Route From Calais To Chaps Romaine (Near Angouleme)

A week next Friday we will be heading off on our Annual Jaunt to La Belle France. We plan to stay at a Chateau le Verdoyer, a site near Champs Romain, a small village in the hills near to Angouleme. We have not been to that region before.

Firstly, Which route would you suggest? Via Paris and the dreaded ring road, or via Rouen and the dreaded road works!

Also, we will not be doing the whole route in one day so we will need a stopover. Any suggestions?

When we head back, we plan to stop for the night close to Calais as we have a morning shuttle booked. Again, I am open to suggestions.

Tony

Edited by TonyK

Autotrail Tracker FB motorhome on Fiat Ducato chassis

A week next Friday we will be heading off on our Annual Jaunt to La Belle France. We plan to stay at a Chateau le Verdoyer, a site near Champs Romain, a small village in the hills near to Angouleme. We have not been to that region before.

Firstly, Which route would you suggest? Via Paris and the dreaded ring road, or via Rouen and the dreaded road works!

Also, we will not be doing the whole route in one day so we will need a stopover. Any suggestions?

When we head back, we plan to stop for the night close to Calais as we have a morning shuttle booked. Again, I am open to suggestions.

Tony

Driving around Paris is not as bad as some people make out. It's a while since we did it towing but we have done it a few times lately solo and the traffic volumes still don't seem that much greater than a few years ago.

Main thing is to know where you are going and where you want to be lane wise. A good Sat Nav is essential for this. When I say good I also mean have your route preferences set correctly so that it doesn't try to take you through central Paris (Don't ask me how I know this!).

Keep you eyes and wits about you and watch out for motorcyclists with a death wish who will often overtake and undertake at utterly stupid speeds. Unless there is some sort of a jam the traffic moves relatively swiftly but not so quickly that you cant keep up with the flow when towing.

The other thing is the tunnels of which there are many - these can confuse your sat nav when you lose GPS reception so it pays to observe the direction signs and not just assume the Sat Nav knows exactly where you are, some direction changes come shortly after you exit a tunnel and by the time the Sat Nav has caught up you have missed your exit.

I'm making it sound worse than it is but to be honest it's no worse than driving on many busy urban roads in the UK.

Martin. ..........

It depends whether you are allergic to toll booths or not! The autoroutes -either via Paris or via Le Mans will cost you about 85 euros each way, single journey. The worst of the bridge repairs at Rouen are surely over now, but the city can be avoided anyway by using the next big bridge down river, the Pont de Brotonne.

Stopover going south is difficult to predict because I don't know what time you will leave Calais on day one, but we would just start looking at Caravan Europe guide at lunch time on that day.

Final night coming home we would use a cheap municipal site on the edge of Boulogne and spend the rest of our money on dinner in the old walled city at the top of the town. I'm inclined to avoid Calais town these days because of the number of would be migrants wandering about.

Edited by moorgate

From N Yorks I would take 2 nights on route. Or take the longer crossing and spend a night on board, miss out Paris and drive down the western coast.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

This might help with saving on tolls http://about-france. com/tourism/no-tolls-routes. htm

Use the michelin. co. uk website to check driving times with a caravan, and it's also accurate for tolls.

Stayed at this nice site on the way to Spain in 2012 - you can pre-order bread/croissants for the next morning from reception. Worth a stroll down to the little river - we saw a family of otters playing on the banks in the evening when we were there.

http://www. campingcard. co. uk/gb/en/europe/france/centre/eure-et-loir/campsite-du-bois-de-chievre-100276/?iReviewLanguage=2

La Bien Assise near Calais is also a pleasant site but only open to 27th September.

http://www. campingcard. co. uk/gb/en/europe/france/nord-pas-de-calais/strait-of-dover/campsite-la-bien-assise-100234/?campName=La+Bien+Assise

Land Rover is now back towing.

From N Yorks I would take 2 nights on route. Or take the longer crossing and spend a night on board, miss out Paris and drive down the western coast.

Yep,may cost a little more but an easier journey imo

I would save your money on tolls, and go via Rouen - toll-free or easy toll alternatives all the way. Calais/Abbeville/Rouen/Evreux/Dreux/Chartres/Orleans/Vierzon/Limoges then the N21 to Chalus, and then the D68 (ie not via Angouleme) and I'd also do the Calais route. We have friends with a house in La Chalard, which is near to Verdoyer, and that's the route we use to get to his house - it's a very pleasant route, with the exception of the 'wheat fields' between Dreux and Orleans which is straight and boring.

It will cost probably £100 or just over using Dover/Calais, with caravan and you could stay overnight at any number of municipal sites, Pont de l'Arche being near Rouen, Le Pre Eglise at St Remy sur Avre north of Dreux, Chartes itself, and then one of the small towns and villages down the non-toll option to the autoroute, all of which have good sites for overnights. We store our caravan near(ish) and do it with just one overnight stop. An early start from North/West Yorkshire, a late morning ferry (we had an amazing journey last Sunday and it took us just 4 hours and ten minutes to Dover with no hold-ups), and an overnight around Chartres/Orleans and you'll be there mid-afternoon on the next day.

