Caravan Club - Wasting My Time

Wilko_UK

Why is it that when I visit a CC site I have to spend an age trawling around the ***** site trying find a pitch?

When I book into reception they know which spaces are available that day so why can't they tell me?

It gets on my nerves having to drive around a 200+ pitch site at 5mph trying to find a parking space! I have better things to do with my time. :angry:

Go with the Camping Club . . then you will be told where to pitch, saving you all the bother

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

You'll get no argument from me over this either. This is a big bugbear of mine with the CC, after driving for a few hours, I just want to pitch up as soon as possible.

I would much prefer to be given a pitch number on booking, like a lot of commercial sites do. Then when you arrive, you go straight to your pitch.

However some prefer the way the CC allocate pitches, and they'll soon be here saying I prefer to pick my own pitch because I don't want to be placed under trees, next to the toilet block, by the kids playground, next to the neighbours from hell with the screaming kids and barking dogs. Just wait for it.

Go with the Camping Club . . then you will be told where to pitch, saving you all the bother

More often than not this is untrue, but they do know at reception what is available & a member of staff will discuss it with you & often take you to the pitch

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely

However some prefer the way the CC allocate pitches, and they'll soon be here saying I prefer to pick my own pitch because I don't want to be placed under trees, next to the toilet block, by the kids playground, next to the neighbours from hell with the screaming kids and barking dogs.

My choice exactly. ;)

More often than not this is untrue, but they do know at reception what is available & a member of staff will discuss it with you & often take you to the pitch

Not my experience . . perhaps they have changed since I was last a member . . about 2000

However some prefer the way the CC allocate pitches, and they'll soon be here saying I prefer to pick my own pitch because I don't want to be placed under trees, next to the toilet block, by the kids playground, next to the neighbours from hell with the screaming kids and barking dogs. Just wait for it.

If I am on holiday, I want to be somewhere I like . . what is wrong with that . .

Not that we go on Club Sites if we can help it . . CLs r us

Why is it that when I visit a CC site I have to spend an age trawling around the ***** site trying find a pitch?

When I book into reception they know which spaces are available that day so why can't they tell me?

It gets on my t*ts having to drive around a 200+ pitch site at 5mph trying to find a parking space! I have better things to do with my time. :angry:

Oh dear! Just goes to show how different we all are. I want a level pitch, not under a tree, (drip, drip), nice view, facing south, away from the kid's play area, not too near the toilet block and fairly close to the water supply. Any thing else is a bonus :D .

Gordon

Nissan Qashqai 1. 6 dCi (130 PS) + Avondale Rialto 390-2

Well I prefer to drive round and choose a pitch. If you don't care just pick the first one you come to

Oh dear! Just goes to show how different we all are. I want a level pitch, not under a tree, (drip, drip), nice view, facing south, away from the kid's play area, not too near the toilet block and fairly close to the water supply. Any thing else is a bonus :D .

Gordon

Yep. All different. I generally prefer to point North.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

As said Choice . i like a pitch clear of trees for my Sat reception .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Not my experience . . perhaps they have changed since I was last a member . . about 2000

If I am on holiday, I want to be somewhere I like . . what is wrong with that . .

Not that we go on Club Sites if we can help it . . CLs r us

Nothing wrong with that at all. The reality is though holidaying in peak season you are unlikely to get your chosen pitch, and what would you do if you arrive on site and there is only one pitch left, and it's exactly where you don't want to be?

Then it becomes 'Hobson's choice'

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

We opted for grass at the last CC site and watched as outfits arrived,

(many of them hours early) and started a nose to tail procession around

the site at an increasingly frenetic rate. Some realised they had just passed

"the best pitch" and attempted "cutting the circle" and ran afoul of normal

site traffic. Fantastically entertaining, with a side serving of very wound up

people trying to erect awnings while still rattled.

We were on a CC site 2 weeks ago. The warden explained it's best to go round and see whats best for us. Also that some people pick a pitch and dont go and tell the wardens straight away which one they have taken, often enough they wait til they wanting to go off site, before notifiying the wardens. ...

Sooner pick my own than be allocated. ...

