13 Pin To 7 Pin

Tiger2103

Still looking for our first van after weeks of searching, I have a twin electric system tow bar fitted to my towing vehicle but only have the primary system ( lights, etc) wired as I'm not too bothered about charging battery and having fridge on while we travel so I'm happy to keep it like this, my question is, if I buy a van with a 13 pin connector and use an adaptor, will the lights etc work normally even though I don't have the secondary circuit connected

Thanks

yes but if it uses things like ATC then these will fail to work. The trailer lights will do just that, apart from the reverse light, which is on the 12s circuit. I have just bought a 13pin van and still run 12n and 12s, adaptor works just fine for me with those, and i can tow with just the 12n

Out of interest, how come your tow vehicle has both sockets but the 12S is not wired in?

I assume it is a bare unwired socket?

I ran for years with just the 12N (lights), but then had the 12S wired in. £250 I think.

Now the ATC works and the fridge stays cool.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Just a small note. .. If you do buy a van with ATC fitted, please tell your insurance company that you are not using it if your wiring does not support it. Don't want to find yourself with payout issues should the worse happen (God forbid). :D

It's not a massive task to wire the system up properly though.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi