Batteries: Are They A Must....?

It is better to have a bettery rather than rely on the charger. You will be using the charger all the time but if you have a battery it will even out the 12 volt supply and give the charger a rest. They have been know to fail!

Also, if you have an alarm you will need a battery to charge it.

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

Some vans require a battery to be connected to maintain a smooth 12 volt supply, for the cost of an 85amp leisure battery I would fit one and then should you have mains electricity interruption you will still have lighting and water pump

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2020 Kia Sportage GT line S

At the very least it would be a good idea to fit a small and cheap car battery. They can be had very cheaply and will help the power unit do its job. Something 60ah or bigger should suffice. Make sure it's not duff though as this could potentially damage the power supply on board.

What do the instructions in your Abbey manual say? Do you have the manual?

Edited by dreadly

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

There are pros and cons,

Your mover won't work without a battery :D

Despite what the site electrical rating is for EHU, trips do get knocked out leaving you in the dark

You can go off piste with a battery, CL's and CS's offer an alternative to big impersonal sites.

Batteries have a weight penalty

Batteries need looking after properly

For Safety a battery should be properly vented

Edited by gumdrop

On many modern vans the Fridge will not run without 12 volt in the event of a power cut. Also some heating systems require 12 volt as will water pump to taps and maybe toilet flush and of course for lights.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Easy. ......Toilet flush is the most important. .to some!

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Plus, you could have a power cut on the site you are on. .. At least if you had a battery you would still have power. ..

Citroen ds4 2. 0 hdi 163bhp Lunar Venus 500 2012.

At the very least it would be a good idea to fit a small and cheap car battery. They can be had very cheaply and will help the power unit do its job. Something 60ah or bigger should suffice. Make sure it's not duff though as this could potentially damage the power supply on board.

What do the instructions in your Abbey manual say? Do you have the manual?

Hi yes I do have the manual so will look when I get home.

So how does it help the power unit do it's job? Is some power drawn from battery at same time as hook up? If so does this happen when the rocker switch is on "0" as when using EHU? Or do I need to have it on another setting?

Can't comment on your van. However one of our 24 hour loss of mains was in 30 degrees and glad the battery meant we had power for the fridge controls. Lighting was not such a problem in mid summer. Another was -14C at Christmas and glad we had battery for controlling and running heating on gas and for lighting as it gets dark early at Christmas. :D

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Hi yes I do have the manual so will look when I get home.

So how does it help the power unit do it's job? Is some power drawn from battery at same time as hook up? If so does this happen when the rocker switch is on "0" as when using EHU? Or do I need to have it on another setting?

The PSU units fitted to caravans are not all the same and some specify that they need the battery present in order to function correctly, otherwise you risk burning out the onboard 12v PSU unit. They are not just battery chargers, they allow all types of system within your caravan function from 12v such as toilet flush, fridge controls, water pump, lights etc. ..

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Only this week whilst on holiday in York, my mains electric failed. We had no mains power to the van and whatever we tried would not bring the power back on. Luckily we have a 100amp battery which still worked all the lights, toilet pump etc and more importantly the 12v tv for my wife to still watch her fave progs until we left.

Ssangyong Rexton 270 XDI Sport Pulling a 2014 Bailey Unicorn Madrid.

Read the manual for your caravan. ... http://www. swiftgroup. co. uk/caravans/handbooks click on the 'archive' buttons. With a 2003 Swift group there's probably no need to have one.

Others have pointed out the advantage of having a battery in the event of a mains failure on site. .. So I'd recommend you consider getting one.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

If you are on EHU all the time, buy a second hand battery from a local scrap yard. As said some PSU operate better with a battery in the system and again as mentioned if you encounter a EHU failure, you have 12v supply until it comes back on.

A battery will 'help' the caravan Power Supply Unit (which also recharges the battery) deliver a higher current than the PSU alone can manage. .. but at 20A (typical of many PSUs) you'll be running a lot of incandescent lamps and probably a TV on 12V to get to that (20A @ 12V = 240 Watts. ... ) Lights would dim and pumps run slower.

However I've just checked the Swift manual for 2003 era and it says on page 43 & 44 that the PSU fitted is rated to 12A max . .. and

BATTERY
It is recommended that a good quality leisure battery is always in circuit when the system is in use.
Edited by Rodders53

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

Hi my Abbey manual says:

The ESM2000 is a 40 amp RCD.

But it also says:

BATTERY

It is recommended that a good quality leisure battery is always in circuit when the system is in use.

How do you attach pictures on here?

How do you attach pictures on here?

Go to more reply options

John

Thanks, had to switch to "full version" on my iphone.

Anyway is this what the waterfill inlet for the Thetford toilet should look like?

It just looks like a hole, there's no funnel or anything!

Here's the photo:

post-69128-0-78727300-1409414425_thumb.jpg

Can't see the picture but if there is a flap over it and it is above the door on the toilet cassette, then yes!

Ah! Yes that definitely is the filler.

Edited by Jslocks

John

Thanks, had to switch to "full version" on my iphone.

Anyway is this what the waterfill inlet for the Thetford toilet should look like?

It just looks like a hole, there's no funnel or anything!Here's the photo:

Yes, that is the inlet for the toilet flush. Use a watering can or bucket to fill.

Brian

So you just pour water in the hole?!!

Yep!

It fills the tank and enables you to press the flush button and water will fill the toilet bowl.

John

Don't travel with it full it could flood your bathroom

We travel with it half full. No problem.

John