Is The Towbar Likely To Be Damaged By A Minor Collision?

Big Tim

On Friday Cary was driving our Kia Sorento when she was involved in a minor accident. She was turning left from a minor road into another minor road at slow speed when she had to stop to give way to an approaching car. The motorist following Cary, in a Honda CRV, failed to stop and crashed into the back of her. The nearside bumper of the Honda was badly dented but our car only suffered a couple of small indentations on the bumper. Our towbar had done the damage to the Honda's wing and saved our car's rear end from significant obvious damage.

I am, however concerned as to whether our towbar or the car floor has been damaged by this accident. It was a very low speed collision. I reported the accident to our insurers, LV, who suggested that we get the towbar and car checked I'm just wondering who would be best to do this. LV's recommended repairer offered to make a home visit to assess the damage but I'm not sure if they will be the best people to check the towbar/floor especially at home without being able to clearly see underside of the car/towbar. The damage to our bumper is so superficial that it would not be worth taking the car to the recommended repairer who is situated 8 miles away. The bumper damage would only need a bit of filler and a touch up - a mobile "dentman" type operation could sort it out.

I'd be grateful for any comments regarding the possible damage to the towbar/car floor and how to best get it checked out.

Tim

Kia Sorento Titan TDI (07) & Bailey Senator Arizona (06-5 Series)with Alko ATC, Powrtouch HD motor mover and Alko shocks

I was involved in what I regarded as a minor collision which only did superficial damage to my vehicle - a bit of a paint job and replacement of one of the rear light assemblies. My towing bracket was not touched by the colliding vehicle.

On examination in the insurer's body shop it was discovered that the rear wheels were out of alignment and the rear axle beam had to be replaced. It may be that the misalignment was a pre-existing fault but was only discovered when placed on alignment measuring jigs. In my case no examination regarding the collision damage took place at my home. All marks and damage to the vehicle was noted before it left my home on the back of a truck.

My concern with the obvious damage to your vehicle would be any possible hidden damage to the towing bracket and the floor pan of the vehicle.

It is worth getting it checked, if only for your own peace of mind.

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

The damage to our bumper is so superficial that it would not be worth taking the car to the recommended repairer who is situated 8 miles away. The bumper damage would only need a bit of filler and a touch up - a mobile "dentman" type operation could sort it out.

Don't think that will be the case as superficial damage to a bumper requires removal, making good and re-spraying so you are talking £250+.

A good repair agent will assess damage caused by, or to, a bumper, towbar or floorpan. You may find that unless you use your insurer's recommended repairer you will have an excess to pay.

Go with your Insurers advice, they are the ones who will determine the outcome from one of their approved repairers.

Even a slow speed bump can do a lot of damage under the car and 8 miles is not much of a journey to get it seen.

Insurers will only approve repairs which bring the vehicle back into original condition so it most likely means a new bumper at the very least, and all that entails in removal, painting the new bumper to match and refitting

Edited by Brecon

Several vehicles have wound up with a rippled floor pan after a low speed shunt,

the damage is done by the weight of the vehicles involved and at what velocity.

Depending on the type of towbar it could be a structural part of the car - mine for instance replaces the rear structural crossmember so a shunt up the back into the ball could distort the whole car, something that would be hard to spot unless you know what to look for. I've seen some of the damage that can be done by "minor" shunts, get a proper survey done.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Yes its important to have the car on ramps to inspect the towbar fixings and the structure its bolted to.

Two cars have rear ended cars I've owned fitted with a fixed flanged towbar, in both cases the cars were rendered stationary as the ball usually takes out the radiator or oil cooler etc.

One occasion my bar was pushed up slightly about half an inch, that was a similar incident to the OP.

On the second occasion on the A1 the following car damaged the rear panel and creased the boot floor, the rear panel towbar and bumper was replaced, damaged really because in those days the towbar fixings often fixed to the rear panel and wheel well.

LV= are a decent insurer and will in all probability recover your excess from the 3rd party - as they did when someone pranged me a few years ago. Didn't lose any NCB credit either. In other words, don't try and shortcut this, do it by the book!

