£500 Budget For A Full Awning?

Gone

New van, so new awning needed, our old Kampa Carnival has def seen better days, but having the extra pods meant that it's very versatile.

Now time has come to replace it, but to be honest i am stuck at a crossroads as to what or where to go.

I could plug the extra and pay £650 for a steel frame size 15 (1009 needed for Bailey S6)

I could pay £500 for an immaculate but used Issabella Ambassador with Fibre X poles, but alas no pods, so they would be required.

Wait to see if a decent used Kampa Comes up over the next few weeks, but as they are the lower end, they do seem to be a bit battered.

We still have our other Kampa Carnival (size 12 which is in good condition) to sell so that could help fund the new awning, along with the annexes we have for it. (the old Size 15 probably only good for spares tbh)

I know people talk that issabella are the best of the best, but never had one so can not talk from personal experience, so any suggestions and opinions are very welcome.

Stuart

If you buy the immaculate Isabella Ambassador you will never buy another awning unless you want a porch instead. My choice of awning would have been an Isabella Major Porch if only my van had been a tad bigger so that it came down just behind the front Window, as it was I bought a full sized Isabella and never regretted it.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

We have the Isabella Ambassador and it's just brilliant, expensive but you can't knock the quality, this awning will see us out! Also have the Isabella Minor for short breaks, another fantastic awning :)

kinda of clear cut this then, Isabella seems to be the way to go. We didn't really have a need for a full awning til this year, and the change of van, 2 of the 3 boys no longer want to sleep in the van, they want their own space hence the annex. So, full awning is going to be used more and more often, and the Fiamma Canopy just used for the wet weekends when putting a full awning away is impossible. My concerns with a cheaper awning was the sudden increase in use, that zips and stitching would soon suffer.

As we use the van around 10 times a year, it seems getting the better awning is a plus point, just hope those carbonX poles are as they say. as strong as steel, we seem to attract freak weather when we go away lol

Stu

What about Bradcot? Very good quality, equally as good as Isabella IMO, and the frame is a lot

easier to erect . Half the price.

Try canvaslove. co. uk. they video all their awnings

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

What about Bradcot? Very good quality, equally as good as Isabella IMO, and the frame is a lot

easier to erect . Half the price.

Try canvaslove. co. uk. they video all their awnings

We bought a Dorema porch from Canvas Love and what we saw in the video was what we got :D

kinda of clear cut this then, Isabella seems to be the way to go. We didn't really have a need for a full awning til this year, and the change of van, 2 of the 3 boys no longer want to sleep in the van, they want their own space hence the annex. So, full awning is going to be used more and more often, and the Fiamma Canopy just used for the wet weekends when putting a full awning away is impossible. My concerns with a cheaper awning was the sudden increase in use, that zips and stitching would soon suffer.

As we use the van around 10 times a year, it seems getting the better awning is a plus point, just hope those carbonX poles are as they say. as strong as steel, we seem to attract freak weather when we go away lol

Stu

If you can not find an annexe that is cheap enough you can always buy an inner tent to be used in the awning itself and these are relatively inexpensive. The zips and stitching on the Isabella awnings will last a lifetime.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

already on that one Bil

If you can not find an annexe that is cheap enough you can always buy an inner tent to be used in the awning itself and these are relatively inexpensive. The zips and stitching on the Isabella awnings will last a lifetime.

already on that one Bill, as it happens we have a 3 berth annexe in the loft, so for at least the immediate near future no real panic.

I have also looked at a Harrington awning (think they went bust) as these can be picked up for very little money and use carbon and fibre mixed poles, and my annexes WILL fit them, as one of my sleeping ones is a Harringtons.

The only thing that puts me off is unknown quality, but for 550 its a good deal too,

HOWEVER. .................is it going to last with 3 heavy handed boys tugging at it, will it peg down neatly and not puddle water on the roof, will it stand up to the usual british weather? From what i hear, only the higher end ones will!

I have 2 secondhand Isabellas, bought from ebay and specific for Carlights. I paid about £225 for each one. Whilst they are secondhand, they have decades of useful life in them, and I really cannot see the need to go for a new one.

I also have a Harrison, which I got for nothing, and nothing is about what it's worth. It's about 1/3 the weight of an Isabella, and there are no parts for it. Go for the best (well, I would say that!) and you won't regret it.

Tim

Herald Caravans had stocks of new unused Cabanon Apache awnings,

these were very well made with good materials (Cabanon are quality tent makers)