Pegasus Series 2 - Front Panel Crack/split

a18041967

Just arrived at our final stop in France before returning home and noticed a crease and crack developing from the off side front window out towards the edge of the caravan. It's not causing us any problems at the moment but is clearly a problem, is this sort of fault covered by the 10 year structural warranty? Our caravans three year warranty ended in July and reading the 10 year warranty it referes to water Ingres only, has anyone else experienced similar problems?

I'm guessing that if Bailey accept it as a warranty repair it will have to be returned to the factory as the front roof and rear panels are now one piece.

Has it been serviced at recommended service intervals?

Time to email your dealer I think

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Yes serviced as required and I've emailed Simon Howard at Bailey and the dealer the photos so hopefully I'll receive an update on Monday.

The other thing that I noticed before our last service in July was that the central securing screws for the front overhead locker had all come loose or fallen out. It's impossible to re screw them as there's a 1/4" gap between the roof and securing brackets, not sure if this is related.

Yes serviced as required and I've emailed Simon Howard at Bailey and the dealer the photos so hopefully I'll receive an update on Monday.

The other thing that I noticed before our last service in July was that the central securing screws for the front overhead locker had all come loose or fallen out. It's impossible to re screw them as there's a 1/4" gap between the roof and securing brackets, not sure if this is related.

Probably :(

There have been a few who have reported front locker movement and alloy swarf found on the front shelf but I think this is a first for cracking front panels . Just to confirm, yours is alloy skinned ?

A couple of the photo's of the crease and crack, and so far I've had a positive response from Bailey and once the warranty claim has been accepted/approved our caravan will need returning to Bristol.

The more I look at what's required to replace the front panel it's a major job, all the overhead lockers will need to be accessed and the roof of the shower likely to need replacing. It would almost be better and quicker to replace the caravan.

post-667-0-86979100-1409573413_thumb.jpg

post-667-0-09658100-1409573426_thumb.jpg

Edited by a18041967

A couple of the photo's of the crease and crack, and so far I've had a positive response from Bailey and once the warranty claim has been accepted/approved our caravan will need returning to Bristol.

The more I look at what's required to replace the front panel it's a major job, all the overhead lockers will need to be accessed and the roof of the shower likely to need replacing. It would almost be better and quicker to replace the caravan.

They'll never replace the caravan !

Folks have had roof replaced with no problem.

Could it have been struck by an object in transit!

DJ

Looks a little like impact damage to me, wonder what the dealer will offer.

Edited by xtrailman

If you look carefully the crease originates from under the window seal, and the cracking also originates from under the seal. If it was impact damage the window would either need to be open or the window also damaged.

It's the reason why I've take a photo with the window open to show the origin of the crack.

Yes, you will need a new roof as the front and roof are one panel. It's a big job but Bailey now allow service agents to fit it. Takes a while to factor the construction into production though, up to 9 weeks I was told!

Caravanless. ...

If you look carefully the crease originates from under the window seal, and the cracking also originates from under the seal. If it was impact damage the window would either need to be open or the window also damaged.

It's the reason why I've take a photo with the window open to show the origin of the crack.

You can see its a crack. Think where you've cleaned the area gives the illusion of a crease come dent.

Yes, you will need a new roof as the front and roof are one panel. It's a big job but Bailey now allow service agents to fit it. Takes a while to factor the construction into production though, up to 9 weeks I was told!

What's wrong with yours ?

Edited by Gaz40

Nothing broken, just lots of little dents along the roof and at the reading edge where the roof curves into the front of the van.

Caravanless. ...

My Genoa had the screws drop out of the front overhead locker after 2 years, the van went back to Bailey after Reads sent them pictures. All seems ok now.

2018 Hyundai Tucson Premium SE CRDi Auto 2L towing a 2011 Bailey Pegasus Genoa

Point taken.

I don't recall seeing anything like your crease posted before, it looks extreme as if the window is missing a plastic support around the window frame.

I have a 2012 Olympus 530-4 which had exactly the same problem 1 year into its life.

There was no evidence of impact damage and after discussions between my dealer and Bailey I was told Bailey wanted to investigate the problem and it was returned to the factory to have a new roof / front assembly fitted.

Touch wood!! it has been fine since.

Regards

Firkle

Common; it happened to my father-in-law's Swift and our Coachman. It is caused by uneven stresses as the front heats and cools and also flexes during travel. When the front was off ours the van was left to 'relax' for 2 days before the new front was put on. It has been fine since. You can't really tell, except that the near side awning half rail was replaced without a relief opening to fit an awning, so we have to remember to fit it from the rear of the van! Is there a tool to create that opening, incidentally?

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Yup, big b u g g e r s!

Leicester bullets !!

Common; it happened to my father-in-law's Swift and our Coachman. It is caused by uneven stresses as the front heats and cools and also flexes during travel. When the front was off ours the van was left to 'relax' for 2 days before the new front was put on. It has been fine since. You can't really tell, except that the near side awning half rail was replaced without a relief opening to fit an awning, so we have to remember to fit it from the rear of the van! Is there a tool to create that opening, incidentally?

You've lost me with this post. Is your caravan an Alu-Tech ?

Edited by Gaz40

• 4 weeks later...

Well I have to say I'm nicely impressed yet again with Baileys service, no problems and our caravan is now booked in to be returned to Bailey early January with an estimated repair time of 6-8 weeks.

What I do find strange with the Bailey warranty system is that it seems to be an uphill struggle to get approval for small, basic items that have failed such as the hot water element but major repairs are trouble free. This is now the 2nd Bailey caravan that we've had returned to Bristol for major panel replacements and on both occasions the problems appeared to be minor. The first was due to the internal furniture woodwork rubbing against the roof and the roof lining becoming scuffed, and now this one.

Hopefully they will be able to correct the other minor defects whilst replacing the roof, locker screens coming loose, bowed wardrobe doors and wood edging trim that has shrunk resulting in wooden edges being exposed.

• 3 weeks later...

Whilst on holiday in June I pointed out similar cracks on his caravan to an owner of a Pegasus Mk2. These would appear to have different windows to the Mk1 models. Bottom corners of the Small front windows.

• 6 months later...

Funny I just typed a very long update that failed to post but never mind. Good news, my caravan was returned on Saturday after four months at Bailey (not an issue, and I don't think it took that long to repair).

Both me an our dealer were struggling to see what Bailey had done which was a good sign as we were expecting a roof replacement. Both the awning rails had been replaced, not the vertical ones at the back, and one new front window, but. .. The ariel, grab handles, locker door, and other front windows were all the originals as they had algae on. I asked Bailey what had been done and received the list below:

• New ceiling panel fitted
  • New full set roof lights fitted
  • New front decals fitted
  • New stone protectors fitted
  • Back filled corner caps
  • Grab handles sealed
  • Bailey rectifications carried out to front locker area
  • New GRP fitted to front locker area
  • Dried out affected floor areas throughout vehicle
  • New caps fitted where missing

Now should I be worried, why did the floor need drying out, we had no records of damp, I'm not entirely sure what 'New GRP' & 'Front Decals' are?

So should I be pleased that problems I was unaware of have been fixed or concerned that damp was picked up during the services?

• 1 month later...

I think you need to do your own damp test, not just rely on a service man.

An investment in a Protimeter Mini is costly but worth while considering the cost of the caravan, and the heartache damp can cause, not to mention loss of use.

http://www. amazon. co. uk/Protimeter-Mini-General-Purpose-Moisture/dp/B00BU3U0XI

Possibly cheaper elsewhere.