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

I was shunted at low speed a few years back- more damage was done to their car when they reversed off my tow ball than was done to my car. I reported it to my insurer and requested the tow bar be replaced which they were happy to agree to.

What I was concerned with was the cowboys they employ as their official repairers fitted the new tow bar using the original bolts- these bolts being one of my concerns in the first place! Luckily I was under the car checking their work and spotted this before they managed to hand over the car. I never noticed until it was too late that they had replaced my ALKO towball with a cheap copy (that wasn't even round).

I am glad that I requested the replacement though- even just for my peace of mind.

Insignia 2.0 SRi pulling a Series 6 Bailey Pageant Vendee gallery_23796_434_10025.jpg

Tim

Would definitely get it checked.

I have a good mate who is in the 'trade' and he advised me against using a dent man to repair a scuff on the jeep. He recommended paying a bit more and using a body shop as apparently the repair will fade after a bit, especially on a silver car, which are hard to match up as well.

Mike

Edited by MPG

VW Touareg 3. 0L V6 262 R Line with a Unicorn IV Segovia trying to keep up!

On Friday Cary was driving our Kia Sorento when she was involved in a minor accident. She was turning left from a minor road into another minor road at slow speed when she had to stop to give way to an approaching car. The motorist following Cary, in a Honda CRV, failed to stop and crashed into the back of her. The nearside bumper of the Honda was badly dented but our car only suffered a couple of small indentations on the bumper. Our towbar had done the damage to the Honda's wing and saved our car's rear end from significant obvious damage.

I am, however concerned as to whether our towbar or the car floor has been damaged by this accident. It was a very low speed collision. I reported the accident to our insurers, LV, who suggested that we get the towbar and car checked I'm just wondering who would be best to do this. LV's recommended repairer offered to make a home visit to assess the damage but I'm not sure if they will be the best people to check the towbar/floor especially at home without being able to clearly see underside of the car/towbar. The damage to our bumper is so superficial that it would not be worth taking the car to the recommended repairer who is situated 8 miles away. The bumper damage would only need a bit of filler and a touch up - a mobile "dentman" type operation could sort it out.

I'd be grateful for any comments regarding the possible damage to the towbar/car floor and how to best get it checked out.

Tim

A couple of things.

I would go with your insurer. The accident was clearly not the fault of the driver of the Sorrento. It is therefore not in LV's interest to hodge a repair given the losses can be recovered from the other persons ins. Co.

That said ensure you are with the assessor when they examine your car at home. Ensure they fully and properly check the boot floor and rear panel for any kinks or ripples, removing everything in the boot in the process. Ask them to check all the shut lines on the tailgate and that the are even.

In short it's about not letting them fob you off and making it known that you will take no,prisoners if they mess up and try to pull,off a cheap repair.

Don't worry too much about the bumper. ....they can be plastic welded and painted with minimal fuss.

Martin. ..........

Thanks everyone for your input I'm going to have the car, especially the towbar, checked by the guy from Motor Bodies, Widnes who are LV's nearest approved repairers. I may, also, get a quote from a more local body shop known to me.

LV have confirmed that the other party has admitted liability so no excess or costs for me, at least not until renwal, but that's a year away.

Tim

Kia Sorento Titan TDI (07) & Bailey Senator Arizona (06-5 Series)with Alko ATC, Powrtouch HD motor mover and Alko shocks

Thanks everyone for your input I'm going to have the car, especially the towbar, checked by the guy from Motor Bodies, Widnes who are LV's nearest approved repairers. I may, also, get a quote from a more local body shop known to me.

LV have confirmed that the other party has admitted liability so no excess or costs for me, at least not until renwal, but that's a year away.

Tim

As far as I am aware, if it's a none-fault accident such as yours then it should not cost you any money or increase your premiums ever, even next renewal.

Worth getting the car repaired on the other parties insurance as others above have suggested, they even have to supply you with an equivalent loan vehicle while yours is being repaired.

Be prepared for a load of phone calls from various no-win-no-fee type places over the next few weeks though asking if you have whiplash etc. ..

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

I thought the NCD was a no claim discount.

So any claim will reduce your bonus? Or at least your "years of no claims".

