Black Streaks!

I'm quite fastidious when it comes to keeping black streaks at bay but ever since we've had our MH, they're getting the better of me.

Take the other day for example. Washed the roof off and gave it a good polish and final wax with Farecla G3. An hour later it rained moderately for about 20 minutes. When the rain had stopped and the MH had dried off in the not so strong sunlight (about 2 hours), the black streaks on the side were back with a vengeance. It can't be the polish or wax causing these as I've tried several brands on the roof and nothing stops the streaks from coming back. I always thought, as when we had our 'van, that if you kept the roof clean, black streaks would be minimal.

What the hell am I doing wrong and is there something simple I'm missing? :blush:

2019 Adria Adora Thames

I'm quite fastidious when it comes to keeping black streaks at bay but ever since we've had our MH, they're getting the better of me.

Take the other day for example. Washed the roof off and gave it a good polish and final wax with Farecla G3. An hour later it rained moderately for about 20 minutes. When the rain had stopped and the MH had dried off in the not so strong sunlight (about 2 hours), the black streaks on the side were back with a vengeance. It can't be the polish or wax causing these as I've tried several brands on the roof and nothing stops the streaks from coming back. I always thought, as when we had our 'van, that if you kept the roof clean, black streaks would be minimal.

What the hell am I doing wrong and is there something simple I'm missing? :blush:

So did I! It's happened to me too. Wash and polish one day, streaks the next. Something we have to

live with, I think. :(

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

I was always under the impression that black streaks came from the rubbers on the windows, which if that is the case then use a caravan cleaner neat on the window rubbers and leaving it for around ten minuets, then rinsing it off that usually works if not repeat until no more black rinses off. That works on my caravan, can't say I have black streaks from the roof, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I was always under the impression that black streaks came from the rubbers on the windows, which if that is the case then use a caravan cleaner neat on the window rubbers and leaving it for around ten minuets, then rinsing it off that usually works if not repeat until no more black rinses off. That works on my caravan, can't say I have black streaks from the roof, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I like your thinking Digger but the black streaks we have are for 2/3rd of the MH length (14 feet ish) and are above the windows. Will persevere with the solution and see what Detailing World throws up.

2019 Adria Adora Thames

My current caravan is the worst I've ever had for black streaks. They definitely come from the roof as they start from roof level even though I make a great effort to keep the roof clean. The only thing that seems to make a difference for me is to park the caravan in a nose-down attitude. I suspect that this causes the rainwater to run off the roof more quickly so that it has less time to absorb the soot, dirt, or whatever is lying on the roof.

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

My current caravan is the worst I've ever had for black streaks. They definitely come from the roof as they start from roof level even though I make a great effort to keep the roof clean. The only thing that seems to make a difference for me is to park the caravan in a nose-down attitude. I suspect that this causes the rainwater to run off the roof more quickly so that it has less time to absorb the soot, dirt, or whatever is lying on the roof.

Highlandman,Yes--- yes ---- the faster you can shift the debris from the roof and gutters the better.------if you use Fenwicks Bobby Dazzler in the rinse water after a good cleaning this will also speed up the removal of the CRUD which also coats the inside of the aluminium rails(gutters) helping to stop the build up of general rubbish. Wax/polish will also help in the speeding up of water etc but degrades with age and UV light. The old wax needs replacing before a new application is applied otherwise the old polish will absorb the dirt and stain the surface( c/v paint ain't ard) thus, becoming ingrained and much harder to remove. Regard OMF

The black streaks issue is not helped by the lack of rainwater gutters on my series one Bailey Unicorn. In fact I'd say it's the only major criticism that I have about my caravan.

The dreaded black streaks can't have anything to do with window rubbers (in my case) as I get them dowm the back of my Swift Challenger Sport 564. No rear window, just a huge expanse of white GRP. The roof has been cleaned so its not coming from there! We wait for a dry day, wash and dry the roof and slowly work our way down the front, sides and rear. The next rain shower and the streaks are back. Can any scientist provide an explanation??

As Toyah sang, "Its a mystery"

Mike.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

I can't give you a scientific answer Townie, but I believe that the muck comes from the amount of pollution in the air produced by traffic exhaust fumes being carried down with the rain. We live quite near the M90 motorway and I have often noticed a change in the amount of filth on the caravan roof depending on whether the wind is carrying the air from the motorway or towards it.

I'm starting to think that maybe it's the polishes and waxes that were using that are actually accentuating the streaks? Yes, a good coating of polish/wax makes the streaks easier to remove but they shouldn't appear in the first place after, in my case, a very short period of time. :(

Maybe time to try a few more polishes methinks - more £'s. What we need is the detailing guru, JCF1966's (James) and his thoughts on the subject.

Edited by Pebble

2019 Adria Adora Thames

Well you all got me thinking now, as it is strange that I don't seem to have the dreaded black streaks from the roof of my caravan, just the rubbers as stated in my earlier post. Maybe I am just lucky I guess, as my caravan is near a motorway.

I only get the black streaks from the window rubbers,

They don't wash off, they don't rub off, well not completely.

Yesterday I tried some Mr Sheen, sprayed onto a soft cloth (old tee shirt). a gentle rub. ......

And they were gone! :)

The van hasn't dissolved away either, so that looks like a good solution!

I use Mr Sheen on my motorcycle too, with no ill effects on paint or ABS.

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

Same here I too get the black streaks appearing after washing they are also difficult to remove

Hyundai Santa Fe 2. 2 Premium auto, 5 seats. Elddis Avante 574

I've spent a long time on the internet looking into what actually causes the black streaks. Forget window rubbers as my streaks, like a lot of other 'vanners, are above the window line. As to why they come back so quickly on a clean, polished sides, despite the roof being polished and waxed, is still a mystery.

Edited by Pebble

2019 Adria Adora Thames

Due to my profession I keep on top of my caravan, never put in storage dirty and always washed before I use it, if I have chance I'll also give it a wash in storage, it's had paint protection and at the beginning of the year I give it a coat of wax and top it up throughout the year, probably 4 times. Even with this kind of attention it still gets black streaks, above the windows, below the windows, down the front and down the back, you will never beat the black streaks, you can only make them easier to get rid of.

Removal is quite tough, so I think I will try Fenwicks Black Streak remover, here's a video (appreciate it is relating to the windows rubbers) but still relevant I think. ...

Hyundai Santa Fe 2. 2 Premium auto, 5 seats. Elddis Avante 574

Due to my profession I keep on top of my caravan, never put in storage dirty and always washed before I use it, if I have chance I'll also give it a wash in storage, it's had paint protection and at the beginning of the year I give it a coat of wax and top it up throughout the year, probably 4 times. Even with this kind of attention it still gets black streaks, above the windows, below the windows, down the front and down the back, you will never beat the black streaks, you can only make them easier to get rid of.

Phil - could it be that some polishes/waxes react with the pollutants in the rain to create black streaks or am I clutching at straws? :unsure: I only seem to get them on one side!

I generally use Farecla G3 wax on top of a well prepare and polished surface, so removing the streaks isn't difficult. Just wish the ****** things didn't appear in the first place :angry: .

Edited by Pebble

2019 Adria Adora Thames

Phil - could it be that some polishes/waxes react with the pollutants in the rain to create black streaks or am I clutching at straws? :unsure: I only seem to get them on one side!

If you only get them on one side then count yourself lucky, if you stood on one kerb all day at the end of it one side of you will be dirtier than the other, black streaks are a result of dirt from various sources. I doubt it very much that some waxes 'react' with pollutants, I think it's more likely the area/situation your van is parked. When I've valeted caravans at coastal locations the black streaks tend to be less of a problem. In storage areas close to towns and cities the problem is more so.

As for clutching at straws. ...... Maybe I'll give that a go instead of a microfibre !!!!

• 1 month later...

I have sorted my black streak issues (90%) by fitting drip strips to my awning rails on my 2011 Ranger gt, been using them for about 6 months now, They fit in each awning rail, and allow rainwater fron the roof to drip away from the body. ....it works for me. ..

DSC08654_zps5a4db5f6.jpg

DSC08653_zpsa65b9a3a.jpg

Edited by gtepete

No awning channels on our MH. Had drip strips on our previous Delta and yes, they worked.

I think I've found out what was causing the steaks on the o/s of the MH. There are longitudinal roof rails whish run the length of the MH. By cleaning these up and giving them a good coat of polish and wax, the streaks seem to have stopped. We've also relocated the MH away from home into the countryside and this may have also helped.

2019 Adria Adora Thames

• 2 weeks later...

I've spent a long time on the internet looking into what actually causes the black streaks. Forget window rubbers as my streaks, like a lot of other 'vanners, are above the window line. As to why they come back so quickly on a clean, polished sides, despite the roof being polished and waxed, is still a mystery

Best seen on a van roof that never ever saw any cleaning have you noticed how the paint develops random micro-pits? Caused by formerly airborne particles, these go right down to the base metal. If there's no sacrificial wax barrier the pits may still be at the microscopic level but they are there nonetheless. On a steel car panel you eventually get an expanding rust spot but on an aluminium caravan roof this can't happen but runoff dumps leached out black aluminium oxides on the white paint. Not the whole story though because dirty/polluted water from a grp roof will still form streaks but nowhere near as bad.

I have sorted my black streak issues (90%) by fitting drip strips to my awning rails on my 2011 Ranger gt, been using them for about 6 months now, They fit in each awning rail, and allow rainwater fron the roof to drip away from the body. ....it works for me. ..

DSC08654_zps5a4db5f6.jpg

DSC08653_zpsa65b9a3a.jpg

Can I ask where you got these from please? I have a hideous yellow one and the only other colour I can find online is red! I would happily leave mine in if they were white/grey

Caravanless. ...

Hi, will need to search dealer out on ebay. ..not cheap but good quality and it works. .....