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

Nothing wrong with that at all. The reality is though holidaying in peak season you are unlikely to get your chosen pitch, and what would you do if you arrive on site and there is only one pitch left, and it's exactly where you don't want to be?

The reality, for us, is that in peak holiday season you won't find us anywhere near a club site that is likely to be popular . .

We opted for grass at the last CC site and watched as outfits arrived,

(many of them hours early) and started a nose to tail procession around

the site at an increasingly frenetic rate. Some realised they had just passed

Exactly. Not the best start to anyone's holiday.

The reality, for us, is that in peak holiday season you won't find us anywhere near a club site that is likely to be popular . .

You are one of the lucky one's then.

It's one of the reasons we don't use CC sites that often. Unallocated pitches. .. I know it suits many but doesn't work in my favour a lot of the time.

I know it's not quite the same as what the OP is complaining about but I much prefer to reserve my pitch when I book, even if that means paying a deposit. We used to go away with some friends who have a disabled son, they ended up selling their van as it got too difficult for them as he got older. On a CC site we couldn't guarantee that we would be pitched close together so that we would be on hand to help them. We often go away now with my wife's parents and again prefer to be pitched close by them.

I was on CC site last summer and spoke to a chap who was driving endlessly around the site trying to find a pitch. He had arrived just before 8pm with a large twin axle, wife and 3 kids and clearly a bit stressed by the bank holiday traffic. There were only a few pitches left and none of them were really big enough for his outfit. He was pretty annoyed driving past lots of smaller 2 berth vans sat on huge pitches which they had selected earlier that afternoon. He had booked the site on the day that the booking system had opened and it was their main 2 week family holiday for the year, yet he was being penalised just because he couldn't join the 12:00 scrum. He ended up going onto a pitch for 3-4 days and then moving to a larger one.

I know there are many advantages for some people and the club should operate the way in which the bulk of it's members would prefer, the only point I am making is that it doesn't suit everyone. For me, booking a commercial site and knowing exactly where I am pitched irrespective of what time I get there is a far more relaxing way to start a holiday.

Mark.

Bailey Unicorn 3 Barcelona

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 7 seater

You are one of the lucky one's then.

Yes, we know, but there are always CLs, , unless you want all the site facilites . . all we want is a water supply and somewhere to empty the elsan and preferably with a good view over the surrounding countryside

Some realised they had just passed

You don't have to be German to experience schadenfreude, especially with a nice brew in a cosy caravan :) .

Nissan Qashqai 1. 6 dCi (130 PS) + Avondale Rialto 390-2

Well I never knew I'd create such a commotion in such a small space of time!

I have to say that the CC & C are much better at this game and far more welcoming too.

Well I never knew I'd create such a commotion in such a small space of time!

I have to say that the CC & C are much better at this game and far more welcoming too.

Nothing better than this type of topic to get everyone going.

Nothing better than this type of topic to get everyone going.

Indeed. .. light the touch paper! It will be at over 50 pages before the end of the night :)

Although the current system doesn't work for me I am more than happy for it to continue if that is what the bulk of it's members prefer. It just means that I won't use their sites as much as I otherwise would.

I am guessing that peoples perspective on this may differ depending on their circumstances. If (like me) you are working full time with a family and children at school, often have to arrive at a site after work, holiday at peak times with friends and family then the current system works against you :).

Mark.

Edited by Markt1891

Bailey Unicorn 3 Barcelona

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 7 seater

Indeed. .. light the touch paper! It will be at over 50 pages before the end of the night :)

Although the current system doesn't work for me I am more than happy for it to continue if that is what the bulk of it's members prefer. It just means that I won't use their sites as much as I otherwise would.

I am guessing that peoples perspective on this may differ depending on their circumstances. If (like me) you are working full time with a family and children at school, often have to arrive at a site after work, holiday at peak times with friends and family then the current system works against you :).

Mark.

I totally agree with you Mark, couldn't have put it better myself. My situation is exactly the same as yours, having to holiday during term time and more often than not, arriving late after work.

This is where the CC system fails.

I was wondering how long it would be before a response like this. It's taken a bit longer than I thought.