De Scaling Boiler

Well I'm sat here in the Loire feeling very pleased with myself, as I have discovered that boiling the kettle with vinegar in it, cleans every bit of lime scale from the element first time, that got me thinking, if the kettle is manky, what about the alde boiler, any body know of any way of cleaning the boiler, didn't fancy putting white vinegar in it?

Sorry this has come up as two topics, got a bit of a stutter!

kia sorento kx3 pulling bailey barcelona u2, very well

Hi Steve, hope you are enjoying you stay in the Loire.

About your descaling your hot water system with vinegar, some people say the it will destroy your seals but I have never used it so can't comment.

What I would say is have a read of this http://caravanchronicles. com/2013/01/12/citric-acid-trip/ and this http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/86649-water-system-descaled/?hl=descaling&do=findComment&comment=920773

Dave

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

Cleaning the Alde water boiler is no different to cleaning any of the Carver/Truma water boilers - fill the water system with water & white vinegar at 50:50, run the system overnight, then drain and flush next day - you can't do this while the caravan is in use!

The Alde heating side won't need descaling as it's protected by the corrosion inhibitor, aka anti-freeze.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

As the freshwater side of the Alde is warmed by the adjacent inhibited water, not a high temperature point source as with a heating element, or gas burner tube, does it get locally hot enough for scaling to be a real issue?

I would consult Alde UK before doing anything as it might well not be needed and could be potentially damaging if using the wrong products or procedure; hopefully Alde's representative on here might make comment.

Limescale will form at 60 degrees C - the heating surface will be above that to achieve 60 C in the water, which is the MINIMUM temperature for hot water, to avoid bacteria build-up like Legionella's Disease.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Indeed, limescale isn't usually a problem in the Alde system, due to its design.

If you were to inspect the hot water cylinder with an industrial endoscope, you would likely notice a thin, copperly coloured film on the stainless steel surfaces, but little else.

You can check if limescale is going to be a problem in your system by removing the red water connector on the upper corner of the boiler.

http://www. alde. co. uk/images/3010-9013. jpg

Shine a torch inside the brass nipple it connects onto. Can you see any furring/limescale? Now look inside the red water connector, inside the port that connects to the brass nipple. Can you see any limescale debris?

If the answer is "No", or "Hardly any", then limescale shouldn't be a problem for you.

The only time we've found limescale to be a problem, the water fittings on the boiler (and elsewhere in the vehicle) were all showing visible, obvious signs.

White vinegar is a tried and tested method of cleaning/descaling stainless steel.

This is the information I got from Truma

Truma Superstore

We recommend that you use 2 litres of white wine vinegar diluted into 10/12 litres of cold water, introduce and leave in the system for 4 to 5 hours without heating and then flush through.

This works for me, I feel that the 50/50 mix may be a tad strong, remember you can allways do it again

Enjoy France