I Am Sure Most Of You Know This

Whenever we needed to book a campsite prior to leaving the uk we would send an e mail,now most of the time we got a reply but too many times we recieved nothing, so I found https://translate. google. com/ you spell in English and the translation is given in the language you want it to be. After using this we always recieved an answer, this also helped us ask questions about the site we wished to visit ie what time is the reception office open,is there a disco, could we have a quiet pitch ? Always recieved an answer. Yes of course you all knew this did'nt you ? malc :lol:

Not only is it very useful for written work but you can hear the correct pronunciation by clicking the sound button. Wish my French accent sounded like that :D .

Gordon

Nissan Qashqai 1. 6 dCi (130 PS) + Avondale Rialto 390-2

Oui, il est un établissement vraiment utile n'est-ce pas.

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

Not only is it very useful for written work but you can hear the correct pronunciation by clicking the sound button. Wish my French accent sounded like that :D .

Gordon

I have never noticed a sound button, where is it located.

I have never noticed a sound button, where is it located.

Right hand box where the translation appears, bottom right corner, a little loudspeaker thing. You have to type in something before it appears.

Gordon

Edited by Geemac

Microsoft research have been working on the real "game changer" for the past few years.

http://research. microsoft. com/en-us/news/features/translator-052714. aspx

Skype Translator will be released on Windows 8 later this year in a beta version. It's mind blowing to think that in the not too distant future you will be able to call anyone in the world and speak real time in your native language.

Mark.

Bailey Unicorn 3 Barcelona

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 7 seater

Take care . ..

Just thought I'd try it out . . English to Spanish . .

Put in . .

good morning how are you today mate

cos i'm feeling a bit rough
it gave . ..
buenos días ¿cómo estás hoy compañero
cos i siento un poco duro
Translating the spanish back to english resulted in . ...
cos i'm feeling a little hard
Edited by Disco Kid

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

Take care . ..

Just thought I'd try it out . . English to Spanish . .

Put in . .

cos i'm feeling a bit rough
it gave . ..
buenos días ¿cómo estás hoy compañero
cos i siento un poco duro
Translating the spanish back to english resulted in . ...
cos i'm feeling a little hard

:D As we discovered in the road sign thread there's no accounting for the subtleties within a language.

Gordon

Oui, il est un établissement vraiment utile n'est-ce pas.

Pasting that into a google search followed by the words'translate into English' gave this:- Yes, it 's a really useful property is not it .

Yes, it 's a really useful property is not it .
Yes, it 's a really useful property is not it .

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

As UK caravanners make up a large proportion of visitors to various sites in Europe, why would a site not understand an English email and respond, if they struggle, they have all the translation tools we have.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

As UK caravanners make up a large proportion of visitors to various sites in Europe, why would a site not understand an English email and respond, if they struggle, they have all the translation tools we have.

As discussed at various times on forums the Brits often congregate on a small number of 'well known' sites and the vast majority of the other sites may have very few, if any, Uk visitors. Perhaps these 'well-known' sites are popular because they respond to enquiries in English.

Right hand box where the translation appears, bottom right corner, a little loudspeaker thing. You have to type in something before it appears.

Gordon

Thank you

I sent an enquiry and translated it into German before I sent it. The reply came back in German

and I had to translate it back into English! :blink:

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

:D As we discovered in the road sign thread there's no accounting for the subtleties within a language.

Gordon

This could be source idea for another (pointless) thread . . the most bizarre translate / re-translate that google will do. ..

Surely if you shout loud enough at a foreigner, they will understand. It must work as I have often heard this method used in France and Spain.

So send the email in caps :)

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Just tried it with another language in which I am fluent and the translation was totally incorrect. Phrase was "We want to view some game in the near future". It referred "game" as in play games and not as in animals. I guess an incorrect translation could be very embarrassing. Adding "wild" before "game" made it even worse. Translating it back to English was grammatically incorrect although it sort of conveyed the meaning.

Hi,

We often use Google translate to send emails and when we do we always explain we have used Google translate and include an English version tacked on the bottom so the recipient knows that a) we have tried to communicate in their language and B) we can't speak their language. So far we have always had a positive response.

We have also used it on the phone to carry out a conversation face to face with someone where neither could speak the others language.

Great tool provided you don't mind the occasional translation blooper embarrassment :blink::unsure: ^_^

Steve

Steve (BroGoat)

travel blog - www. adventure-before-dementia. co. uk

Just tried it with another language in which I am fluent and the translation was totally incorrect. Phrase was "We want to view some game in the near future". It referred "game" as in play games and not as in animals. I guess an incorrect translation could be very embarrassing. Adding "wild" before "game" made it even worse. Translating it back to English was grammatically incorrect although it sort of conveyed the meaning.

A strange choice to test a translation?

Why would you want to view some 'game' as it covers all animals and fish that are hunted rather than specify one type?

Translating your sentence into French, German, Italian and Spanish, not unsurprisingly, refers to 'game' as in play not as in animal. Only in French does "hunt some game" translate correctly as 'chasser un gibier' the others still use the play aspect.

I sent an enquiry and translated it into German before I sent it. The reply came back in German

and I had to translate it back into English! :blink:

Just put the message in the same box and ask it to translate back to English.

I filled in a French restaurants feed back section on their web site using Google Translate( thinking I will be clever) and I received an email from them in English say that they could not understand what I had written. So I resent it in English. :blink::)

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

Whenever we needed to book a campsite prior to leaving the uk we would send an e mail,now most of the time we got a reply but too many times we recieved nothing, so I found https://translate. google. com/ you spell in English and the translation is given in the language you want it to be. After using this we always recieved an answer, this also helped us ask questions about the site we wished to visit ie what time is the reception office open,is there a disco, could we have a quiet pitch ? Always recieved an answer. Yes of course you all knew this did'nt you ? malc :lol:

Translated to French -Spanish - Chinese - English . . not bad . . all things considered

Posted Today, 11:24
We need to leave the United Kingdom, e-mail to reserve a campsite every time, and now most of the time, we have an answer, but often get nothing, so I found HTTPS: //translate. google . COM / publish an English translation to to use be. After out the language we have received a response, but also help us to ask questions about the've want to visit the site to know what time it is the reception, is a nightclub, we can have a leisurely? You will always receive an e-mail response. Yes, of course you know everything did'nt? MALC

Translated to French -Spanish - Chinese - English . . not bad . . all things considered

Posted Today, 11:24
We need to leave the United Kingdom, e-mail to reserve a campsite every time, and now most of the time, we have an answer, but often get nothing, so I found HTTPS: //translate. google . COM / publish an English translation to to use be. After out the language we have received a response, but also help us to ask questions about the've want to visit the site to know what time it is the reception, is a nightclub, we can have a leisurely? You will always receive an e-mail response. Yes, of course you know everything did'nt? MALC

Sorry lost in translation !! :P