Advice Needed About Water System

Insideyourkit

Hi, I hope I have posted on the right forum! I would like some advice regarding water filters and pipes. We haven't used our caravan for almost three months and this is the first year that it hasn't been used over summer.(we were planning to but did the decorating instead!) Here are my questions. I hope some-one can help.

1; I am wondering if we should take out the inline waterfilter and leave it out until we use the caravan again and put it back in after sterilization. We may not get to use the caravan for another month or so. Today I took out the filter and let the water drain out into the sink, but am now wondering should I put it back or replace it (it was new at Easter) could the water be harbouring anything like legionnaires? If the filter dries out can it be used again anyway? Usually we are able to use the van about every month or so, so haven't had to think about this and just get rid of the filter in winter and replace in spring.

2; Should the taps be left open? I know it is recommended over winter but again I am now thinking of any 'old' water that is likely to be I the system and how bad is it! Also the shower head?

3; Would it be a good idea anyway to sterilize the system before every trip if they are more than a month apart or is once a year o. k?

If I am in the wrong place for these questions please advise where best and thanks for anyone who can help!

I wouldn't replace the filter at all - put a short piece of pipe in where the filter used to fit. There is no need for a filter in the UK. The water is clean enough as it is as it's already been chlorinated. Filters just harbour bacteria. If you desperately want filtered water to drink then get a Brita filter jug as there's no benefit in washing yourself or your dishes in filtered water.

There's usually no need to sterilise the water system - you don't do it at home when you get back from your holidays. Just run some water through the pipes to get rid of anything that's been lying in them for a few weeks. I always empty my water system after we've been away by opening the drain valve and setting all the taps to open. I reckon it gets enough of a flush when I refill it when we get onto site.

If you lay the van up for six months or so over the winter then it's probably worth while flushing the system through with PuriClean or something similar when you start using it again but I don't bother and none of us has ever had any problems - even after 20 years or more with a boat or caravan I'm quite happy to fill a glass from the tap and drink it.

If you read the news you'll see that the reason there are more people with allergie is because they don't actually get enough bacteria to help them develop immunities - that's not to say that you shouldn't be careful but don't get paranoid about it it

Edited by matelodave

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

We are all different. I have removed my filter and won't replace it.

I have never sterilised the caravan pipes nor aquaroll nor my houses pipes either!

We drink the water from the aquaroll. We do rinse the aquaroll.

I do realise that with regard to sterilisation, that I am in a minority here on CT.

Similarly when we go away for 2 weeks holiday from home, I do not worry about the pipes or tanks in the house. If I die from bad water, I promise I'll post here first.

P. S. I will move this to the water section so others can have say :)

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Deja Vu. .... covered numerous times. I'm in the same camp as the last three posters. No filter. I always drain down the system (no point in dragging 10-12kg of water payload around that could be used for something else) even between sites on a holiday.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

Another one here with no filter. Always drain the system, taps open and open the drain valve on the way home. I leave about a pint of water in the aquaroll and drop a Milton tablet in. A quick rinse the next time we use it. I also drink the water straight from the tap/aquaroll and I haven't died yet.

Mike.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

My husband thinks I'm a fusspot re cleanliness, but I'm really not. In spring we run a barrel full of Puriclean through the system and that is that. New filter also. We also have two large bottles that we use when we've drained the water the night before leaving pitch and I drop a Milton tablet into them (one for both of them). I find there are more germs/smells from the waste outlets, so these get a filling of soda crystals at the end of the season.

I wouldn't think twice about using the water from our system, and am fully in agreement with Melodave re being too fussy.

Meg

I drain the system down before moving off the pitch, have removed the filter and don't ever sterilise the pipework.

If the Waterhog smells before the first trip out of the season then it gets a quick rinse with a couple of Milton tablets in and that is it.

Has the revolution finally begun?

Thank you for that! I will open the taps today and not worry too much (or try!) The only reason we are using the inline filter is because before we had one in we got earwigs in our water system. Gross. There was earwig pieces in the airater(?) that is in the tap and also a larger piece of earwig came out. It was a one off thing but freaked me out a bit! I don't like those creatures at the best of times!

I think my hubby would be happy about not using the inline as it is just something else to have to think about and buy.

I really am a bit of an anxiety head but there seems to be enough people sterilizing once and not getting leagionarries or anything so my worries can be toned down a notch! Again something else hubby will be pleased about!

Thanks again!

Thank you for that! I will open the taps today and not worry too much (or try!) The only reason we are using the inline filter is because before we had one in we got earwigs in our water system. Gross. There was earwig pieces in the airater(?) that is in the tap and also a larger piece of earwig came out. It was a one off thing but freaked me out a bit! I don't like those creatures at the best of times!

I think my hubby would be happy about not using the inline as it is just something else to have to think about and buy.

I really am a bit of an anxiety head but there seems to be enough people sterilizing once and not getting leagionarries or anything so my worries can be toned down a notch! Again something else hubby will be pleased about!

Thanks again!

Don't know what system you have but we use the whale wf3000 filters that go on the suction pipe that drops in the aquaroll, that keeps any earwig debris at bay! Improves the taste of some of the heavily treated water depending on which area you're in as well