We gave up on the Portsmouth (western) crossings years ago when two years running we had horrendous journeys down to Portsmouth. On the last occasion we came up against a nasty jobsworth who wasn't going to let us on our sailing, even though it was still loading. She told us 'You'll have to wait forty-eight hours for another crossing in your (caravans go free) price band'. We had children with us at the time, and the three of them burst into tears, so did I!! Needless to say they've not had our business since - though fortunately another, more sympathetic check-in clerk took over and allowed us on the boat. !

Edited by ValA

We gave up on the Portsmouth (western) crossings years ago when two years running we had horrendous journeys down to Portsmouth. On the last occasion we came up against a nasty jobsworth who wasn't going to let us on our sailing, even though it was still loading. She told us 'You'll have to wait forty-eight hours for another crossing in your (caravans go free) price band'. We had children with us at the time, and the three of them burst into tears, so did I!! Needless to say they've not had our business since - though fortunately another, more sympathetic check-in clerk took over and allowed us on the boat. !

Shame, it's not an experience we've had - presumably with Brit Ferries? Always break our journey south to leave us about an hour or so short of Portsmouth as the A34/M3 can be awful at times. This year coming back from Caen I absent-mindedly drove past the control booths through the HGV channel and then realised what I'd done! They were fine about it, even though I parked the outfit in the wrong line while I walked back to the booth to apologise and book in properly!

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

I would largely agree with ValA but travel cross country to St Omer then to Abbeville so avoiding the stretch of chargeable autoroute south of Boulogne. . A useful stop first night is Camping St Nicolas (municipal) at Le Bec-Hellouin about 20 miles SW of Rouen. Thereafter Le Mans and make your way down - you should be able to make Angouleme in a day from Le Bec even without using the autoroutes.

Coming back stay at Le Manoir de Senleques just east of Conteville les Boulogne. €12 per night all in with electricity and limited coverage wi-fi. There is an Auchan retail park only 10 mins or so away for last minute shopping and the autoroute is just beyond it.

We too travel from N Yorks and stop over both out and return at a CL at Lenacre Court Farm at Whitfield just off the A2 north of Dover. Big Tesco little more than 5 mins drive. We take an early crossing out and an afternoon crossing coming back using DFDS Dover-Dunkerque.

Rouen is open again I see elsewhere in the forum.

If you use www. viamichelin. com you can specify that you are towing and that you do or do not want to use autoroutes (I think they call then highways or express roads or something like) and any 'via' places that you want to see.

Edited by Woodentop

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

Shame, it's not an experience we've had - presumably with Brit Ferries? Always break our journey south to leave us about an hour or so short of Portsmouth as the A34/M3 can be awful at times. This year coming back from Caen I absent-mindedly drove past the control booths through the HGV channel and then realised what I'd done! They were fine about it, even though I parked the outfit in the wrong line while I walked back to the booth to apologise and book in properly!

Nor us. We have always found Brit ferry staff spot on.

However I don't think everybody realises that at a port where ferries from different companies depart, some times different staff check you in.

It can be a bit confusing sometimes when some body from P&O checks you in to your sailing with Brit. Ferries.

Martin. ..........

19/20/21 Sep is the Circuit des Remparts (old car motor races) at Angouleme, when it will be busy. We'll be there. ..

Tim

We set off from home four hours earlier than necessary the first time we went to Portsmouth and still it was touch an go that we would arrive on time so the second time we allowed an extra hour!

The second time a combination of broken down vehicles, a serious accident, motorway closures, and racing at a circuit on the way, and we realised about half way that we were pushing it for our ferry. That made a stressful second half of the journey, and the last straw was the 'jobsworth'. These days we use Dover - where if you miss a ferry there's always one along in an hour - or if you arrive a couple of hours earlier, like we did on Sunday, you're put on the next ferry without problems. This time we set off from home at 6. 00 am - and arrived in Dover at 10. 10 am after a fantastic journey. We were put on the next crossing, and were driving in France before we should have been loading on our booked ferry!

Quote: I would largely agree with ValA but travel cross country to St Omer then to Abbeville so avoiding the stretch of chargeable autoroute south of Boulogne. - as do we but we use the first free stretch of motorway to Boulogne, and then the N road which parallels it, until we get to Abbeville.

We set off from home four hours earlier than necessary the first time we went to Portsmouth and still it was touch an go that we would arrive on time so the second time we allowed an extra hour!

It can happen in this country with any route to anywhere! The M25 and the Dartford Crossings, in particular, can prove problematical - indeed the last two times we went via Dover and the Chunnel we were badly delayed in both directions, but as Val says, you have later crossings at your disposal. Funny how these delays never seem to happen on the other side of the Channel. ........!!!

