13 Pin Or 12N/12S

Ich

So it's new car time and I'll be probably having a 13 pin plug fitted.

However the van uses the original 12N/12S system

Now looking at the pin designations of the two systems the 13 pin is missing the switched live for caravan battery charging which looking at the wiring diagram for the van it needs.

The van does NOT have an automatic habitation relay! There is a manually switched relay but that only switches some caravan power between the car and the caravan battery, it will not allow charging from the car.

So it looks as though I have 2 choices: -

1/ Using the spare pin 13 to provide a switched live for battery charging in transit

2/ From the switched fridge supply fit a separate relay in the van to provide a switched supply for battery charging from the permanent live pin 9

I could I suppose use the pin 9 power but that would put the two batteries in parallel and risk flattening the car battery neither of which I want to do

Any thoughts?

Oh and I realise it would be advisable to run a separate -ive from the fridge back to pin 10, this is not an issue or a problem

Edited by Ich

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely

13pin with out any doubt.

I am sorry I did not read your post properly and not answered your question!

But 13 pin is better than the old.

Edited by andrew2762

Ford Mondeo Estate Titaniuim TDCi mk4 (16v 140 BHP) (2008)

Towing Elddis Odyssey 544 (2008) Truma mover S towing at 98%

My web site caravanlife. updated 28/5/2017

Have a look on eBay for a 13 pin plug that has two inlets for the 12N and 12S cables, I got one 3 years ago and presumably they are still out there!

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

1/ Would be best.

2/ Would be easier IF the fridge wiring is up to it (which it probably won't be).

Unnamed/ Is as you said yourself not a great idea.

Tony

What van do you have?

The configuration for 13 pin is :

Pins 1 to 7 are the same as the 12N

Pin8 is reverse light and is Yellow from 12S cable

Pin9 is +feed from car and is Green from 12S

Pin 10 is Fridge +ve Red from 12S

Pin 11 is Earth for Pin 10 and is Black from 12S

Pin 12 is NOT used

Pin 13 is Earth for Pin 9 and is White from 12S

From what you have posted, if you run a -ve to Pin 10 you will have a dead short. .....NOT advisable.

Edited by Brecon

This has been discussed here. ..http://www. caravanclub. co. uk/community/discussions/welcome-hobby-talk/caravan-motorhome-chat/Wiring-for-fridge-and-battery-charging-13-pin-plug/rt/203710/

You might find something useful. Otherwise I would suggest using pin 12 connected from a voltage controlled relay in the boot.

In my opinion 13 pin is far superior but if you use a converter cable you are losing the extra security of the 13 pin system. I you intend to keep the van it would, in my opinion, be best to replace both 7 pin plugs with the 13 pin back to the multi connector, or chocolate bar.

Also, if you have ATC make sure you have a very sound permanent fused live. I did mine with much heavier cable than necessary. I found a good way to get from the car battery to the boot, avoiding the bulkhead, was through a hosepipe, cable tied under the car.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

What van do you have?

1991 Bailey Pageant

From what you have posted, if you run a -ve to Pin 10 you will have a dead short. .....NOT advisable.

My error I meant pin 11 :blink: :blink:

To explain further from the 12S are 3 cables.

One that is a permanent live that can be manually switched to supply the van and nothing else

One that is a switched live that is used to charge the battery

One that is a switched live to supply the fridge in transit.

2/ Would be easier IF the fridge wiring is up to it (which it probably won't be).

The only addition load on the fridge wiring would be the relay coil to provide a switched live, the power would come from the permanent live already on the 13c pin plug, I must admit this is my preferred option.

This has been discussed here.

Interesting thread but it makes one very bad assumption (that I see on here as well) that all vans have a habitation relay, this only applies to more modern ones, as I've stated mine does not have one.

Edited by Ich

Have a look on eBay for a 13 pin plug that has two inlets for the 12N and 12S cables, I got one 3 years ago and presumably they are still out there!

My dealer gave me a free one when I bought the 'van and used it all the time.

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

That is an option I've looked at but cannot see how it will provide a switched feed to charge the battery which came from pin 2 on the 12S and which is totally absent on the 13pin!

12 S Plug

1 Yellow Rev Lt

2Blue Spare (Pre 1998—Charger)

3White Earth pin4

4Green 12V

5Brown Spare (pre 1998 Sensing Device

6Red Fridge

7Black Earth pin 6 (pre 1998 Spare)

This was the spec, or should have been for your van for the 12S setup

The only addition load on the fridge wiring would be the relay coil to provide a switched live, the power would come from the permanent live already on the 13c pin plug, I must admit this is my preferred option.

Ahh, gotcha. Yes, sounds like a plan :)

Tony