Sidewall Delamination?

Whilst this issue is on our motorhome, I guess the same would apply to a caravan, given that our MH is of the traditional Swift timber frame design. Here we go then. ................

Whilst washing the MH, I noticed that there's a 1sqm of aluminium side wall that creaks badly when you push against it. The exact area is shown in the photo. I've notified the supplying dealer who we bought it off in January this year as we have a 9 month warranty which runs out in mid October 2014. The dealer has asked if there's any bulging or bowing of the outer skin and, whilst we haven't replied to him yet, yes there is bulging. I'm guessing this indicates that the ally skin has somehow come unstuck? There's no visual signs of damp inside either.

post-58015-0-54431100-1409483342_thumb.jpg post-58015-0-20664000-1409483348_thumb.jpg

So what are our options?

1) Get it sorted by the dealer but what would this entail and what sort of time period to do the works?

2) Leave it but if we part-ex the MH in years to come through our current dealer, they'll be aware of it.

3) Leave it and hope it doesn't get worse.

Are we worrying about something trivial or, in your experience, is it something that needs sorting sooner rather than later? Could really do without the hassle at the moment tbh. :mellow:

Thanks guys.

2019 Adria Adora Thames

I'd definitely get it fixed by the dealer. I would guess that he would have to remove inner panels to do so but I could well be wrong about that.

If it's inconvenient right now then I'm sure you could get the dealer to agree to carry out the work at a more convenient time, just so long as he agrees before the warranty runs out.

Tony

Pebble, on 31 Aug 2014 - 12:11 PM, said:Pebble, on 31 Aug 2014 - 12:11 PM, said:

Whilst this issue is on our motorhome, I guess the same would apply to a caravan, given that our MH is of the traditional Swift timber frame design. Here we go then. ................

Whilst washing the MH, I noticed that there's a 1sqm of aluminium side wall that creaks badly when you push against it. The exact area is shown in the photo. I've notified the supplying dealer who we bought it off in January this year as we have a 9 month warranty which runs out in mid October 2014. The dealer has asked if there's any bulging or bowing of the outer skin and, whilst we haven't replied to him yet, yes there is bulging. I'm guessing this indicates that the ally skin has somehow come unstuck? There's no visual signs of damp inside either.

attachicon.gifPICT1804. JPG attachicon.gifPICT1805. JPG

So what are our options?

1) Get it sorted by the dealer but what would this entail and what sort of time period to do the works?

2) Leave it but if we part-ex the MH in years to come through our current dealer, they'll be aware of it.

3) Leave it and hope it doesn't get worse.

Are we worrying about something trivial or, in your experience, is it something that needs sorting sooner rather than later? Could really do without the hassle at the moment tbh. :mellow:

Thanks guys.

The location is possibly relevant, so close to the side hatch and the wheel arch, and in particular below the window. I would be getting a damp test done on the inside where that delamination is ASAP.

It may be dry but it's one of the first things I would check, even if as you say there is no visual signs. Sometimes when visual signs appear on the inside it is often a sign damp has got a significant hold.

Edited by The Dog House

Martin. ..........

Hopefully you are aware that the Sale of Goods Act covers you for 6 years although after the warranty you may need to prove the fault was inherent etc.

Thanks guys for your advice so far. I'll be contacting our dealer in the morning to have a further chat. So far, they've been very accommodating with some technical issues we've had in our 7 months of ownership and have no doubt they'll be able to assist us.

2019 Adria Adora Thames

Update - have just found the same problem in an identical area on the near side of the MH. Seems to be where the internal bedroom floor is glued to the outer bits. Managed to have a look between the double skinned floor via the rear locker and all is very dry and dusty. Might not be as bad as we first thought.

2019 Adria Adora Thames

Still, I would get it checked by the dealer, you will also have a record logged of when it occurred, so if you dealer fails to solve the problem and god forbid it gets worse in the future you have something to fall back on if they start to get funny about fixing it again.

Update - have spoken to the dealer and, as we have notified them before the warranty's up, have kindly offered to have a look at the problem AND carry out any remedial work at a time to suit us, be it November, December or January.

Fuller Leisure to our rescue again

2019 Adria Adora Thames

I had a similar problem, new side fitted.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.