Feeling 'at Home'

Just had a lovely couple of weeks in Black Forest and first time in Germany. Site was fantastic and great value for a 5* campsite for family in August at just over £30 a night. However we are now on way home and have a few nights stopping over near Reims and it just feel more at home being in France again for some reason!

Loved holiday on Germany and for sure will return at some point but maybe we just love the coast too much so will probably be western or Southern France against next year

Edited by sunshinetours

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

What site did you stay at in the Black Forest please? We may be heading that way en route to another destination next year.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

Just had a lovely couple of weeks in Black Forest and first time in Germany. Site was fantastic and great value for a 5* campsite for family in August at just over £30 a night. However we are now on way home and have a few nights stopping over near Reims and it just feel more at home being in France again for some reason!

Loved holiday on Germany and for sure will return at some point but maybe we just love the coast too much so will probably be western or Southern France against next year

It's funny you should say that.

We have travelled extensively in Europe over the years but despite loving Germany, Austria and Northern Italy we always feel more relaxed in France. I have reasoned that despite enjoying distant camping there is some subliminal angst being too far from 'home'.

France is only a hop away from Blighty if a speedy return is required.

Maybe the low population density, less traffic and laid back life style play a part. There is no doubt that Germanic efficiency and regulations can make for a less carefree holiday.

What site did you stay at in the Black Forest please? We may be heading that way en route to another destination next year.

Glen and les we stayed at Campingplatz Munstertal in southern Black Forest very near lovely town of Staufen. Has own very comprehensive website in English and staff do reply in English to email. Does book up quickly as huge number of regulars. Spa onsite and inside and outside pools are a lovely plus and toilet facilities and such are simply 5*

Happy to help further as and when you book up

Whole area is lovely

We are near Dunkirk at present, on the last day of our hols. We initially went to Slovenia via Germany and Austria and have meandered back.

We too enjoyed the trip but were glad to get back to France. Everything about French camping just seems to be comfortable.

Most notable are supermarkets. Whilst you won't starve in the other countries, they seem to lack the variety.

Next year? Not. Sure yet. ......

Of all the countries in Europe I find France the worst, I just cannot find a single word that is good to say about it. From getting ripped off at the tolls to shaking the van to destruction on the side roads, to the shops that are forever closed, the camp sites are from the dark ages, and most have never heard off hot water.

I have travelled extensively through france, and as late as last week and I am always very glad to get thorough it, unfortunately I have to pass through to get anywhere decent.

Last week the bad roads broke every screw holding my consumer unit and threw everything out of the bathroom, and took all the cushions off the settee.

France you can keep it.

I always say the same upon crossing the Italian border. The biggest "relief/joy/thank heavens" was after spending time in the south of France, Nice, Antibes etc - what an awful experience. As soon as we were over the Italian border passed Menton we were happy.

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

France is usually the first country, other than the UK, where people have their first experience of "foreign" touring and sometimes after a few years going to France decide to tour elsewhere so I suppose its only natural to feel more at home there. I tend to think of France as a place for holidays and the rest of Europe as a place to travel around.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Last week the bad roads broke every screw holding my consumer unit and threw everything out of the bathroom, and took all the cushions off the settee.

The same thing happens to me when I'm impatient to get away from somewhere, and drive too fast for the conditions, ignore warning signs etc and then blame everything & everybody else for the damage caused. ;)

The same thing happens to me when I'm impatient to get away from somewhere, and drive too fast for the conditions, ignore warning signs etc and then blame everything & everybody else for the damage caused. ;)

:goodpost::goodpost: :goodpost:

van Bessacar 625 towed by Mercedes M class 3. 2 cdi.

we do 6mths at home (winter) 6mths touring (summer)

Retired & loving it.--------- :D Adventure before Dementia. :P

Having spent the best part of 40 years holidaying in France, in tents, rentatents, gites, and more recently returning to a caravan, I have to agree with David that it feels like home when over there.

Land Rover is now back towing.

Having spent the best part of 40 years holidaying in France, in tents, rentatents, gites, and more recently returning to a caravan, I have to agree with David that it feels like home when over there.

For some of us it is home. ..and very pleasant and enjoyable it is to. ...

Of all the countries in Europe I find France the worst, I just cannot find a single word that is good to say about it. From getting ripped off at the tolls to shaking the van to destruction on the side roads, to the shops that are forever closed, the camp sites are from the dark ages, and most have never heard off hot water.

