometimes dealers from the buyer's local area attend but may be on the stand of a different manufacturer from the brand in which the buyer is interested.

What inevitably happens is that when buyers who bought at the previous show collect their caravans from the dealer many miles from their homes the CT forum will have posts from disgruntled buyers regarding delivery and the recently recognised perils to them of buying from a distant dealer. :rolleyes:

I think that manufacturers have stands at the shows and provide the caravans for display. I believe that dealers have to pay to have their salespeople on the manufacturer's stand. The dealers can be from all parts of the country and clearly will want to sell as many caravans / finance as possible to recoup their outgoings, regardless of where the buyer lives.

Sometimes dealers from the buyer's local area attend but may be on the stand of a different manufacturer from the brand in which the buyer is interested.

What inevitably happens is that when buyers who bought at the previous show collect their caravans from the dealer many miles from their homes the CT forum will have posts from disgruntled buyers regarding delivery and the recently recognised perils to them of buying from a distant dealer. :rolleyes:

Best to look but not buy.

Regards, David

You can't buy from the maker direct. You can only buy from a dealer. There will be dealers from all over the country so buy from one local to you.

Brian

You can't buy from the maker direct. You can only buy from a dealer. There will be dealers from all over the country so buy from one local to you.

Brian

That is fine if all the nearest dealers of all makes are there to take orders.

One as got to take into consideration that one tow to him for the annual service and a few days later a tow back will be needed each year whilst in warranty at least.

From this forum it can be seen that one will have a good chance of a warranty repair or two in that period of taking and bring it back.

Regards, David

That is fine if all the nearest dealers of all makes are there to take orders.

One as got to take into consideration that one tow to him for the annual service and a few days later a tow back will be needed each year whilst in warranty at least.

From this forum it can be seen that one will have a good chance of a warranty repair or two in that period of taking and bring it back.

That is highly unlikely. Local dealers come in a wide range of shapes and sizes and the chances of even relatively large local dealers of the brand a buyer is interested in attending can be quite slim.

There was recently a long running topic on this forum where the OP had bought a caravan at a show from dealer who was a couple of hundred miles from the buyer. It appears to have been the buyer's understanding from what he was allegedly told by the salesman at the show that any warranty rectification would be carried out by a local Transient warranty repairer. When the buyer required warranty repairs from a more local dealer's workshop he was very disappointed with the dealer's response. The topic ran for several hundred posts I believe.

Edited by DeeTee

Ive had no issue. Bought 2 vans from a dealer 150 miles away. But had them serviced and warranty work done by a dealer 5 miles away :)

Ive had no issue. Bought 2 vans from a dealer 150 miles away. But had them serviced and warranty work done by a dealer 5 miles away :)

You did well then, it certainly not the case of many others who post and those I know of.

It works well in the car trade but seems not in the caravan world, I guess there are laws covering cars to make it work for the consumer.

Regards, David

It seems a shame that you have to buy a caravan locally "just in case warranty work may be needed at a later date".

I've bought Bailey caravans from a dealer not far from Bristol and had them serviced locally and the odd warranty claim fulfilled by the same local dealer too. I suppose I must be lucky!

I've always given my local dealer the opportunity of matching the best deal I've secured, but they've never got anywhere near the price, more's the pity, after all, a few hundred quid saving is not to be sniffed at.

I do support my local dealer with the purchase of accessories too, so I don't feel as though I'm just taking advantage of them.

It seems a shame that you have to buy a caravan locally "just in case warranty work may be needed at a later date".

I've bought Bailey caravans from a dealer not far from Bristol and had them serviced locally and the odd warranty claim fulfilled by the same local dealer too. I suppose I must be lucky!

I've always given my local dealer the opportunity of matching the best deal I've secured, but they've never got anywhere near the price, more's the pity, after all, a few hundred quid saving is not to be sniffed at.

I do support my local dealer with the purchase of accessories too, so I don't feel as though I'm just taking advantage of them.

Exactly my case aswell

Well put!

While we ordered our van at last Oct NEC show, it was with a local Dealer.

Nearly went for an Eterniti! And would have possibly gone for an Adria Astella, - but no local dealer.

Took advantage of a few grand of interest free credit too, as it was a show offer funded by Swift direct.

Did this as last 2011 van had damp, paid it all on delivery, but this time thought we would have an added advantage of Black Horse to go to if we got a duffer. , - who ultimately have a bigger stick to use, if all else fails.

In the event, it has been back for warranty work twice, jury still out on a floor issue.

Definitely would not be happy if forced to take it to a dealer further away.