Hello Everyone, Looking To Purchase A Caravan

jessnat995

Hello everyone,

just starting up with the caravan lifestyle, No doubt ill have loads of questions which you guys have heard before, to which i send apologies, :D

I would be very gratefully for any information regarding to buying our first caravan, Budget of around £3,000.

We drive a BMW which has a weight of 1580KG

there is myself, wife and little one, i have looked a few but unsure of the size, we would prefer a larger one, as we will have family stay over when we go away.

Well i will no doubt speak to some of you in the future

Jess

Welcome to the forum, being newish to the hobby we have found it invaluable, no doubt you will too.

When we looked for our first van we went for a five berth as it gave us a better kids area at the back rather than the four berth where the kids sleep at the diner in the middle, it gives them space to play and separates them off better once they've gone to bed and you want to watch tv or have a drink etc.

Good luck!

Welcome to the forum, being newish to the hobby we have found it invaluable, no doubt you will too.

When we looked for our first van we went for a five berth as it gave us a better kids area at the back rather than the four berth where the kids sleep at the diner in the middle, it gives them space to play and separates them off better once they've gone to bed and you want to watch tv or have a drink etc.

Good luck!

Would you say 5 berth is a good size? ive been looking at 5-6 berth, bigger to tow but im not too fussed about towing,

its just finding a good one etc for £3,000

:welcome:

We may have heard your questions before but to you they are important. So do find the best section and ask away - you won't be short of advice here.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Hi Jess and welcome,

The first thing you need to do is to find out the towing capacity of your car. It should be in its handbook, or you can contact BMW and ask them. Once you have this, you know that you can tow a caravan up to that weight and you can carry on from there.

Let us know when you've get the details.

Mike.

PS. If you go to uktow. com and enter your car, it gives you a list of the caravans that it can tow. A quick look for BMW 318 D 2008 kerbweight 1580kg seems to give a towing limit of 1800kg and an 85% figure of 1342kg.

M

Edited by Townie

Hi Jess and welcome,

The first thing you need to do is to find out the towing capacity of your car. It should be in its handbook, or you can contact BMW and ask them. Once you have this, you know that you can tow a caravan up to that weight and you can carry on from there.

Let us know when you've get the details.

Mike.

PS. If you go to uktow. com and enter your car, it gives you a list of the caravans that it can tow. A quick look for BMW 318 D 2008 kerbweight 1580kg seems to give a towing limit of 1800kg and an 85% figure of 1342kg.

M

Hi,

thanks for thew reply.

So i take it the max it can tow is 1. 3 ton?

will this be get me a 5 berth?

J

Hi and Welcome I started recently my self with your budged you should pick something nice from private seller, after viewing my self few make sure you look at the layout, work out what works for you and your family, all caravans will have double bed at front, then some have bunk bed on side or double at rear with bunk on top, my daughter wasn't happy to sleep on tiny bed on side so we had to go for double bed at rear is well, this put the toilet shower room in middle so you don't get waken up when other party want to use the toilet, check for damp in all corners, spongy floor has de-lamination check for that, if you walk form front to rear or vice versa feel if the floor changing in level this would mean that had de-lamination but has been sorted, if you buying from private as the seller to get the van hooked up to water and electrics to make sure it works don't take the word for it as faulty taps can be expensive, well that what I learned in short period of time and I hope that helps.

The 85% rule is a guideline for inexperienced towers. It is just a guideline. Legally, the maximum you can tow is the braked trailer maximum quoted by the car manufacturer. This should be shown in your handbook and also on the V5 document (logbook) for your car. It is quoted as the maximum permitted towing mass of the BRAKED trailer, (unbraked is usually 750kg). Check your V5 document. That will show the maximum your car can legally tow. Get back to us and let us know what it says.

Mike.