Deanline Rambler?

Mooma

Hello,

This is my first post, so hope I'm posting in the right place - apologies and :blush: if I'm not.

We are currently on the look out for an older caravan with a bit of character/charm, partly for my OH to have something else to tinker with now we've sold the last in a long line of VW campers we've had over the years and partly because we're keen to get out and about more often and take the children to all the parts of the UK and Ireland we haven't made it to as yet.

We've been having a bit of a nightmare with vans being snapped up within an hour or two of being advertised and sellers really messing us about. (eg One seller having sold the van but keeping us holding on for over a week until they collected it by telling us he was on holiday himself, just in case they didn't turn up to collect it. :angry:) We seem to live in a bit of an older caravan desert, so always have to travel to view and by the time we've arranged that we tend to find they're already sold. :(

We have now come across a caravan for sale that we like, but it's a 6 berth Deanline Rambler (double at the front and 2 sets of rear bunks) and we can't find anything online about its gross towing weight (apologies I have read all the technical terms but am hopeless at remembering them). We were told it's 800kg, but I'm thinking that sounds light for an older van with 6 berths. From what I've managed to work out it's around a 1980 model and has single glazed plastic windows, so I suppose that would make it lighter than glass windowed models, but 800 kg still seems a bit light. I'm wondering if 800 is the ex works weight and it's more like 1300 kg max weight.

Apparently it does still have it's plate and the seller said they saw 800 on it, but wasn't able to tell us more as it's in storage so they couldn't just go and check while we were on the phone. We are due to go and view it, but it's a long journey and we would hate to waste the seller's - and our - time by getting there and finding 800 is the lower weight and it's a no good for us before even looking at the van itself.

Our car has a kerb weight of 1300 kg (Diesel Xsara Picasso) so we need to keep the weight down, but have 3 children so ideally would like a 5 berth, although are looking at some 4 berths as decent 5 berths seem harder to come by.

If anyone has any knowledge/experience of these vans and can offer us some advice, I would be really grateful.

Many thanks :)

Using the 85% guide, the MTPLM of the van is to be max 1100kgs. That isn't much but older vans are lighter. Modern vans are double glazed but it is plastic not glass.

And :welcome: it seems the vans were called A Line designed by Harry Dean (?) but went out of business about 81 or 82. Then became DeanLine who lasted till about 85. So the van could be about 30 yrs old which, for a van, is pretty old.

Now you'll hear from those happy people of CT who swear by the older vans :)

I can find nothing about their weight online so you are right to be wary with your lightish car.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Using the 85% guide, the MTPLM of the van is to be max 1100kgs. That isn't much but older vans are lighter. Modern vans are double glazed but it is plastic not glass.

And :welcome: it seems the vans were called A Line designed by Harry Dean (?) but went out of business about 81 or 82. Then became DeanLine who lasted till about 85. So the van could be about 30 yrs old which, for a van, is pretty old.

Now you'll hear from those happy people of CT who swear by the older vans :)

I can find nothing about their weight online so you are right to be wary with your lightish car.

Thank you for replying.

We actually do want an older van. Not scared of a dealing with a certain amount of damp and aware we will have a fair amount to do on any van of that age, but that's half the fun for us. We've restored and repaired several VW campers over the past 25 years, so are used to being very hands on with repairs and maintenance.

We did go and see it and it was indeed Max 800kg, so well within our towing limits, going by the 85% rule/guide. Unfortunately it was so damp that it had pools of water sitting in it and water had been getting in through several broken windows, as well as more subtle ingress through the roof and awning rail. Suprisingly the lower corners were all dry, but the amount of damp elsewhere was more than we want to get into at this stage, especially as being an uncommon make we weren't confident we'd be able to get replacements for things like windows without lots of legwork. Disappointing, but I'm sure the right van in out there somewhere for us and we will keep looking.

Thanks again for replying - and for the welcome. :)

• 6 months later...

I don't know if you still need anymore info on this ? but I have a Deanline Rambler caravan so can check the info but I am getting rid of it soon as I'm moving house and no where to keep it. While I still haveit I can check for you.