Shock Absorbers, Any Benefit?

gravon42

Has anyone got any comments on the (dis) advantages of having shock absorbers

fitted? I assume they can be retro fitted, I have been pondering fitting some for

ages.

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Cannot possibly be any (dis) advantages to having shock absorbers. Easy to fit makes for better towing.

You can always tell when you are following one without because of the way they bounce around.

Go ahead and fit them. ...Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

Thank both! That's a yes then. ;)

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Simulars topics have been covered a few times in the last 4 months, if you search "alko shocks" you'll get a good few post on how to fit them as well.

In my opinion they make towing smoother, less pitch and buffeting by lorries, buses etc.

Knaus sudwind 500 TL C4 grand Picasso 2. 0 hdi 138 EGS Exclusive

Thank both! That's a yes then. ;)

Tick.jpg from me too :)

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

And Me

2020 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4  PHEV and 2016 Swift Conqueror 480 HT

Another yes, this is my first caravan fitted with dampers it defiantly has less bounce than my previous one.

They are a legal requirement in Germany if you want to tow at 100km/h. Without them one is limited to 80km/h, so they must be of benefit.

Yes!

(Carlight have had them since the 60's, and if they are good enough for them. ..)

Can car shocks be used??

Can car shocks be used??

Only if you can find any the same length and weight rating as the Al-Ko ones.

Al-Ko do three different weight ratings depending on the axle loading of your caravan.

Brian

Can Al-Ko ones be fitted to a BPW chassis?

Car shocks do not have the necessary clamping plates to be fitted.

Al-Ko shocks are for Al-Ko chassis.

BPW shocks are for BPW Chassis

Yes!

(Carlight have had them since the 60's, and if they are good enough for them. ..)

My first caravan had coil springs and dampers, it was the best tow I have ever had.

A 850kg Monza 1200s towed by a 90bhp mk1 cavalier.

Took me less than 20 mins to fit. Hardest part was removing the plastic bung on the stub axle.

Didn't even have to remove van wheels.

Towed van to Northumberland and back last week on a very windy A1. ... A vast improvement. Would recommend fitting.

Are people with them finding it helps with the amount the van bounces the car around as it pitches sometimes?

Yes, it also greatly increases the speed you can go around long sweeping bends and corners etc. as the van does not bounce and move across the road. Also passing over potholes and dipped drain covers does not cause the van to bounce and rebound so much.

Also appears to reduce the vibration inside the van and the amount the stuff inside moves around.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi