Malc Edge

Sat in the front room of my house last night with the lights on with caravan on the drive clearly visible from the window.

10. 15pm the alarm on the caravan goes off,I think hello must be a false alarm,I get out of my chair just in time to see a figure running away down the drive !!

What cheek,the sheer audacity of it,if the alarm had not gone off the would be thief would have stolen from us almost right in front of our eyes,unbelievable,very very lucky for him I could not get the door open quick enough for me to run after him and damage him. I was fired up come on my property and try to steal from me you must be joking !!

After calming down we phone the police who were very helpful and would send an officer around today to take some details.

The road we live in is not some run down estate full of idiots but a road with detached properties,so just because you live in a nice area do not think it can not happen to you.

I do not lock the caravan. ..........because in my opinion more damage is done by the thief breaking in,and they are probuably going to break in anyway and then the alam goes off so to save the bother of a damaged door I leave unlocked, as far as I am concerned that is what I will do in the future, door unlocked,alarm on.

When I bought the van I thought what a novelty the alarm was,not anymore.

If you leave you van unlocked I doubt that your insurance would pay out. What do you do when you leave the house?

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

It could be someone testing the water and will probably be back another time with some friends.

As for leaving the door unlocked, I can see your reasoning but I think that your insurance company will take a dim view of that and probably wont pay out if stolen, after all they don't need much excuse not to pay out.

I would look at beefing up your security, like putting up CCTV and other things to make it difficult for the low life to remove your beloved van.

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

Point taken,yes never thought about the insurance thing,although prevention is better and the alarm certainly put them off and as we always have a car on the drive thieves will still assume there is someone at home,it would take a brave and stupid thief to proceed to burgle when the alarm is on it is very loud inside the van

Caravan will go back to the compound next week.

We will be looking at security and get a light that works out side.

thanks malc

I would also like to add there is nothing left in the caravan of any worth for a thief to steal,so hopefully a quick look around,nothing here. not worth waiting around with that noise in my ear. :angry:

Personally I think the logic behind leaving the door unlocked is flawed.

As for security I have motion detection lights, which also activate a light and buzzer in the house, plus 24 hour recorded CCTV.

The caravan alarm, and also a link to the shed alarm.

But leaving the door unlocked is silly, too many people now ignore house alarms unless you have an arrangement with neighbours to monitor your home while away as we do.

It takes very little time for a couple of yobs to do serious damage to the interior just for the laugh.

And do you leave it open on a remote CL, I have had more than one occasion where our caravan is the only one on site, nobody is going to respond to an alarm in those circumstances.

Point taken,yes never thought about the insurance thing,although prevention is better and the alarm certainly put them off and as we always have a car on the drive thieves will still assume there is someone at home,it would take a brave and stupid thief to proceed to burgle when the alarm is on it is very loud inside the van

Caravan will go back to the compound next week.

We will be looking at security and get a light that works out side.

thanks malc

I would also like to add there is nothing left in the caravan of any worth for a thief to steal,so hopefully a quick look around,nothing here. not worth waiting around with that noise in my ear. :angry:

It only takes some builders foam to mute the siren, or they can simply locate it by the noise and rip it out in seconds. First job of cause would be to force the battery box and cut the lead, then the alarm only has the battery backup, if its still working.

It sounds more like opportunists looking for something of value inside, rather than the van itself.

If they were after the van they would have attacked your external security, rather than going inside.

Was there any evidence of damage to the locks outside?

Im glad you heard them anyway, probably frightened them off if they were kids.

Edited by burnsguitarman

2017 Swift Elegance 580  towed by 2015 Volvo XC70

It sounds more like opportunists looking for something of value inside, rather than the van itself.

If they were after the van they would have attacked your external security, rather than going inside.

It wasn't locked!!!!! B)

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

It wasn't locked!!!!! B)

I took it to mean the door was unlocked!!!

I would expect that the hitch and wheel locks were fitted. Or thats just asking for trouble! :rolleyes:

2017 Swift Elegance 580  towed by 2015 Volvo XC70

It wasn't locked!!!!! B)

I think he means wheel & hitch locks.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

How do you know that if it was locked that they wouldn't have just walked on by . Like kids trying car door handles

Lunar Ultima 540

Honda CRV 2. 2 Diesel

How do you know that if it was locked that they wouldn't have just walked on by . Like kids trying car door handles

Good point, even forgetting the insurance issues I think its totally daft to leave your door unlocked,

I recently purchased a couple Steinel LED flood lamps, they are an excellent bit of kit.

Too many people in this country wanting an easy living

from the word go. The UK has streets paved with gold

or a consolation prize of money for doing nothing :rolleyes:

Too many people in this country wanting an easy living

from the word go. The UK has streets paved with gold

or a consolation prize of money for doing nothing :rolleyes:

I cant believe we are at an all time high in population numbers, with the least numbers of police we've had for years.

If you leave you van unlocked I doubt that your insurance would pay out. What do you do when you leave the house?

That is correct and no payment in the event of fire, stolen etc. Probably find that the whole policy is invalidated as locking the caravan would be in one of the clauses.

Im glad you heard them anyway, probably frightened them off if they were kids.

There was no chance to steal the van as we have the alko wheel lock on and two cars in front of the caravan and it is a 2006 Bailey Indiana so not exactly a dream steal if you know what I mean. I think it was opportunist thieves. Looking into extra security now, the suggestion of a camera may be a good idea but i need to stay calm really as we have lived here for nineteen years and this is the first time we have ever had a situation like this. A security light ?? well that would provide extra light for the scum to see what they are doing ?? As I said the caravan goes back to the compound where we do lock the door and do not use the alarm as I doubt if anybody would hear it where the caravan is stored. I guess you can only do so much without becoming paranoid I will not be doing that. I have seen it as a bit of a wake up call and intend to be more security conscience and not leave any valuables in our cars etc.

Good point, even forgetting the insurance issues I think its totally daft to leave your door unlocked,

I recently purchased a couple Steinel LED flood lamps, they are an excellent bit of kit.

Possible true but who knows ? I know someone who had his caravan broken into and it was like mine nothing to steal however much damage done to the door and it surrounds so I suppose there is no right or wrong here in my opnion. Yes extra security lights ? just what the criminals like as then they can see what they are doing, nobody takes any notice at all if their security light goes off in the middle of the night as cats and other animals set them off so I think they are no deterant at all. Now if there is a system that notifies you in your house sound s a good idea but you may not get a good nights sleep if it keeps going out ?

I may have saved my caravan being damaged,which I personally believe I did so i do not think I am totally daft at all.

I do not know,I do not know how kids minds work,maybe they would have just walked by,maybe they would have had a screw driver and done damage i do not know, all I do know is that my caravan is undamaged so in this instance I can only assume I did the correct thing. I could lock it tonight and they could return and maybe i will have a damaged door,personally I do not think they will return nor do the police as criminals like soft targets and once bitten twice shy. In my opinion the problem here will be with an insurance company wriggleing out and they will do that anyway. Any idea where to buy razor wire ??

Possible true but who knows ? I know someone who had his caravan broken into and it was like mine nothing to steal however much damage done to the door and it surrounds so I suppose there is no right or wrong here in my opnion. Yes extra security lights ? just what the criminals like as then they can see what they are doing, nobody takes any notice at all if their security light goes off in the middle of the night as cats and other animals set them off so I think they are no deterant at all. Now if there is a system that notifies you in your house sound s a good idea but you may not get a good nights sleep if it keeps going out ?

I may have saved my caravan being damaged,which I personally believe I did so i do not think I am totally daft at all.

The lights are for us to see what's going on in the dark, the lights can also be wired to a motion bleep box. Very rarely do they pick up cats. These system are fully adaptable to your needs. So if your bleep box sounds at least your lights are on to see any action.

Any security is never a novelty.

I can see the logic of leaving the van unlocked

When we hired a car in Spain the hire company told us to leave a window wide open when we left the car so anyone looking to see what we had to steal did not have to break in

Needless to say, we did not leave anything of value inside

Did the figure you seen running down the drive have any visible tattoos?

Well funny you should mention that I thought he had a tatto of a caravan and the words iluvbaileys :rolleyes:

Well funny you should mention that I thought he had a tatto of a caravan and the words iluvbaileys :rolleyes:

Obviously not of a sound mind then Malc. ....:) . ..... oooh I can hear the keyboards rattling from Bailey owners already haha

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG