E E Data Sims - Half The Price But Half The Speed?

EE's 6gb 90 day card looks great value at £15 compared to THree's 3gb card (£20). But my wife has just given up on using the computer with the EE card in the mifi, because it's so slow.

So I have put another THree sim in and instantly we have at least twice the speed - more like three times I would say.

Of course it may just be my location but I have seen other posts complaining that EE are throttling their 3G offering.

The good news is that even a cheap £14 ebay arieal seems to be managing to hold the 3G signal permanently whereas the Huawei on its own was dipping in and out of 3G.

Mike

mike5100, on 30 Aug 2014 - 3:53 PM, said:

EE's 6gb 90 day card looks great value at £15 compared to THree's 3gb card (£20). But my wife has just given up on using the computer with the EE card in the mifi, because it's so slow.

So I have put another THree sim in and instantly we have at least twice the speed - more like three times I would say.

Of course it may just be my location but I have seen other posts complaining that EE are throttling their 3G offering.

The good news is that even a cheap £14 ebay arieal seems to be managing to hold the 3G signal permanently whereas the Huawei on its own was dipping in and out of 3G.

Mike

To be honest I think this is very much a location thing. We have a narrowboat and have a Three SIM in a dongle connected to a TS9 Aerial. Very often the speed will be just great and as you describe and yet we can move the boat a few miles and it is hopeless. Where we moor our boat it can be painfully slow sometimes. On balance though Three seems better in more locations than the others.

Often boaters have Sims from different providers and use them in an unlocked dongle or Mi-Fi and switch them about depending on which provider is playing ball at the location they are currently moored at.

Martin. ..........

Mike

Have you got a link for the aerial Mike as I'm confused by the choice out there.

2019 Adria Adora Thames

Have you got a link for the aerial Mike as I'm confused by the choice out there.

I may have to withdraw the recommendation of this particular 3g aerial. It was dropping in and out between 3G and 2G when I when I left the van. I didn't really expect it to work because the frequencies covered as stated on the box, do not include 2100 which is what Three use for their 3G stuff. I am waiting for a reply from the seller, but I can't help wondering whether at the pricespaid (£1. 89 for an aeriel delivered from China including delivery) that if I cut open the plastic aeriel, there would be nothing in it.

Mike

In west cornwall the orange 3G signal and speed have been next to useless for about 2 months, in areas indicating good reception both my mobile and mifi are sometimes painfully slow, in 3 different regular locations the 3 sims have always outperformed the orange in terms of speed.

I put it down to either an excess of users due to the tourist season or there is just an issue with orange in our area, I bought 6 of the orange cards cheap from argos so I'm plodding through them but when they run out I'll probably go back to 3. Be interesting to see if things speed up in September when there's a lot less people down here

It's difficult to find easily understood information about what frequencies are being used for 3G by the different providers, and where the nearest mast may be (so that one could use a directional aerial perhaps).

Where I am, It shows a reasonably local THree mast transmitting in the 2100 range, but no EE 3G mast anywhere. And yet the mifi picks up EE 3G quite easily.

Another website suggests that the operators are re-using their allocated 2G frequencies to provide 3G coverage and there is indeed a mast up our valley showing EE transmitting (voice) in the 2G range.

It does make me wonder whether EE could ever provide a fast enough service on 3G if this is what they are doing (sharing 3G with 2G transmissions)

Mike

The 3 Sim is not picking up a signal here on the CC Trewethett Farm site between Tintagel & Boscastle. Haven't tried it at the top of the site as using site Wifi, but users be aware!

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

As I've posted here before, when we go away, across different devices we have a choice of Three, O2, and Vodafone (plus EE if we are with our friends in an adjacent van). The most reliable is Three but at different locations they have each had their moment of stardom.

I'm getting a bit fed up with the EE service over the last few months - data outages while abroad and in UK as recently as this week, impossible to get to actually speak to someone etc.

I bought a basic MiFi from Currys last week with a rolling monthly contract for 10gb of data per month for £16 on Three, to see what it is like compared to my EE Data sim and so far have found it to offer much faster speeds in every location I've compared them.

I've been with EE (t_mobile) for over 10 years now but looks like I'll be switching to Three when my latest contract ends in the new year.

We have a '3' mifi and have only ever failed once to get a signal in 2 years and that was 2 weeks ago at Crossways CC site.

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

It's difficult to find easily understood information about what frequencies are being used for 3G by the different providers, and where the nearest mast may be (so that one could use a directional aerial perhaps).

Where I am, It shows a reasonably local THree mast transmitting in the 2100 range, but no EE 3G mast anywhere. And yet the mifi picks up EE 3G quite easily.

Another website suggests that the operators are re-using their allocated 2G frequencies to provide 3G coverage and there is indeed a mast up our valley showing EE transmitting (voice) in the 2G range.

It does make me wonder whether EE could ever provide a fast enough service on 3G if this is what they are doing (sharing 3G with 2G transmissions)

Mike

3G is common throughout the UK (and probably most of Europe) and uses a band centred on 2150MHz with 3 and O2 operating below centre, T-Mob/Orange (EE) above centre, and VF spread across the middle.

EE managed to get OfCom to allow them to use part of their 1800MHz band for 4G by sacrificing some of their 2G channels and thus steal a lead on O2/VF who were not due on line until nearly a year later in the 800MHz band. I have heard tell that to get going on 4G whilst the infrastructure is rolled out both O2 and VF have also sacrificed some of their 900MHz 2G channels for use by 4G, but eventually it is intended that all 4G will be in the 800MHz band. Note that at present 4G is data only and the phone has to fall back to 3G or 2G for a speech call.

3 had issues with lack of coverage in their earlier days so did a deal originally with O2 and later moved to Orange (if my memory is correct) for 2G fallback. Subsequently Orange sold two blocks of their 1800MHz band to 3 in 2012 so that 3 could have its own 2G frequencies. Not surprising since 3 and Orange were both built and owned by Hutchison Whampoa of Singapore who later sold Orange to France Telecom.

It should also be noted that 3G will work on significantly weaker signals than 2G, so it is quite possible that a Mifi on 3 will work where EE will not or will keep dropping out. Also bear in mind that 3 was built as a data system that could also handle speech whereas 2g was the other way around - there was no such thing as data (let alone text) in those days!

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville