Towing Caravan Under Train Bridges

GillH

Hi, we purchased an Abbey GTS 215, 2008, 2 berth caravan yesterday. We are having it delivered next week. My partner is worried about towing it under bridges. We have several train bridges near where we live. I'm sure it will be fine, what do you think please?

GH

GillH, on 31 Aug 2014 - 05:54 AM, said:

Hi, we purchased an Abbey GTS 215, 2008, 2 berth caravan yesterday. We are having it delivered next week. My partner is worried about towing it under bridges. We have several train bridges near where we live. I'm sure it will be fine, what do you think please?

GH

You will in most cases be just fine. Very few bridges are so low as to be a problem for any body towing a caravan.

If concerned check and double check the overall height of the 'van (including any additions such as aerials or roof mounted air con units) before you attempt any bridge you are concerned about. The info. on this should be in the handbook if you have this. Failing that you may need to measure it yourself.

Make a label with the overall height on and stick it to the dash of the car as a reminder where the driver can see it. Most if not all bridges that could cause a problem to high vehicles will be marked very clearly with the available clearance so you can check this before you pass.

Note on some bridges you may need to pass through the centre of the arch to get the stated available height, if you do the road markings normally indicate if this is required.

We have two lowish rail bridges in our village but they pose no hazard to UK Caravans or Motorhomes what so ever.

Martin. ..........

I agree and always have had a label with height and width in both metres and feet on the sun visor.

There are very few bridges too low for a caravan.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

We have a bridge near us that angles off

some long vehicles very occasionally touch

diagonally opposite corners.

"If in doubt, get out and scout" (I just made that up, good innit :D :D )

Edited by gumdrop

We have a couple of low bridges near us in Ely (2. 7m) & Littleport (2. 4m) but they are next to level crossings so you can bypass them by going over the crossing.

I do know someone who took his caravan under the Ely one - my van has a height of 2. 63m so it should go through but I wouldn't try it myself

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Sound advice already given and once your outfit height is determined, have a look at Philips Navigator Truckers Britain

We use this for planning our journeys as it is large scale and it gives the locations of some 6000 bridges along with their heights.

It's a good road atlas for sitting down and looking for height restrictions before setting out.

Stay safe ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Pays to know the hight of your outfit from highest point usually the ariel . i have seen I brand new high top motorhome crunch into a railway arch on approach to 6 arches in garstang . not nice . owner was distraught

2012 Static Willerby Severn, Sitting in Hidden Valley Welshpool . B)

We have a couple of low bridges near us in Ely (2. 7m) & Littleport (2. 4m) but they are next to level crossings so you can bypass them by going over the crossing.

I do know someone who took his caravan under the Ely one - my van has a height of 2. 63m so it should go through but I wouldn't try it myself

I have sat waiting in a lorry at the level crossing a Ely and watched a caravan go under the bridge. I thought the bridge might be too low at the time but it was fine.

That said, I do not even know how tall my caravan is!

Sound advice already given and once your outfit height is determined, have a look at Philips Navigator Truckers Britain

We use this for planning our journeys as it is large scale and it gives the locations of some 6000 bridges along with their heights.

It's a good road atlas for sitting down and looking for height restrictions before setting out.

That is currently the 'Rolls Royce' of road maps. Worth the money for any serious professional driver.

Has the revolution finally begun?

@The Op.

Ref. my earlier post, these are the two bridges in our village. Note the very clear height and width markings on the bridge itself and the road markings and traffic furniture that guides you to the centre of the arch (Though you would be fine over much of the width on these)

0T4TaUF.jpg

The other thing I forgot to mention is that there will often be signs posted in advance of any bridge likely to be too low for certain vehicles, these are normally posted well in advance giving you time to turn. (Though we do sometimes get the occasional large artic. that misses these and then has to perform a very tricky turn right in front of the bridges), clogging up the road while they do it.

Martin. ..........

