N F O L

lunarloopy

Off to NFOL later, first we've been to since the boys stopped camping 20 something years ago. Taking the grand kids and really looking forward to it. If anyone going and spots my Avatar (flag of St. Edmund, England's true saint) please come and say hello

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her

Did anyone spot my Avatar? I spotted 2 others!

NFOL this year was al ittle disappointing if I'm honest, we have been to 5 previously, last one back in '92/3(?) but we've been on NFOL 's with upwards of 5000 units, nowhere near that amount this weekend, maybe the venue put people off but it was a superb site with tatmac roads and well draining ground. It was very windy all weekend. The entertainment was varied, but nothing for teenagers or younger kids which was disappointing. The Mardi Gras was brilliant as where the street scenes. Those people who are still asking "should we rally?", well give an NFOL a go, you'll enjoy it.

What is or are NFOL?

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

What is or are NFOL?

It's an annual gathering of the camping and caravan clubs most friendly members in all their zany glory, call it a sort of extreme rallying for people with wind socks and fairy lights, it is unclear whether dressing as a gnome is compulsory or just some form of collective hysteria.

post-55551-0-11058900-1409527978_thumb.jpg

post-55551-0-46969900-1409528037_thumb.jpg

post-55551-0-43562400-1409528057_thumb.jpg

post-55551-0-37692100-1409528104_thumb.jpg

NFOL National Feast of Lanterns, it's a C&CC thing.

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

A bit like s secret gathering in the woods then ;)

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

It's an annual gathering of the camping and caravan clubs most friendly members in all their zany glory, call it a sort of extreme rallying for people with wind socks and fairy lights, it is unclear whether dressing as a gnome is compulsory or just some form of collective hysteria.

I'll keep an eye out for that

And avoid at all cost

Volvo XC60 Momentum Pro D4 pulling an Elddis Crusader Mistral

My life is deeply enhanced by that knowledge, and my brain forever scarred by those images.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

I think it dates back to when the C&CC was The Camping Club and nearly everybody was in a tent.

I was a youth member and we hardly ever saw a caravan on the local DA meets.

The Feast of Lanterns was just a meet with a decorated paraffin lantern.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

NFOL this year was al ittle disappointing if I'm honest, we have been to 5 previously, last one back in '92/3(?) but we've been on NFOL 's with upwards of 5000 units, nowhere near that amount this weekend, maybe the venue put people off

Choosing a venue as far as possible away from the rest of the UK's C&CC membership is a "surefire" way of ensuring a very poor attendance; the more so for those that remember the last time it was held there.

I really can't understand the thinking of the local NFOL committee or HQ decision makers of neither think it out or overriding such a poor decision.

The NFOL is dying anyway, passing together with our generation, who as we age can't take on the trip lengths involved. It needs a radical rethink and injection of commonsense or scrapping if that is too difficult.

No, we did not go this time, dismissed it instantly when the very inconvenient venue was chosen, again.

Edited by JTQ

That to me is a nightmare, so pleased I knew nothing about it, and now so pleased I know so I can keep a wide berth :D

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

1288275170_2019VIP.jpg.775f2d8ce7b26db242e04a2e77903cd0.jpg

You are absolutely right JTQ, although last time it was at Bangor, but yes the distances for people coming from the south were impossible. Julia Bredbury in her opening address said it took her 7 1/2 hrs!

I believe a central location should be tried, even if it floats around the East+West Midlands for a couple of years to see if it regains it's legs.

Next years at Kings Lyn is a no go for us, it would mean taking 2 weeks holiday in school holiday time.

We went to this I think 95 or 96, at Cholomondeley Cheshire. It was a massive event, 1000's of vans and tents. We would probably go again, but we are a bit soft now, and wouldn't like not having EHU.

2017 Swift Elegance 580  towed by 2015 Volvo XC70

We went to this I think 95 or 96, at Cholomondeley Cheshire. It was a massive event, 1000's of vans and tents. We would probably go again, but we are a bit soft now, and wouldn't like not having EHU.

I Think there is option of EHU if you want it. .....

I Think there is option of EHU if you want it. .....

There maybe now, but not 20yrs ago unless you had medical needs. May have a look at next years, depending where it is.

We did go on some of the local DA meets and FOL, and always had a really good time.

I think it was very much geared to families at that time.

2017 Swift Elegance 580  towed by 2015 Volvo XC70

North Central Region put on excellent NFOL at Weston Park in 1990, well attended. What they were thinking of going to Bangor (a disaster) and Valley God alone knows!

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450