I have travelled extensively through france, and as late as last week and I am always very glad to get thorough it, unfortunately I have to pass through to get anywhere decent.

France you can keep it.

Which France would that be then? Certainly not the one we go to and enjoy enormously.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

Which France would that be then? Certainly not the one we go to and enjoy enormously.

Spot on WT. I think Bopeep has lost his sheep.

Sometimes I sit and think. Sometimes I sit and listen. Sometimes I sit and watch. Most times I just sit.

Glen and les we stayed at Campingplatz Munstertal in southern Black Forest very near lovely town of Staufen. Has own very comprehensive website in English and staff do reply in English to email. Does book up quickly as huge number of regulars. Spa onsite and inside and outside pools are a lovely plus and toilet facilities and such are simply 5*

Happy to help further as and when you book up

Whole area is lovely

Thanks. Our planning is in the very early stages, but if someone recommends a site I like to earmark it for future reference. Thanks also for your offer of assistance, if required.

Glen.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

France you can keep it.

How strange. When we were in south Brittany two years ago we marvelled at how they had the money to make the roads so superb and thought they made our roads look like a third world country.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

Having driven down via Belgium I would never moan about French roads! They make our roads look fantastic!

Shows how we are all different. I also feel "at home" in Florida and USA in general but have been a number of times over the years so I guess that may be why

Wherever I lower my steadies, that's my home. (with apologies to Paul Young) :rolleyes:

If 5 miles an hour is too fast then I am guilty, it is absolutely impossible considering the obstacles they place in the way to speed, especially with all the tractors and wide loads in the way.

No you can keep France and the French.

two houses next door to me are rented and this week it is the French, still screaming and Whooping at 5 am this morning same as every morning.

If you cross through France on the rip off toll roads you will not understand, get on the side roads and then things are different.

If 5 miles an hour is too fast then I am guilty, it is absolutely impossible considering the obstacles they place in the way to speed, especially with all the tractors and wide loads in the way.

No you can keep France and the French.

two houses next door to me are rented and this week it is the French, still screaming and Whooping at 5 am this morning same as every morning.

If you cross through France on the rip off toll roads you will not understand, get on the side roads and then things are different.

I rarely use toll roads, don't find there is a need, occasionally I get caught behind a tractor and can't remember the last wide load. I do get a little fed up with the 'sleeping policemen' which are becoming more common. Though I find the Spanish toll roads as expensive as the French.

On the whole I find the main roads, motorways in France and Spain are very similar, the minor roads are better in France in that they have tarmac on while in many cases in Spain they do not.

As for your neighbours, that is one of the issues of living in Spain, you have bought your house to live in while your neighbours have bought theirs to rent out to holiday makers to make money. I'm sure it is a widespread conflict of interest but hardly something to hold against all of the French nation!!

Getting back on the topic.

Strangely I know how you feel. We tour for 12 weeks each year mainly around France, Germany, Austria, Italy, Poland and then back through France.

All the other countries seem to have, lets call them "Rustic" camp sites for tourers as they mainly cater for statics & self build cabins on their sites and have very basic touring pitches (not all of course but an awful lot imo).

On return to France the country does have that "home feel" (pity it is full of French!). I do love their supermarkets for the spaciousness and fresh produce (British supermarkets have a lot to learn in that respect).

What I do dislike across most of the above is this insistence of closing up check in at 12 or 1pm for a couple of hours especially in Germany and France - there is nothing worse than being 5 mins past these times and having to sit outside for a couple of hours - if that happens I just keep going on the road and choose another site.

Alan J

Bailey Pageant S6 Bordeaux Tow Car BMW X5 3. 0D

When we go across the channel to Europe we like to take the shortest route through and out of France do not feel "at Home" there at all and breath a sigh of relief when we cross the border into Belgium. Funny we find Supermarkets all over Germany and Austria with better selection than here in the UK and for a lot cheaper too.

Regarding the roads in Belgium we travel up and down them every year this year some have been upgraded and far better than some of our Motorways. Down to Germany on the Brussels Ring has been vastly improved and we had no problems with the caravan on tow. .

Elddis Crusader Storm with Kia Sorento XS

Joys of European Caravanning

We found the German supermarkets well stocked and prices good actually but you can only eat so many pork dishes! Glad to get some nice fish here back in France .

As for roads in Belgium I can only assume we must have missed all the upgraded autoroutes on our way down from Calais to Lux. ... They were truly awful in places

Loads I enjoyed about Germany and we will certainly be going back at some point