Which then makes a online quote more complicated.

I thought the NCD was a no claim discount. So any claim will reduce your bonus? Or at least your "years of no claims".Which then makes a online quote more complicated.

No, as far as I am aware that is only if you make a claim from your insurance. You are making a claim from their car insurance so it doesn't count against you.

Mahatma Gandhi

No, as far as I am aware that is only if you make a claim from your insurance. You are making a claim from their car insurance so it doesn't count against you.

I always understood that only applied if your NCD is protected. That is the case with my insurers, as NCD protection is offered at extra cost.

It is not a NBD (no blame discount) but a no claim discount. If you make a claim you are making the claim on your own insurance. In turn your own insurance will sometimes, but not always, seek to mitigate their loss by claiming in full from the other party's insurance.

How do you claim from their insurance with out notifying your own?

Always gone through my own, perhaps I've been doing it incorrectly?

Assuming the other party has accepted blame, but then they often go home and change their mind and claim it wasn't their fault.

Making a claim where the other party has accepted fault will NOT affect your NCD. You have not made a claim against your insurance but against theirs. Therefore you continue to receive a discount for not having claimed against your insurance.

As an extreme example I was side-swiped by a car being chased by police. I claimed on my insurance and even though the other party turned out to be uninsured it didn't affect my NCD although I did have to pay the excess myself.

Tony

Making a claim where the other party has accepted fault will NOT affect your NCD. You have not made a claim against your insurance but against theirs. Therefore you continue to receive a discount for not having claimed against your insurance.

As an extreme example I was side-swiped by a car being chased by police. I claimed on my insurance and even though the other party turned out to be uninsured it didn't affect my NCD although I did have to pay the excess myself.

Tony

Sorry to disagree but as others have said its a No Claim Discount not a no blame discount. If you claim for whatever reason then your insurance company may well reduce your NCD. Its down to them. Many Insurance companies offer protected NCDs. In those cases you dont loose it.

Someone suggested by passing your own insurance if its not your fault. I am in the midst of a claim for something which isnt my fault. (I wasn't in the car at the time.) The other person offered to pay but I went through my insurance for a number of reasons. It saves a lot of hassle. They find out who the others insurers are and do the donkey work. I can get the repairs done without having to wait for the money for someone else or any arguments. In fact my insurance authorised temporary repairs there and then to get me home. Thanks LV.

Another reason I didn't by pass my insurers was because they all have access to a database which gives details of which company you are insured with so they may have found out anyway.

poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

Sorry to disagree but as others have said its a No Claim Discount not a no blame discount.

I disagree. No Blame and No Claim amount to exactly the same thing. If you are not to blame (and this is accepted) then you have not made a claim against your insurance.

Tony

Sorry to disagree but as others have said its a No Claim Discount not a no blame discount. If you claim for whatever reason then your insurance company may well reduce your NCD. Its down to them. Many Insurance companies offer protected NCDs. In those cases you dont loose it.

Someone suggested by passing your own insurance if its not your fault. I am in the midst of a claim for something which isnt my fault. (I wasn't in the car at the time.) The other person offered to pay but I went through my insurance for a number of reasons. It saves a lot of hassle. They find out who the others insurers are and do the donkey work. I can get the repairs done without having to wait for the money for someone else or any arguments. In fact my insurance authorised temporary repairs there and then to get me home. Thanks LV.

Another reason I didn't by pass my insurers was because they all have access to a database which gives details of which company you are insured with so they may have found out anyway.

poolebob

You can do this directly with the other parties insurance company. . there really is no ned to go through your insurance. The other parties insurance will be paranoid about you going to a no-win no-fee company so they will pull out all the stops to make you happy in my experience.

I got rear ended by an old chap insured by Tesco. Tesco phoned me and arranced for the vehicle to be collected and dropped of fa lovely loan car for the full period. Frankly ir was a pleasure to deal with them, no hastle at all.

Mahatma Gandhi

I had a similar experience when a lady insured with LV 'didn't see' our van's A-frame and drove into it - twice!

LV fell over themselves to get our van examined and the fairing replaced.

Tony