Some good advice provided above. Once in a French City, I forget which, on a 3 lane road signposts said turn left which meant I had to get into the outside lane. This lane suddenly dived down and turned left under the oncoming traffic. Friends were following with their van on tow. They told me later that my van just cleared the underpass. I saw no clear indication of a height restriction, nor did my friend though I suppose there was one somewhere, no way a lorry would have got under. The only way to get out of the situation was to revers up a ramp onto a main road.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

JCloughie, on 31 Aug 2014 - 2:09 PM, said:

Some good advice provided above. Once in a French City, I forget which, on a 3 lane road signposts said turn left which meant I had to get into the outside lane. This lane suddenly dived down and turned left under the oncoming traffic. Friends were following with their van on tow. They told me later that my van just cleared the underpass. I saw no clear indication of a height restriction, nor did my friend though I suppose there was one somewhere, no way a lorry would have got under. The only way to get out of the situation was to revers up a ramp onto a main road.

John

There is a tricky one near Cahors France that dodges under the A20 I seem to recall, it is VERY low, in fact I seriously doubt a caravan or motorhome would have come close to getting under.

It was however preceded by one of those gantries with chains dangling down as an indicator you needed to stop if anything touched them. Quite were you were supposed to go though if it did ***** only knows, a tricky reverse there too is the only option I would say.

Martin. ..........

The A86 in Paris has a height restriction of 2metres! Couple of weeks ago I planned to use it (not knowing the constraint of course) to travel from Versailles to Maison Lafitte). I have to admit that we had been lost and still were uncertain as to where we were exactly - lost in Paris is NOT fun - so I put some trust in the Sat Nav.

I was just about to turn onto the A86 slip road when I saw the height restriction. Thank goodness I was able to change my mind and stay on the other carriageway. When I think about it now it brings on a cold sweat!

A descending slip road leading into a 2 metre height constraint. I just wonder how I would have gone on had I turned into the slip road and had to stop before the restraint! Doesn't bear thinking about! Two lanes of traffic and me blocking one and unable to move. The thought of reversing up the slip road with a constant stream of traffic on one side and irate drivers behind me!

Hey Ho! The joys of caravanning.

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

That is currently the 'Rolls Royce' of road maps. Worth the money for any serious professional driver.

Another vote for the Truckers Atlas.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

More chance of hitting a low bridge or overhead power line in EU than over here as they work to a Max 4m high vehicles and we work to no limit in the UK .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

More chance of hitting a low bridge or overhead power line in EU than over here as they work to a Max 4m high vehicles and we work to no limit in the UK .

Dave

Is that upper or lower limit ?

Vehicles in EU are upto 4m max .

Dave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

How many are too low for a caravan say 2. 5 metres?

Of those how many are not signposted well in advance?

How many caravanners know the height of their caravan?

Vehicles in EU are upto 4m max .

Dave

France, UK and Ireland have no height limit as do several other European countries not in the EU.

Strangely, the UK requires vehicles exceeding 3m height to have the actual height shown in the cab but many bridge strikes in the UK involve foreign registered trucks who are not required to have such markings.

Is that upper or lower limit ?

I was led to believe that any overhead obstruction over 16' 6" high need not carry any warnings.

Has the revolution finally begun?

How many are too low for a caravan say 2. 5 metres?

Here's one I picked up beejay, it's in the Derby area and low enough to rearrange the position of the aircon unit on our van. :o

Happened to spot this one when deciding which route to take the van for its service, not sure how far ahead it's sign posted.

post-1814-0-19732300-1409638433_thumb.jpg

Stay safe ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

France, UK and Ireland have no height limit as do several other European countries not in the EU.

Strangely, the UK requires vehicles exceeding 3m height to have the actual height shown in the cab but many bridge strikes in the UK involve foreign registered trucks who are not required to have such markings.

International travel in EU vehicles are limited to 4m.

Dave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

I carry a small laminated card in the tow car, showing my height, width, length and tyre pressures.

All caravanners should know the height of their outfit.

2017 Mercedes Benz 220 CLS  AMG design Shooting Brake.