Tow Ball Winch

Now this could come in handy if your van is bogged down in a muddy field!:

http://www. bak-rak. com/winch-rak. htm

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

Inherited something similar from my stepfather. Used it a few times, notably near Silverstone in 2000-ish when everywhere was soggy owing to the rain. The problem is steering the van on a bumpy surface. Even if you lock the jockey wheel in its detents so it points straight ahead, the van still wants to wander off. Also, on mine, pulling the cable out means you need an assistant as there's a mechanism to stop the load e. g. running off down a hill unless there's someone winding the handle.

However, there's no way 2 people could have parked up my mate's dead Discovery where it is now without it or something similar. :)

hawkaye :beardy:

Seems a clever idea, but only rated to 500kg? Or am I reading it incorrectly?

Oh no, not another £100 must-have gadget ;)

Wozerp - they do a range. Read neat the bottom "Which one do I need?"

Toby

Toby?

Tony

Seems a clever idea, but only rated to 500kg? Or am I reading it incorrectly?

That's 500kg of pull as I understand it.

Caravans may weigh in @ a tonne or more, but that's the weight of the van, which is on the wheels, not what is needed to pull it. Otherwise you would never be able to manoeuvre them easily by hand.

Caravans may weigh in @ a tonne or more, but that's the weight of the van, which is on the wheels, not what is needed to pull it. Otherwise you would never be able to manoeuvre them easily by hand.

Ah OK, point taken, but I wonder if it would be possible to exceed to 500kg limit if you were say dragging a larger van up an incline?

I had a case earlier this year where I was going up a steep gravel surface in to a CL, having front wheel drive, I lost traction on the hill and got stuck. I managed to get out the situation by backing down on level ground and taking a run at it, but was still scrabbling for grip on the way up. I can see that this winch might have been usefull getting out of that situation.

I had a case earlier this year where I was going up a steep gravel surface in to a CL, having front wheel drive, I lost traction on the hill and got stuck. I managed to get out the situation by backing down on level ground and taking a run at it, but was still scrabbling for grip on the way up. I can see that this winch might have been usefull getting out of that situation.

I had exactly that a few weeks ago at C&CC Troutbeck.

I'd driven out from there a few days earlier with no problems, but the second time, wheel spin, tyre smoke & burning clutch!!

Not going back there ever!

Not because of that, but because the elsan point is at the top of the hill, which is steep enough without dragging the cassette behind me!

If I need to pull my 2 tonne caravan up a slope then I think I would need the electric 4000 lb model.

Pete
Range Rover(s) towing Buccaneer Caravel

• 3 months later...

Well, I bought one!

Whilst I was at Hertford C&CC, it was just a short trip to Hitchin, to go buy the tow ball mounted Winch-Rak.

Very pleased with it.

IMG_0441_zps1063b3d3.jpg

IMG_0442_zps95e6dda6.jpg

IMG_0443_zps35d80b16.jpg

IMG_0444_zps580613cd.jpg

IMG_0445_zpseb410601.jpg

I'vr got a manual one similar to this one.

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/Caravan-winch-1400-lbs-capacity-with-towbar-coupling-attachment-Collect-DE7area-/271706876668?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item3f42fdeafc

If anyone wants it and can collect in the central notts area P. M. me with a cash offer. Works by a towball mounted to the winch so you are winching the van and steering it from the same place.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

I doubt that it would pull a caravan along with the jockey wheel digging into the grass/mud. Just think of the pitch damage!!!!