Tyre Pressures On An Older Mh

sampvt

Does anyone know what my tyre pressures should be. I have a 1986 Fiat Ducato Elddis autostratus. My axle weights are 1450kg front and 1200kg rear, 2650kg in total fully laden with us in the cab. The Maximum laden weight is well over 3000kg so I am well within weight levels and the manual addresses issues from when it was a full Ducato, not a coach build as is now.

Any help would be great as fuel and tyre wear are a concern.

Im back to motorhoming with a scooter on the back again.

I spoke to elddis and they couldn't help because they didn't have anything on their records regarding pressures. Their chief engineer thought 55front and 60 rear but that was based on weight alone and on a caravan tyre of a similar nature. Their tyre company were vague and suggested 65psi all round. Quick fit said 45 front 50 rear. Leeds caravan center said the ducato plate of 65 front and 73 rear and a google came up with an answer from the Talbot forum of 55 front and 60 rear. Everyone seems to think the rear is heavier but it isn't, the front axle is way heavier, in fact I have a scooter on the back and the rear axle is still 135kg less than the front.

Fiat garage said 50 all round so I am bemused to say the least. The tyres are 185r / 14c and the GVW is 2650kg, if that helps any of you techies out there.

Im back to motorhoming with a scooter on the back again.

I apologise in advance for going off topic but I have just been reading the posts about tattooing prior to to this.

I then misread the heading for this post as:

"Tyre Pressures on an Older Man".

They're coming to take me away, ha ha. :blink:

If you have arrived at your fully loaded axle weights by going to a weighbridge you could get an approximate pressure by inspecting the maximums stamped on the tyres. There will be maximum load (kg) and maximum psi.

Axle weight divided by number of tyres on that axle gives the TYRE LOAD.

Tyre pressure = MAX PSI x TYRE LOAD / MAX LOAD

All tyres on the axle need to be the same spec, and never inflate to more than MAX PSI.

Edit: The tyres may of course be over specced for the gross weight of the vehicle, which will result in the calculated pressure being very low - so take this calculation as a guide only.

Edited by onewheelonmywagon

Land Rover is now back towing.