Caravan In Bubble Wrap .....is It Possible?

kobelcokid

My kids are my world and well behaved BUT they just dont understand how Caravans are not kid friendly ie . ....have just noticed 3 scooter handle bar dinges in the side of MY HOBBY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

Ste

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%

It's not just kids, my father comes over and cuts our grass so as a result got some dents mower handle height

here we go, just wait for the replies, its going to be a kids thing again, i dearnt give my opinion as i would be shot :lol::lol:

phil

There is only one thing you have to remember when you are with kids or have kids, which is simple, you was one once! so in theory going by the last comment reading between the lines, most of you shouldn't be here. :lol::D:)

It's also visitors with passengers who park to close to the caravan ( van is adjacent to the near side of my double width drive) and open their car passenger doors without due car !!!!!!!

Seriously though has anyone come up with a simple, sensible and reasonably aesthetic idea to protect the side of a caravan form this sort of stuff? Something that is easy to put up or on and off but keeps scooter and mower handles, car doors and other such stuff away from the very malleable aluminium side panels of a caravan ( the end ABS panels seem to be no problem as they stand much more punishment).

I'd been thinking of of some kind of guard rail that stands about 6 inches from the caravan and about 2 - 3 foot high ( sorry 150mm and 600-900mm) or a sort of "boat fender" idea that could hand form the awning rail ??

Jim

"keep your motor running"

caravan: Avondale Avocet ( 2006) - tow car: Renault Laguna (2007) - play car: Mercedes 300SL (1988)

Build caravans out of GRP or high-strength steel which have hard surfaces instead of aluminium which is soft.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

There is only one thing you have to remember when you are with kids or have kids, which is simple, you was one once! so in theory going by the last comment reading between the lines, most of you shouldn't be here. :lol::D:)

I totally agree and i my kids are no where near has mad has i was has a child are else there would be pellet holes from a Airgun if they followed my footsteps !

i just wish caravans were a bit tougher but then there would be the weight issue .

Ste

Ste

Edited by kobelcokid

Probably a third of the dings on my caravan are my doing but the other two thirds, well as Toyah used to sing, 'It's a Mystery'.

Stay safe ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Well, it was certainly "kids" who scratched the side of our previous Bailey, but not the young ones you would think - our son was 25 at the time and it was caused by the reclining chairs going back into the side! Yes, they could do with bubble wrapped sides!

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

I saw a photo of a caravan with a huge arc of paint removed . .... by a mechanic

using a torque wrench to tighten the hub nut.

Now;

Kids and footballs,

Testosterone fueled fathers with frisbees

A rusty steady where a local dog peed on it repeatedly

A neighbour who threw bread on a caravan roof in an

act of jealousy the pecking gulls made a mess of dents and guano

And a natural disaster a new Bailey with a hail dented roof

I'd been thinking of of some kind of guard rail that stands about 6 inches from the caravan and about 2 - 3 foot high ( sorry 150mm and 600-900mm) or a sort of "boat fender" idea that could hand form the awning rail ??

Jim

Perhaps an electrified wire cattle barrier at the height you suggest. With an accompanying warning sign would be; cheap to buy and install.

Can’t beat the old saying, “Good fences make good neighbours”, however your neighbours and the local kids may find it a shocking idea and start to refer to you as, “Old Sparky”. :P

Twin Axle Fleetwood Heritage 640 EST - pulled by a dual fuel, (Petrol/LPG) BMW 528i Auto

Buy an Adria with which has plastic side panels. However the door is Aluminium, as proved on ours with small dent in it.

here we go, just wait for the replies, its going to be a kids thing again, i dearnt give my opinion as i would be shot :lol::lol:

phil

Hey Phil, I see you have dogs !! someone once said " a person who hates small children and dogs cannot be all bad all of the time " me I love kids some off the time !! :rolleyes:

When a local pet poultry business folded, a guy turned up and

bought three sets of electric netting with the power supplies

to put around his boat to keep the dog walkers from dumping

the "doggy bags" on and around his property.

Neat looking netting

It's also visitors with passengers who park to close to the caravan ( van is adjacent to the near side of my double width drive) and open their car passenger doors without due car !!!!!!!

Seriously though has anyone come up with a simple, sensible and reasonably aesthetic idea to protect the side of a caravan form this sort of stuff? Something that is easy to put up or on and off but keeps scooter and mower handles, car doors and other such stuff away from the very malleable aluminium side panels of a caravan ( the end ABS panels seem to be no problem as they stand much more punishment).

Jim

Some (long) time ago, I submitted some ideason this or another forum, for someone who wanted to fence his parked caravan off from the drive. It was parked on concrete and he had little room to spare. I suggested he use two or three fence panels (3 feet high?) screwed in a line to a suitable batten, then fit right-angle brackets up the panels level with the front leg, tyre, and rear leg. (the bottom bit of each bracket to be held down by these three). Result should be a "freestanding" fence panel of length to protect the caravan side. (I did explain better last time!!)

If at first you don't succeed, it may be best to give up.

If only the manufactures could build in tougher panels below window height would make caravans much more robust .

Ste

We only had one small dent in our last caravan which was caused by me the day after we picked it up from new dropping the wastemaster against it! For some reason hubby said 'I'm glad you did it and not me!' Don't know what he meant by that ;)

Jeep Grand Cherokee S Limited

2014 Crusader Storm :D

Build caravans out of GRP or high-strength steel which have hard surfaces instead of aluminium which is soft.

High grade steel? Who has a tank to pull them! LoL

I was looking at a "fight cage" to keep mine in, then thought of all the

roosting birds it might attract :D

I must say the grp sides of our old Abbey Expression were pretty much 'ding' proof . .. Bailey are now doing grp sides. .. Others may follow?

Kee clamps and scaffold poles to make a (removable) handrail / fence around the van could work to keep people / objects away?

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

High grade steel? Who has a tank to pull them! LoL

An Airstream then ( made of Stainless steel I believe) and it's not so much the tank to pull it it's the bank account to buy it!!!!

Jim

caravan: Avondale Avocet ( 2006) - tow car: Renault Laguna (2007) - play car: Mercedes 300SL (1988)

One idea I had was to take two or three short pieces of awning strip ( from an old "wheel cover" skirt I have spare) and attach pieces of broad tape to hang from them. These would slide onto the awning rail and would suspend a "long sausage" made of who knows what ( inflated tube or some large diameter foam insulation perhaps) which would hang along the side of the 'van at about 2ft 6" to 3ft from the ground.

Just a though

Jim

Edited by JamesF

Cheap camping mat (soft foam type), plastic snap on eyelets added along edge(s) and attached to side of caravan with suction hooks at required height. Can be cut into suitable size/depth or to fit around windows etc. Light as a feather and easy to fix/remove.

Works perfectly to protect side of van from chair dents. :D

Joy

My van is parked on my drive and my neighbour has to park his car next to it.
I've got about 6 vertical dents, all the same height and size, but "it's not his car that's doing it"

So i'm after something to put on the side of the van when at home to stop my neighbour from NOT hitting it.

The post above sounds a good idea

Hyundai Santa Fe 2. 2 Premium Auto 2010 - Sterling Eccles Moonstone 2005 - Kampa Ace Air 300 2016

Well at least it's your kids and your caravan. .. Not your kids and my caravan