Opinions On Mendip Magnum 540

Tiger2103

Hi guys, newbies looking to buy first caravan, we're going to view a 2006 mendip magnum 540 on weekend, it's a 2 hour drive so I want to make sure It's worth our while . We're aware that some vans are better quality than others so I was looking for some opinions on the caravan we're looking at, anything in particular we need to be looking for, obviously damp is main concern, what are the usual places to check with a meter, are these vans vulnerable to any particular faults etc?

As usual many thanks in advance

Hi guys, newbies looking to buy first caravan, we're going to view a 2006 mendip magnum 540 on weekend, it's a 2 hour drive so I want to make sure It's worth our while . We're aware that some vans are better quality than others so I was looking for some opinions on the caravan we're looking at, anything in particular we need to be looking for, obviously damp is main concern, what are the usual places to check with a meter, are these vans vulnerable to any particular faults etc?

As usual many thanks in advance

Hi Tiger, we've had our Mendip magnum 524 for 10 years now and were very happy with it, it's based on the Compass corona and apart from finding a small leak around the water heater flue this year which was easily fixed it's perfectly dry with no damp, your going to get the usual small problems that all caravans get, being bits of cupboard trim coming away etc but they're easily stuck back on.

Ours is a 2003 model so older than the one your going to view but if your after a basic comfortable no frills caravan that's easy to do a bit of upgrading In the future ( I've just installed all new LED lights) you should be ok.

Ours has the BWP swing Vtec chassis with winterhoff hitch and weighting 1350 kg has towed well behind all the cars we've had, obviously it's not the most fanciest looking van on the roads but it doesn't look out of place and too dated when sited among newish caravans, not should that matter.

We've often thought about upgrading but whilst ours is still watertight and everything is still working ok there seems no point.

Hope this has helped

Cheers

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG

Topic moved to Caravans - other models to achieve better exposure.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion