External Water Pump To Internal Pump

Hi Guys and Gals,

I have a 2005 Senator Wyoming and am looking to change the water pump from one that sits in the aqua roll to a shurflo one that sits underneath the seats. The only real problem I can see is what pressure pump to get. The one on the van ATM is a Whale high flow one. I don't want to get one that pumps out too much pressure just Incase it blows pipes off and floods the van.

All help is greatly received

Thanks sleepyfolk. I think the whale high flow was 14LPM but not sure what the psi was. My wife uses the shower every day so need one to keep her happy. ... I'm happy with the ones in the shower block lol

As long as you don't go over 2 bar / 30psi I should think you'll be fine, our 8 lpm pump is great for the shower with ecocamel orbit shower head on, it's sufficient to run shower or sinks individually but not at the same time.

If you get too high a flow rate you might get problems with hydraulic hammer and the pressure switch fluttering.

Have you got a damper fitted to your system? If not you'll need to put one in just after the pump discharge, if you get a standard flow rate pump the whale damper is only about £16 if you need it.

Edited by sleepyfolk

Hi there

There's a (Whale I think) pressure regulator in the water circuit of my Avondale and a Sureflow pump to control the pressure and unlike sleepyfolk I can run both the shower and the taps at the same time but it does interfere with the temperature !!!!

I seem to remember a water flow diagram in the handbook so I'll look later and see if I can scan it unless someone comes in first :D

As to the Ecocamel shower head - can't praise them enough :)

Jim

post-34429-0-66286500-1409213435_thumb.jpg

post-34429-0-84917600-1409213452_thumb.jpg

"keep your motor running"

caravan: Avondale Avocet ( 2006) - tow car: Renault Laguna (2007) - play car: Mercedes 300SL (1988)

Just taken a couple of pics of my system in the Avocet if it helps

You can make out the inlet on the back of the locker, feeds into the pump via the strainer and you can see the pressure regulator (Whale) on the back right hand side ( white cylinder) . As you'll see the pump is a 16psi model and this works great ( kitchen sink, shower room sink and shower - not connected to the toilet flush)

The system works a treat AND you can use it on mains pressure water thanks to the controlled inlet

Cheers

Jim

post-34429-0-71812800-1409213653_thumb.jpg

post-34429-0-41886700-1409213662_thumb.jpg

Edited by JamesF

"keep your motor running"

caravan: Avondale Avocet ( 2006) - tow car: Renault Laguna (2007) - play car: Mercedes 300SL (1988)

I'm sure mine had a surge damper already fitted but it's in storage so I might have to have a look tomorrow and go from there

Just took some photos today off my water system where it enters the van. It has a surge damper and a pressure switch on it.

It comes into the van and goes into a tee piece. A pipe comes from the internal tank to the tee piece then into the pressure switch.

I'm just looking to change a pump from being in the aqua roll to inside the van with a possibility of getting a higher pressure pump so I can get a good shower.

post-66947-0-65937400-1409426512_thumb.jpg

post-66947-0-20264700-1409426552_thumb.jpg

Put on of these in my brother in laws horsebox recently and it works well, pressure switch built in so we just had to run 12v from fuse panel with a switch of a suitable amp rating. I think if you look at the fitting instructions for the whale damper (on their website maybe?) they instruct you to fit it immediately after the pump discharge, not miles away off a tee piece!

I think I would get either a whale or shurflo pump with the pressure switch integrated, as for flow rate - as mine gives a good shower at 8 l/pm I would have to suggest that as a minimum, in the horsebox we had to use a 10 l/pm pump as it also supplies a combi boiler. Pressure of 30psi seems to be a good benchmark for a powerful shower. I don't personally think there will be any difference in use between the 7/8/10 l/pm pumps as they are used in the caravan apart from the speed at which they will fill the onboard tank from outside, I could be wrong!

Personally, I would install my chosen pump in the line of pipe immediately that comes from the bulkhead outside connector, in the bit of pipe with the curiously tie wrapped loop! Once you've wired it up you can see if there is any chattering from the pump, if there is you can move the damper closer to the discharge side of the pump and close off the tee piece.

Let us know how it goes