It can happen in this country with any route to anywhere! The M25 and the Dartford Crossings, in particular, can prove problematical - indeed the last two times we went via Dover and the Chunnel we were badly delayed in both directions, but as Val says, you have later crossings at your disposal. Funny how these delays never seem to happen on the other side of the Channel. ........!!!

Quite - We have been stuck in some right old jams there while heading for the tunnel.

Edited by The Dog House

Martin. ..........

The Dartford crossing is all going to be 'pay in advance or within 24 hours' from October. We had absolutely no problems there last Sunday - not a car in front of us, and not one hold up from home to Dover! Amazing.

I wonder if my Mersey Tunnel tag account can be used to pay????!!!! Betcha it can't, nothing quite like joined-up traffic management policy, eh?

MalH, on 01 Sept 2014 - 09:43 AM, said:

I wonder if my Mersey Tunnel tag account can be used to pay????!!!! Betcha it can't, nothing quite like joined-up traffic management policy, eh?

That's the thing though, nobody will be using Tags after the new scheme starts you basically will have your number plate 'snapped' by an ANPR camera and the system will check to see if you have paid in advance and if you haven't already paid give you until midnight the following day for you to do so. ......if you don't pay you will be issued with a fine.

Funny you should mention joined up traffic management though, we use a Telepeage 'tag' to travel the French Autoroutes and apparently there are plans afoot to make the same tags and therefore the same account usable for the M6 Toll in this country.

https://www. saneftolling. co. uk/

Martin. ..........

That's the thing though, nobody will be using Tags after the new scheme starts you basically will have your number plate 'snapped' by an ANPR camera and the system will check to see if you have paid in advance and if you haven't already paid give you until midnight the following day for you to do so. ......if you don't pay you will be issued with a fine.

That's the system for the M50 Dublin 'ring' (not quite!) road and the Northern Gateway Bridge in Auckland NZ. I've got moribund accounts for both and keep getting e-mail info flyers from them! The difference is that they work on a debit system, i. e. you register a credit or debit card and funds are deducted rather than having to keep a balance.

I would save your money on tolls, and go via Rouen - toll-free or easy toll alternatives all the way. Calais/Abbeville/Rouen/Evreux/Dreux/Chartres/Orleans/Vierzon/Limoges then the N21 to Chalus, and then the D68 (ie not via Angouleme) and I'd also do the Calais route. We have friends with a house in La Chalard, which is near to Verdoyer, and that's the route we use to get to his house - it's a very pleasant route, with the exception of the 'wheat fields' between Dreux and Orleans which is straight and boring.

It will cost probably £100 or just over using Dover/Calais, with caravan and you could stay overnight at any number of municipal sites, Pont de l'Arche being near Rouen, Le Pre Eglise at St Remy sur Avre north of Dreux, Chartes itself, and then one of the small towns and villages down the non-toll option to the autoroute, all of which have good sites for overnights. We store our caravan near(ish) and do it with just one overnight stop. An early start from North/West Yorkshire, a late morning ferry (we had an amazing journey last Sunday and it took us just 4 hours and ten minutes to Dover with no hold-ups), and an overnight around Chartres/Orleans and you'll be there mid-afternoon on the next day.

Val, I like this route. I have travelled this way before but many years ago when heading to the Dordogne. We stayed at a nice Municipal site at Vatan just South of Vierzon. super site and Via Michelin shows it about 345 miles from Calais. so it would be just doable in a day. That would only leave about 140 miles for the second day travelling in France.

We have booked overnight Thursday at The Black Horse CC site near Folkestone to catch the 10. 20 Train out. I reckon that we will be up earlier though so we may get an earlier train.

Thanks to that chap who mentioned the vintage car do in Angouleme. may take a day down there.

Tony

Autotrail Tracker FB motorhome on Fiat Ducato chassis

The second time a combination of broken down vehicles, a serious accident, motorway closures, and racing at a circuit on the way, and we realised about half way that we were pushing it for our ferry. That made a stressful second half of the journey, and the last straw was the 'jobsworth'. These days we use Dover - where if you miss a ferry there's always one along in an hour - or if you arrive a couple of hours earlier, like we did on Sunday, you're put on the next ferry without problems. This time we set off from home at 6. 00 am - and arrived in Dover at 10. 10 am after a fantastic journey. We were put on the next crossing, and were driving in France before we should have been loading on our booked ferry!

Quote: I would largely agree with ValA but travel cross country to St Omer then to Abbeville so avoiding the stretch of chargeable autoroute south of Boulogne. - as do we but we use the first free stretch of motorway to Boulogne, and then the N road which parallels it, until we get to Abbeville.

Actually it is no longer ®N any more - mainly D901. We usually use that route but coming back in June we went the St Omer way and found it much easier, less hills and junctions and above all less traffic. It also helps that there is a superb chippy in the market square in St Omer (though not best accessed with a van in tow!)

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville