River Breamish To Barnard Castle

Would be grateful for some route advice.

Can someone tell me whether the route from River Breamish south to Barnard Castle leaving the A1 at Bowburn to pick up the A688 and going through Barnard Castle is a sensible towing route.

Volvo V70 D4 Estate automatic Swift Challenger SE 580

Barnard Castle town centre is usually very busy with some tight turns, including the river bridge which has a 7. 5 ton weight limit but the A688 is generally a fast road once you get past Bishop Auckland.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

No problem towing through Barnard Castle. Done it many times. The river bridge with the weight restriction is controlled by lights and is fine for caravans. Route is much shorter and quicker than the "recommended " route. Plus you get to pass Raby Castle and its herd of deer.

When are you thinking of travelling, as i literally live 2 mins away from the Bowburn exit. reason asking is we have some major roadworks on the Bowburn roundabout and on the A688. ..

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

Would be grateful for some route advice.

Can someone tell me whether the route from River Breamish south to Barnard Castle leaving the A1 at Bowburn to pick up the A688 and going through Barnard Castle is a sensible towing route.

I would come off the A1M at the next junction(60), as the roundabout at Thinford(A67) is a nightmare and there are always tailbacks. I use this way home from work, as although the Bowburn/Thinford way is shorter, it takes me longer to go that way and is more hassle.

Bishop Auckland is all bypassed so is fairly easy, but is handy if you need to stop for shopping as you will pass Sainsburys/Tesco at Tindale on the way with large easy to get around car parks. (theres a Morrisons at Barnard Castle but its a bit small).

When are you thinking of travelling, as i literally live 2 mins away from the Bowburn exit. reason asking is we have some major roadworks on the Bowburn roundabout and on the A688. ..

Tues 9 Sept

I would come off the A1M at the next junction(60), as the roundabout at Thinford(A67) is a nightmare and there are always tailbacks. I use this way home from work, as although the Bowburn/Thinford way is shorter, it takes me longer to go that way and is more hassle.

Bishop Auckland is all bypassed so is fairly easy, but is handy if you need to stop for shopping as you will pass Sainsburys/Tesco at Tindale on the way with large easy to get around car parks. (theres a Morrisons at Barnard Castle but its a bit small).

Thanks for that. I think I will take this route.

Volvo V70 D4 Estate automatic Swift Challenger SE 580

If you are going to one of the several sites on the west side of Barnard Castle, then it would be worth considering the A1 all the way down to Scotch Corner then up the A66. You can generally sit at 60mph all the way and then take the B6277 which misses out the High Street and the bridge at Barnard Castle. Probably in total only 5 or 6 minutes longer than going round Bishop Auckland but less hassle.

Mike

Hopefully the roadworks are finished on A688, not sure about ones on roundabout. Shouldn't be a real problem as they are night time works. ....

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****